Oceanview room bed placement

RoxiRoo

Hello, We are considering a HAL cruise (Canada/New England) and will probably book an OV room. I really don't want to book a room with the bed directly under the porthole window. Which HAL ships have OV rooms with the beds NOT under the window? I am hoping someone knows the answer to this question. :)

Thank you!

Julie

We have sailed in an Ocean View cabin on a number of HAL ships. (Others may have sailed on a HAL ship in an OV with a different experience.)

In our experience, the beds in an OV have ALWAYS been on the wall with the Window. However, we simply have the steward separate the beds, leading to free floor space between the beds. As a result, the nightstands are under the window, but one can easily watch out the window standing in front of the nightstands. We think the room looks much roomier this way as well as freeing-up space to look out the window.

Now in our younger days we liked the beds together and made as one. Now (married 50+ yrs) we have no problem with separate beds for travel if it is advantageous for other reasons.

What ship?

Most HAL ships have large windows in their outsides cabins. Very few portholes.

Possibly the H/C cabins would have beds placed differently.

Vista class ships (Zuiderdam) have a lot of obstructed outsides with the beds where you want them!

Edited by SilvertoGold

And there's a good chance I might be anyway, but I'm pretty sure that the beds are placed parallel to the window in the regular ocean-view cabins on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. I happened to walk by one where the door was open and am pretty sure that's what I saw.

You need to be more specific about the ship or class you are considering. On Oosterda, the beds were under the window. But OV cabins I saw on Nieuw Amsterdam were on side wall. I have checked cruisedeckplans.com and on Veendam they are under the window except in Lanai cabins. On Rotterdam they are under the window. Some on Westerdam on Upper Prom deck have beds on side wall. So, I don't know how you tell. EM

Thank you all.

I cannot be more specific on which ship, because placement of the bed will help me narrow down which ships I would consider. :)

I do want the bed parallel to the window. In Ocean View. Just something about having my back/head to the outside of the ship while sailing really freaks me out (I know, I am weird).

So, based on all the excellent replies so far, I will look at Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam and possibly Vista class ships. :)

Thank you!

So, based on all the excellent replies so far, I will look at Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam and possibly Vista class ships. :
ONLY the Eurodam and Nieuw A have the beds parallel to the outside wall in the Main deck C/D/E/F OVs, but both Vistas and Sig's have them that way in the deck 4 G/H/HH.

R&S class ships have the head of the bed under the window. The Prinsendam has the beds on the forward or aft walls, but that won't be doing any NE/Canada itineraries this year or early next year at least.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you all.

I cannot be more specific on which ship, because placement of the bed will help me narrow down which ships I would consider. :)

I do want the bed parallel to the window. In Ocean View. Just something about having my back/head to the outside of the ship while sailing really freaks me out (I know, I am weird).

So, based on all the excellent replies so far, I will look at Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam and possibly Vista class ships. :)

Thank you!

If you want to do the Canada New England this year, your choice is the Zuiderdam then, in an obstructed view cabin.

How about a balcony on any of the three ships doing the Canada New England cruise this year: Rotterdam, Veendam and Zuiderdam: the bed set-up you want?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Looking at the sailing schedule from now to Apr 2017, your only choice for an OV the way you want to NE/Canada is a deck 4 G/H/HH on the Zuiderdam Sep 7th to 30th this year.

Edited by jtl513

I will definitely try to do a balcony room. Need to start saving up for it now! Thanks for all of your help. I was trying to save a little money, but I would rather be comfortable.

On the Vista ships (and probably NA and Eurodam) there are many more balconies, so the price difference between those and OV isn't as significant as with the smaller, older ships.