Zaandam or Nieuw Amsterdam for Alaska

T8NCruise

Would like your thoughts about this please :)

We are going to Alaska this year. Two ships are being considered. The Nieuw Amsterdam May 7 or 14, and the Zaandam May 15.

Have been on Rhyndam and Oosterdam several years before this. Those are both different size than the ships now being thought about.

Have been reading Holland Forum and Alaska Forum. Alaska Forum mostly says the itinerary is more imporant than the ship. For us, Alaska is Alaska, and the ship is important.

Does anyone have thoughts about these two ships? Which would be better? What are the differences that might impel you to pick one or the other?

Must: leave from Vancouver, travel in May.

Thank you.

We were on the Zaandam for a S. Amaerica cruise as well as two other cruises and loved it. however we both love the Tamarind specialty restaurant and as this is currently only available on the NA and Eurodam we would take the NA. It is a much bigger ship but still feels like like HAL.

We are on the May 7th NA, but really only because that cruise fits with other plans. It will be our first time on that ship. If I was making a choice for just DH and I, it would be the Volendam because I like that mid-week itinerary, and a bit later in the season.

BTW - welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

Edited by Lizzie68

Have been on Rhyndam and Oosterdam several years before this. Those are both different size than the ships now being thought about.

Does anyone have thoughts about these two ships? Which would be better? What are the differences that might impel you to pick one or the other?

To me the Nieuw A doesn't feel much bigger than the Vista class (e.g. Oosterdam) but definitely much larger than the Ryndam. We like the Tamarind so much that we would choose that over the Zaandam if both itineraries are similar.

We've never been on the Zaandam but have been on the sister-ship Amsterdam. Although bigger than the Ryndam, the center elevator bank helps this class ship feel closer to the Ryndam than to the Oosterdam.

Zaandam goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, so that means something to me, maybe not to you. Twice the opportunity for glacier viewing. We took Volendam to Alaska, same size as Zaandam, good outside viewing areas. And inside viewing form full size Crow's Nest lounge.

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam last fall. We are not into Asian food so Tamarind holds no sway with us but the ship was nice.

What kind of room are you looking at? Our NA balcony room was a bit smaller than I'd have liked and than I think they are on Zaandam. Love seat vs a couch, no drawers in the vanity on NA. We have often taken insides, so on NA you'll have to get a large inside if you want a couch - not many available, more are available on Zaandam.

I like the library better on Zaandam, more centrally located and not part of the Crow's' Nest as on NA.

Show lounge on Zaandam is a bit more intimate. BB King on the NA if you can stand the loudness of it, I couldn't so I wouldn't do that again, but many people rave about the BB King lounge.

No self-service laundry on NA, but on a 1 week cruise that may not matter.

Both good choices. Happy planning, m--

We have been on the Zaandam twice, both times in Neptune Suites. Have not been on the NA. I am considering the Zaandam this year (the one you are looking at) simply because of the itinerary, definitely not because of the ship. The ship was "okay" but I would never book a cruise on it just to be on it. It was "okay" but not "outstanding" or "memorable".

Welcome to CC.

If itinerary truly doesn't matter to you (in Alaska, it does to me), then I would choose the Zaandam over the Nieuw Amsterdam. There are much better choices of sheltered outdoor space from which to enjoy the views.

Besides, she has a music theme which is beautifully carried out in the décor.

The ship is similar in layout to the Ryndam, with the addition of a mid-ship elevator bank/staircase. None of the back-tracking you had on the Ryndam! Because she's smaller than the Nieuw Amsterdam, she's easier to get around quickly, which can be important for scenic cruising.

Edited by RuthC

Great question. I adore both ships, but I'm partial to Zaandam just because she is smaller and I think the class of ship she is (Rotterdam) has better cabin design. As mentioned before, the library/Exporations Cafe is where it belongs - NOT in the Crows Nest ! The Zaandam feels like staying at your rich Aunts house in Westchester County or Carmel, full of thoughtful finishes in decor (exception The Mix). Nieuw Amsterdam is a departure from earlier HAL ships in that the decor is somber and sleek, missing the sometimes bright purple, reds, & teals common on older ships in the fleet. You can't go wrong on either one.

Zaandam goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, so that means something to me, maybe not to you. Twice the opportunity for glacier viewing.

I think you have it backwards. Zaandam only goes to Tracy Arm on that particular cruise.

The NA goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, though the Tracy Arm visit (for the NA) is an optional excursion on a smaller vessel. The main ship just stops briefly at Tracy Arm on the way to Juneau, and the 100 or so passengers who booked the Tracy Arm excursion get onto the smaller boat, do the trip, and rejoin the ship in Juneau.

As to the OP's question, we have not experienced the Zaandam, but we did cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam this last Christmas, and will be taking it to Alaska this summer (in early July). It's a lovely ship.

OP,

We were in the same boat as you, so to speak. We chose the May 15th Zaandam cruise over the New Amsterdam. For us, the deciding factor was the verandah cabin size. Having sailed (and loved both these ships) we knew the Zaandam verandah would be noticeably bigger than the NA verandah (and also $200 per person cheaper than the NA sailing).

But ... We have sailed Alaska twice already and enjoyed Glacier Bay (included in the NA itinerary, but not on the Zaandam schedule). So, we are taking a chance on Tracy Arm with Zaandam in that I have read that ships are not always able to sail in there due to prevailing weather conditions. This may or may not be a factor for you. As others have already pointed out, Zaandam is smaller and older and lacks the wonderful Tamarind Restaurant. Again, may or may not matter to you.

In the end, it was a delightful dilemma that we (like you)faced, but I don't think you could go wring with either choice.

Let us know what you decide and enjoy fabulous Alaska.

Marion

Are balcony cabins the same on both ships?

Balcony cabins (just abut all cabins) on the Zaandam are larger than cabins in a comparable category on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

That is, a Vista suite on the Zaandam is larger than a Vista cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam; the same is true for Neptune Suites. Signature Suites don't exist on the Zaandam.

Pinnacle Suites are so large, who can tell! I can get lost in both of them. :D

I think you have it backwards. Zaandam only goes to Tracy Arm on that particular cruise.

The NA goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, though the Tracy Arm visit (for the NA) is an optional excursion on a smaller vessel. The main ship just stops briefly at Tracy Arm on the way to Juneau, and the 100 or so passengers who booked the Tracy Arm excursion get onto the smaller boat, do the trip, and rejoin the ship in Juneau.

As to the OP's question, we have not experienced the Zaandam, but we did cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam this last Christmas, and will be taking it to Alaska this summer (in early July). It's a lovely ship.

Yes it looks like I got it backwards! Thanks for catching that, not meaning to be confusing.

We had a cruise on Volendam in late May that was scheduled for both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, but we couldn't get into Tracy Arm due to ice, only got up a very short distance into the channel and didn't get to see the glaciers. So we were very glad to have Glacier Bay also on the itinerary! m--

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, balconies are larger (with sunbed) on Zaandam. Cabins and bathroom is also larger. As I agree most of what Marion, RuthC and Myrtle wrote, I do not repeat their comments. I sailed Zaandam to Antarctica, Eurodam (sistership to Nieuw Amsterdam) to Greenland. Both in balcony-cabin. Though I liked the Greenland-cruise best, I, without doubt, recommend the ship Zaandam. It is a very long story to explain why (has little to do with cabin-size), so I prefer to stop now.

Yes, balconies are larger (with sunbed) on Zaandam. Cabins and bathroom is also larger. As I agree most of what Marion, RuthC and Myrtle wrote, I do not repeat their comments. I sailed Zaandam to Antarctica, Eurodam (sistership to Nieuw Amsterdam) to Greenland. Both in balcony-cabin. Though I liked the Greenland-cruise best, I, without doubt, recommend the ship Zaandam. It is a very long story to explain why (has little to do with cabin-size), so I prefer to stop now.