Holiday Inn POM-Updates on Closure

Sea saw 56

Several that are 'Miami area experts' post on this Florida Forum regularly. Please keep us up-to-date on any news concerning closing of this hotel, as some have reported the sale of the property will result in this hotels demise.

I still have it on my radar, in fact I have a bay view suite booked in December.

I do plan to book an alternate reservation 'just in case'.

Several that are 'Miami area experts' post on this Florida Forum regularly. Please keep us up-to-date on any news concerning closing of this hotel, as some have reported the sale of the property will result in this hotels demise.

I still have it on my radar, in fact I have a bay view suite booked in December.

I do plan to book an alternate reservation 'just in case'.

I sell commercial real estate and projects like this take YEARS to sell and transition to actually being torn down.

I'd say you were good through 2017 unless we have another real estate downturn. With the overbuilding that is currently happening downtown Miami, I'd wager there is a 50/50 chance of the building going away.

If this was me I would have a backup hotel. Just make a reservation somewhere else.

I agree with BlueHerons but you never know. Someone could close on the hotel and literally close it if the intent is to just get the hotel to take it down and build something new.

Keith

If this was me I would have a backup hotel. Just make a reservation somewhere else.

I agree with BlueHerons but you never know. Someone could close on the hotel and literally close it if the intent is to just get the hotel to take it down and build something new.

Keith

The deal on the hotel has already closed. Eventually it will become a 77 story mixed use project that will house hotel rooms, condos, retail and office space.

However, the sale was structured as a sale-leaseback for now since that Holiday Inn is one of the most successful in the country and earns about $5 million a year so holds it own. They will time it so that it gets built as long as the market remains strong.

Now many of the major builders here (Uggo Columbo as an example) have scaled back on one or two projects so who knows. I'm having dinner with one of the prominent builders/owners down here on Thursday as he is very close with my husband so I will have to ask him his opinion on construction. He and his family are currently building massive things down here including what will be the tallest building and has been doing it for a very long time.

I sell commercial real estate and projects like this take YEARS to sell and transition to actually being torn down.

I'd say you were good through 2017 unless we have another real estate downturn. With the overbuilding that is currently happening downtown Miami, I'd wager there is a 50/50 chance of the building going away.

Good to hear I think...We should be safe for our upcoming April 2016 cruise then am I correct? Or should I book a back up?

Good to hear I think...We should be safe for our upcoming April 2016 cruise then am I correct? Or should I book a back up?

I would book a back up, something that can be cancelled without penalty.

You will be just fine for your April 2016.

They aren't going to take the building down until they have pulled permits for the new construction and that's not going to happen for a while. They have a lease-back in place and the property is paying for itself. These things take time.

That is great to hear. I am sure rates are higher for the Intercontinental and the YVE now that it is getting so close to my needed dates ,if even anything is available. I am calming down now but for a few minutes I hit "panic mode"....

I am a planner and booked the Holiday Inn last July.

The deal on the hotel has already closed. Eventually it will become a 77 story mixed use project that will house hotel rooms, condos, retail and office space.

However, the sale was structured as a sale-leaseback for now since that Holiday Inn is one of the most successful in the country and earns about $5 million a year so holds it own. They will time it so that it gets built as long as the market remains strong.

Now many of the major builders here (Uggo Columbo as an example) have scaled back on one or two projects so who knows. I'm having dinner with one of the prominent builders/owners down here on Thursday as he is very close with my husband so I will have to ask him his opinion on construction. He and his family are currently building massive things down here including what will be the tallest building and has been doing it for a very long time.

Hello!

I just used your post as a quote because you are also one of the Miami "Go-To" people....just like BlueHerons!

You seem to really know what's happening with all the building and I just curious if you had any insight in the new hotels...ME Melia, The Langford and East. I'll be staying post-cruise for two days at Loews in Miami Beach but looking for my pre-cruise stay and wanting something different.

Hello!

I just used your post as a quote because you are also one of the Miami "Go-To" people....just like BlueHerons!

You seem to really know what's happening with all the building and I just curious if you had any insight in the new hotels...ME Melia, The Langford and East. I'll be staying post-cruise for two days at Loews in Miami Beach but looking for my pre-cruise stay and wanting something different.

Ha! Actually, Carolyn is the Miami expert, I just spend time down there. My expertise is more Fort Lauderdale these days.

This project will take a while as I said.

Carolyn, out of curiosity, I can't believe the sale happened overnight. How long was the property for sale?

I'm sure I can look it up on Loop net but figured you'd know the actual numbers.

Email me if you get a chance!

Ha! Actually, Carolyn is the Miami expert, I just spend time down there. My expertise is more Fort Lauderdale these days.

This project will take a while as I said.

Carolyn, out of curiosity, I can't believe the sale happened overnight. How long was the property for sale?

I'm sure I can look it up on Loop net but figured you'd know the actual numbers.

Email me if you get a chance!

Email sent!

I think it was about 18 months that it took to close.

Edited by cjskids

You will be just fine for your April 2016.

They aren't going to take the building down until they have pulled permits for the new construction and that's not going to happen for a while. They have a lease-back in place and the property is paying for itself. These things take time.

