Two gala nights on a 15 day cruise

cruz chic

My cruise docs for our upcoming 33 day cruise say there will only be five gala nights. I was quite surprised to read that. Pleased though, as it will make packing easier.

It looks that that is in line with the amount of gala on my cruise (prorated). It will be much easier to pack.

Not that long ago, a 33 day cruise would have had almost double formal nights. There probably would have been 9 or 10.

There have been 8 formal nights on cruises of 33-35 days going back at least as far as 2003. I've taken several of that length in that time period.

There have been 8 formal nights on cruises of 33-35 days going back at least as far as 2003. I've taken several of that length in that time period.

Makes sense. There used to be 6 on a 22-day, then they turned the last one into "formal optional" and then it was all downhill from then on.:D

That's my experience too Ruth. And our 8 was reduced to 6 -as it was very port intensive.

That's my experience too Ruth. And our 8 was reduced to 6 -as it was very port intensive.

I've taken a lot of cruises of 20+ days, up to 39 days. What I noticed under the old formal nights system was that it was pretty much held to 2 formal nights per week, until you got up near the 20-day range. Then, it had to be a full week before even one more formal night was added. So, even though it would seem that there should have been more than 8 formal nights once it got to 33 or 34 days, there weren't. Even at 35 I would have expected 10, but no---it was 8.

I wish I had copied, or at least made a mental note, of the chart for number of Gala nights per length of cruise. I must have seen it on this site, but don't remember anything else except there was one.

It would be handy to have.

RuthC, I may have found what you are referring to. I have a pretty good memory (as you do, apparently!) and found what I think is the post. The info on # of formal nights is toward the end of the post.

(I'm also pretty good at Search, despite CC's Search function not being terribly friendly ;) )

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43972317&postcount=3

RuthC, I may have found what you are referring to.

That's probably it! :D I would remember something written in table format.

Thanks for confirming my memory, and giving us the specific number of Gala nights for cruise length.

Nice hunting.

Sounds exactly right based on the table Cow Princess linked to.

Nice to see some consistency for a change.

"Consistency" and "HAL" are not often used in the same sentence. :D

Edited by sail7seas

• 1 year later...