Anthem "On the Road Again"

misslucy01

Hoping all is well on Anthem. I was just on the Carnival board and Pride is late returning due to weather. Also, someone mentioned NCL Breakaway was late coming in. I'm just reporting what I've read;)

It looks as if the Breakaway is in port.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/ncl_breakaway/breakaway1.php

I think for the sake of "closure" people would simply like to know what went wrong in the decision process, because clearly in this day and age the ship and its captain should have been fully aware of the conditions out there. This is 2016 after all.

I'm on the Grandeur now, sailed out of Baltimore yesterday. Anthem should be a few hundred miles behind us but if they are getting the same seas we are the seas are probably in the 8 to 10 foot range but trailing us so the ride is actually pretty smooth. We're off North Carolina and it's still pretty cold, one could go skating on the pool deck.

Sorry, but can someone put a nice picture in, for example from the Anthem. Now, there is one of some one, I don't want to remember, the worst Dutch airplane captain ever, Jacob Veldhuysen van Zanten

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

We were on the January 15th 10 night that turned into an 11 night because of "weather" on the way back from St. Kitt's so the Captain "spoke" with Miami and said the decision was made to take another course somewhat hugging the east coast from northeastern Florida up the Carolina's back to Bayonne. He added another 286 miles. On the way south on the second night we were in 20-25 foot seas with a malfunctioning stabilizer causing the ship to roll in access of 4 degrees which is not too much compared to what happened last week. But there again the Captain we had finished his 10 week and was replaced by the previous Captain that's in Miami.

We had a bridge tour that was quite interesting and shown all the state of the art navigational equipment along with the large map showing the plot plan, the same that has been shown on you tube with the Captain and Abe Hughes (the best Cruise Director we ever had )

Although three Staff officers are required on the Bridge at all times I don't think much "pre-cruise" weather warnings were studied very carefully.

Let's hope to read some postings from those presently on board the Anthem to get a passenger count. I can't help but thinking there were people that were very reluctant wanting to still take the voyage so soon after what took place last week.

We were on the January 15th 10 night that turned into an 11 night because of "weather" on the way back from St. Kitt's so the Captain "spoke" with Miami and said the decision was made to take another course somewhat hugging the east coast from northeastern Florida up the Carolina's back to Bayonne. He added another 286 miles. On the way south on the second night we were in 20-25 foot seas with a malfunctioning stabilizer causing the ship to roll in access of 4 degrees which is not too much compared to what happened last week. But there again the Captain we had finished his 10 week and was replaced by the previous Captain that's in Miami.

We had a bridge tour that was quite interesting and shown all the state of the art navigational equipment along with the large map showing the plot plan, the same that has been shown on you tube with the Captain and Abe Hughes (the best Cruise Director we ever had )

Although three Staff officers are required on the Bridge at all times I don't think much "pre-cruise" weather warnings were studied very carefully.

Let's hope to read some postings from those presently on board the Anthem to get a passenger count. I can't help but thinking there were people that were very reluctant wanting to still take the voyage so soon after what took place last week.

The ship has sailed full......:rolleyes:

Just want to know the truth w/o opinions..headache reading it all and that is my fault...it is still great to have a place to hash it out...when will some kind of official study by all the players in the actual policing of it all be released???..and Please let us mark that thread...I'll be watching...

Just want to know the truth w/o opinions..headache reading it all and that is my fault...it is still great to have a place to hash it out...when will some kind of official study by all the players in the actual policing of it all be released???..and Please let us mark that thread...I'll be watching...

I understand the National Transportation Safety Board was called in to assist with the investigation. They typically get involved when there is a collision of some sort. Whatever, they are known to be very thorough and careful, taking their time to analyze all available data and testimony, before releasing their findings as to probable causes, both direct and contributing factors. Sometimes they can take a year or more, especially if data recovery is difficult.

Whatever they do find....let us hope all can learn from it, and take whatever positive steps necessary to prevent something similar occurring again...

...Although three Staff officers are required on the Bridge at all times...
I thought that when underway the requirement was for the Officer of the Watch and an Able Seaman as lookout. That's what I recall from being on the Bridge of Oasis last week, but I wasn't taking notes, so may be wrong. Obviously the company can require more, but I wouldn't think that Anthem would have a larger compliment than the larger Oasis.

I'm sitting here with a kitty on my lap, got the fire going WOT keeping it a cozy 84 inside, it's -3 outside and there's ice building up on the edges of the windows. Going to get 6" of snow later before turning to freezing rain.

Ran out of pop corn but will broil up some true MD crabcakes courtesy of G&M later today while the wife bakes a cake.

March 2nd is coming, then it's our turn to hit the high seas from a cabin just about at the water line, har har! But at least I won't have to stoke the fires to keep my feet from freezing. 100 year old chestnut planking feels like ice on bare feet this time of the year!

Can I come over? Sounds lovely

The Last post that I saw from someone on Anthem this week indicated that any repairs that had to be made were 75% complete with the last remaining ones to be completed during the cruise.

It's great to hear that so much progress was made in such a short time.

You have to keep in mind that besides the issue that was with the propulsion system, the crew had to go through each cabin and clean up issues room by room.

We tend to focus on public areas, but there's so much to cover on such a large ship.

Not to mention dividers that had blown off, shattered glass, etc.

My hats go off to the crew and staff that turned things around so quickly.

Hopefully by now the iFly and North Star are back up and running and that you are all having a terrific cruise.

I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews of this cruise so that I can live vicariously through the experiences of others for the next 4+ months!

:D

I understand the National Transportation Safety Board was called in to assist with the investigation. They typically get involved when there is a collision of some sort. Whatever, they are known to be very thorough and careful, taking their time to analyze all available data and testimony, before releasing their findings as to probable causes, both direct and contributing factors. Sometimes they can take a year or more, especially if data recovery is difficult.

Whatever they do find....let us hope all can learn from it, and take whatever positive steps necessary to prevent something similar occurring again...

Thank you so much. I so agree.

My dad is so hard headed he is on the total con side...and tonight at dinner..I tried to say there are more varying issues than one would first think about these ships and their storm abilities after reading here; but I have about given up cruising with him. So agree with your hopes...just want all pieces gone over with clarity and safety in learning with all these ships and all their size and weather issues worsening.

Thanks for this, and it is good to know that they try with all angles and when they are called in and they were.

Have a friend that has worked for the government on train safety close to retirement....he has said it will get worse because not enough attention to detail with younger guys in his arena...maybe all transportation will get better as we need more mass transit and pop. grows. I still want my cruises...but safely and really knowing the truth. Thanks again. Choose wiser storm times, and watch reports is the best we have now as we wait if concerned...and wanting the truth here. Thank you...about a year.

Edited by sjn911

I thought that when underway the requirement was for the Officer of the Watch and an Able Seaman as lookout. That's what I recall from being on the Bridge of Oasis last week, but I wasn't taking notes, so may be wrong. Obviously the company can require more, but I wouldn't think that Anthem would have a larger compliment than the larger Oasis.
this poster has given out the WRONG information....:rolleyes: