Anchorage - store recommendations to buy binoculars

kazda

Hi

We will be in Anchorage prior to travelling to Whittier to board our cruise.

Does anybody have recommendations on where we can purchase binoculars in Anchorage. ?

We are staying at Captain Cook Hotel and not sure if any sporting stores are nearby to make the purchase, or that we can catch a cab to if the store is not in walking distance.

Taking into account the AUS to US exchange rate and our need for 2 pairs, our budget is around $100 US each

Hoping somebody can advise of stores around Anchorage selling binoculars that would fit our budget

Thanks

Karen

Edited by kazda

6th Avenue Outfitters downtown would have some. http://www.6thavenueoutfitters.com/

I'm not sure if there would be any stores in the 5th Ave Mall that would have any... The Big Ray's on 4th Avenue might have some too. https://www.bigrays.com/

If you want to take a bus or cab, Anchorage has REI, a couple of Sports Authorities, a Bass Pro, a Cabelas, Sportsman Warehouse, Mt. View Sports, Fred Meyers, and Walmart, all of which would have binoculars.

Hi

We will be in Anchorage prior to travelling to Whittier to board our cruise.

Does anybody have recommendations on where we can purchase binoculars in Anchorage. ?

We are staying at Captain Cook Hotel and not sure if any sporting stores are nearby to make the purchase, or that we can catch a cab to if the store is not in walking distance.

Taking into account the AUS to US exchange rate and our need for 2 pairs, our budget is around $100 US each

Hoping somebody can advise of stores around Anchorage selling binoculars that would fit our budget

Thanks

Karen

I would think they would be more expensive in Alaska. Someone said REI, they are very expensive. Did you check Kathmandu stores, in Sidney we shopped and got some good buys.

Edited by ozark74

you probably can't buy from amazon.com (probably need a US credit card), but if you can, you can do what i did - i ordered our binoculars on amazon and had them shipped to our hotel in anchorage (along with all the cold weather and rain gear that we needed).

worked like a charm.

Thanks for the info, however we want to actually try before we buy so online ordering would not work for us.

Thanks for the info, however we want to actually try before we buy so online ordering would not work for us.

we didn't have that option. there was no time in the schedule for shopping.

so i read and read and read about what's needed in alaska (waterproof and anti-fog) and what's appropriate for marine use.

and then i read and read and read some more.

i first had to buy for my daughter's honeymoon trip to alaska 5 years ago.

after lots of research, i decided to go compact for them (since my daughter has to carry everything in her backpack, as my son in law broke his back a few years back and can't carry any weight without consequences).

so compact it was....these are what i ordered for her on amazon and had them delivered to her hotel in fairbanks (see the link below).....

she and her husband loved them and they continue to use them at home for birdwatching....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JNWCDE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages03

so when we went to alaska last summer, i ordered a pair of these for myself to carry in my backpack as well as a regular (not compact) pair for use on the ship...

for myself i bought the following two and had them delivered to our hotel in anchorage:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JNWCDE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages03

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U0Z0O0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages03

i should add that i live overseas, which is why i wasn't able to try them out in person - none of the stores where we live carry waterproof binoculars....so my only choice was to order...but i have an american credit card so it's easy for me to order on amazon.com and have it shipped to anywhere in america (i do it all the time when we visit disneyworld)

Edited by alaska_planner

A few years back a group of my cousins from Colorado came up for a cruise and Central Alaska touring. They wanted binoculars, so I took them out to Sportsmen's Warehouse. They had a good selection and were happy with the ones they bought. Today, I would probably take them to Cabelas as it is much larger (huge, in fact many visitors just go there to see all the exhibits), but it wasn't here then.

REI is one of my favorites but my guess would be their binoculars would be more the compact size and I have never had any luck with those small ones.

All three of those stores though would involve a pretty long cab run from the Cook. Maybe you could look into the People Mover, its main station isn't far at all from the Cook.

We also have one of these Bass Pro Shop hunting and outdoor gear outlets in Anchorage now, and it is on the opposite end of 5th Avenue (east) from the Cook so a cab shouldn't be all that much. I've never been in that sporting good store so don't know much about it other than it has a national reputation that rivals Cabelas.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies

We have now decided to hire a car for the day for a bit of sight seeing and head down to Alaska Wildlife centre, so we will now be able to get around to the sports stores easier than getting a cab.

Thanks for the recommendations of stores, we will check out Cabelas and Bass and Pro have.