Thank you to both you and BlueHerons for all of the info and updates you provide. Imagine landing in Miami to find the hotel was closed. Cruise Critic is always my place to go....

I have stayed here twice, once in 2009 and again last October. I had a feeling then, that the hotel would not be around for much longer. From the outside it just had that "out of place" look, surrounded by modern buildings. Even the YVE looked more modern.

I did have an excellent stay here both times however and the staff were excellent here. Something told me to book elsewhere this year, and that is what I have done. Holiday Inn will likely still be there in September, but I might as well start scouting out some new hotels, for future cruises:)

Interesting info though. Thanks to all for sharing.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thank you to both you and BlueHerons for all of the info and updates you provide. Imagine landing in Miami to find the hotel was closed. Cruise Critic is always my place to go....

You are welcome! And I agree, cruise critic is the place to find out info. I sat on my sofa and watched the Oceania cruise ship come in the other night, cruise ships just don't come in at night. Nothing was on our local news so I came here to look it up. Sure enough, found out the ship was returning 2 days early to be scrubbed down because of Norovirus and they got everyone off. My friends and I were out on one of my balconies last night and watched it leave, so I guess it's now good to go.

You are welcome! And I agree, cruise critic is the place to find out info. I sat on my sofa and watched the Oceania cruise ship come in the other night, cruise ships just don't come in at night. Nothing was on our local news so I came here to look it up. Sure enough, found out the ship was returning 2 days early to be scrubbed down because of Norovirus and they got everyone off. My friends and I were out on one of my balconies last night and watched it leave, so I guess it's now good to go.

I am so jealous of your view! While Detroit has some beautiful old buildings and is on the up-swing with the new mayor, it still has a long way to go. To add insult to injury, we had a 60 degree weekend (very odd for the end of February) and today (3 days later) they're calling for 8-20 inches of snow....depending on how far north you live from Detroit! :eek: Then...50 degrees again next weekend!

Many thanks to you, BlueHerons and Keith1010! I'll be staying at Loews post-cruise but I can't decide where I want to stay pre-cruise. Currently have a room at the Hampton Inn Brickell...but rather curious about the new Langford.

Lots of time to dream about my cruise....and sunshine while we're getting dumped on!! ;)

I am so jealous of your view! While Detroit has some beautiful old buildings and is on the up-swing with the new mayor, it still has a long way to go. To add insult to injury, we had a 60 degree weekend (very odd for the end of February) and today (3 days later) they're calling for 8-20 inches of snow....depending on how far north you live from Detroit! :eek: Then...50 degrees again next weekend!

Many thanks to you, BlueHerons and Keith1010! I'll be staying at Loews post-cruise but I can't decide where I want to stay pre-cruise. Currently have a room at the Hampton Inn Brickell...but rather curious about the new Langford.

Lots of time to dream about my cruise....and sunshine while we're getting dumped on!! ;)

Yuck on the snow!!

The new Langford is in an historic building and looks to be a really cool boutique hotel. But....while the area is busy during the business week it can be a bit more unsettling at night walking around. Now I do have friends that live about block away so they are just more aware of their surroundings when they walk at night than they are when they are in the Brickell area.

It will certainly not have as much open around it for you to go to in the evening areas. At the Hampton Inn you will have many restaurants and bars to walk to that are open late.

Personally, I would chose the Hampton Inn Brickell. It is a much safer area at night than

The Hampton Inn is a great choice. Nice breakfast and you are right near Mary Brickell Village which we go to often for dinner.

Lots of choices.

Keith

The Hampton Inn is a great choice. Nice breakfast and you are right near Mary Brickell Village which we go to often for dinner.

Lots of choices.

Keith

I'll most likely keep this reservation. Even though I'm from the suburbs of Detroit and I'm pretty street-smart, I'll be alone for the first two nights I'm there. I'd much rather be safe....than in a new hotel! Thanks for the heads-up!!

We've already gotten about 2" of the lovely white stuff.....and now we have freezing rain! Gonna be a terrible ride home tonight!! :eek:

I'll most likely keep this reservation. Even though I'm from the suburbs of Detroit and I'm pretty street-smart, I'll be alone for the first two nights I'm there. I'd much rather be safe....than in a new hotel! Thanks for the heads-up!!

We've already gotten about 2" of the lovely white stuff.....and now we have freezing rain! Gonna be a terrible ride home tonight!! :eek:

We've got some of that white stuff here too. Good luck.

This makes sense as to why the hotel doesn't have a liquor license when we were there in November. The new owners probably haven't decided what they want to do yet and hence haven't renewed it. As long as I have a room to stay in on May 20th that they already hit my credit card for. If I show up and don't have a room, I will be forever upset!

This makes sense as to why the hotel doesn't have a liquor license when we were there in November. The new owners probably haven't decided what they want to do yet and hence haven't renewed it. As long as I have a room to stay in on May 20th that they already hit my credit card for. If I show up and don't have a room, I will be forever upset!

I know the feeling, my card has been charge also...As far as no liquor license I am sure we can find a drink somewhere nearby with the Bayside Marketplace just across the street. I am afraid that the hotel service might not be up to par but I plan on just sleeping there for 2 nights so again I am going to try not to worry. I will be on vacation afterall and not sitting here at my desk at work:eek: