All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I hope to add a start of a cruse review this weekend.  It's been a busy week.  I know I mentioned previously my work anniversary.  A coworker and I started a month apart, so while the bank celebrated my anniversary with a cake before my cruise, they had a celebration for me and my co-worker yesterday.  It was wonderful, and very emotional for me.

I loved Harmony, and my husband did as well.  When we went on Allure, it seemed to always be crowded and that did not happen this time.  The ship was full, but it seemed like everyone was doing different things, eating at different times and places...it was great.  We ate lunch every day (except two port days) in Park Cafe, as I loved getting a salad and soup.  My husband would get a roast beef sandwich and a salad, and we were happy.  I'd love to see more toppings available for the salads, but that really isn't a complaint.

I definitely felt like I could use a few more days.  It seemed I really needed this vacation.  It recharged me though - I came back feeling happy and grateful.

I was feeling iffy on cruise pictures.  I've mentioned before being unhappy with my weight gain, but I also went into this with the feeling that I am working on taking care of myself, and to being accepting of my body and who I am.  That really makes a difference.

I am also learning that sometimes shapers don't do what you want them to...

• Like 1

I will be doing a family cruise with my children, grandchildren and a couple of great grandchildren that I seldom get to see.  This is my first Quantum class ship and I was wondering if the Wonderland restaurant is something that preteens would enjoy or if it is geared more toward adults.  I have already purchased passes for them to the water park on Cocokay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sincojim said:

I will be doing a family cruise with my children, grandchildren and a couple of great grandchildren that I seldom get to see.  This is my first Quantum class ship and I was wondering if the Wonderland restaurant is something that preteens would enjoy or if it is geared more toward adults.  I have already purchased passes for them to the water park on Cocokay.

Alice in Wonderland theme. Depends on age of the littles. The 20 something’s that were with us loved it 

We did not go to Wonderland, although we walked by a few times and stopped to look in from the hall.  I think that it would have a very specific group of people it would appeal to, from both the atmosphere to the food.  It looked like it would be a very special and unique evening.

We had the three night dinner package, and we went to Chops, Jamie's and 150 Central Park.   They were all great, but I think my favorite was 150 Central Park.    Despite what I was hearing beforehand, the main dining room was very good also.  There were a couple of meals there that were excellent. 

It has been extremely busy since I got back from vacation, so I'm not organized yet for a review of sorts.  I think it would be fun to share some of our photos though.  With the photos being digital, it is so easy to do.  I know I mentioned not being happy with my weight, but I decided that I was going to not focus on that, and I enjoyed myself.  I enjoy the photos too, as they capture that.

ImageID_64581042_1.jpg

ImageID_64581098_13.jpg

ImageID_64581129_16.jpg

ImageID_64581219_40.jpg

ImageID_64581231_44.jpg

ImageID_64581242_8.jpg

ImageID_64581251_3.jpg

ImageID_64581273_11.jpg

ImageID_64581311_18.jpg

ImageID_64581357_26.jpg

ImageID_64581394_36.jpg

ImageID_64581400_31.jpg

ImageID_64581406_33.jpg

ImageID_64581207_39.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, laurspag said:

We did not go to Wonderland, although we walked by a few times and stopped to look in from the hall.  I think that it would have a very specific group of people it would appeal to, from both the atmosphere to the food.  It looked like it would be a very special and unique evening.

We had the three night dinner package, and we went to Chops, Jamie's and 150 Central Park.   They were all great, but I think my favorite was 150 Central Park.    Despite what I was hearing beforehand, the main dining room was very good also.  There were a couple of meals there that were excellent. 

It has been extremely busy since I got back from vacation, so I'm not organized yet for a review of sorts.  I think it would be fun to share some of our photos though.  With the photos being digital, it is so easy to do.  I know I mentioned not being happy with my weight, but I decided that I was going to not focus on that, and I enjoyed myself.  I enjoy the photos too, as they capture that.

ImageID_64581042_1.jpg

ImageID_64581098_13.jpg

ImageID_64581129_16.jpg

ImageID_64581219_40.jpg

ImageID_64581231_44.jpg

ImageID_64581242_8.jpg

ImageID_64581251_3.jpg

ImageID_64581273_11.jpg

ImageID_64581311_18.jpg

ImageID_64581357_26.jpg

ImageID_64581394_36.jpg

ImageID_64581400_31.jpg

ImageID_64581406_33.jpg

ImageID_64581207_39.jpg

Fabulous pictures!  I can’t even pick my favorite!!!!

Thanks, Melody!  We had such a great time.  I think it shows...we always talk about being comfortable in our skin, going with the flow, relaxing, etc.  It can be so much easier to say than do. I felt like I embraced it this time, and so did my husband.  Watching him, it seemed like one of his best cruises. 

Happiness is very contagious.  🙂 

With that floral print maxi, there was a lot of fabric, but I also loved the dress.  There are some pictures of it that I didn't like at all.  I wonder if I can take in the sides in a way that I still have the flowy feel and looseness, without having to have it "tent out" at times.  Does that make sense?  I actually altered the dress already, because it tied around the neck and the elastic was too loose across the back.  With the way the dress was made, I found I needed to take the tie and make into a strap that attached the back.  

There are some styles that you can play with a little, and this is one of them.  I might pin it and try it on and see what I think.  What I really wish I had was one of those sewing mannequins.  I have wanted one for a while.  There are some things I would adjust myself if I had one.  I do small alterations all the time, just not the bigger stuff. 

I took in the orange dress.  I have purchased items lately that allow me to make simple alterations and that has been wonderful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laurspag said:

Thanks, Melody!  We had such a great time.  I think it shows...we always talk about being comfortable in our skin, going with the flow, relaxing, etc.  It can be so much easier to say than do. I felt like I embraced it this time, and so did my husband.  Watching him, it seemed like one of his best cruises. 

Happiness is very contagious.  🙂 

With that floral print maxi, there was a lot of fabric, but I also loved the dress.  There are some pictures of it that I didn't like at all.  I wonder if I can take in the sides in a way that I still have the flowy feel and looseness, without having to have it "tent out" at times.  Does that make sense?  I actually altered the dress already, because it tied around the neck and the elastic was too loose across the back.  With the way the dress was made, I found I needed to take the tie and make into a strap that attached the back.  

There are some styles that you can play with a little, and this is one of them.  I might pin it and try it on and see what I think.  What I really wish I had was one of those sewing mannequins.  I have wanted one for a while.  There are some things I would adjust myself if I had one.  I do small alterations all the time, just not the bigger stuff. 

I took in the orange dress.  I have purchased items lately that allow me to make simple alterations and that has been wonderful.

Look at a goodwill or other thrift store for a mannequin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Never thought of that as I won’t use marketplace  

Neither have I but I'm looking for a dog stroller for our almost 14 y/o dog & don't want to pay an arm & a leg for a new one that he'll probably not use for long & a friend at the dog park suggested it.

I have bought and sold items on Marketplace.  I always meet in a public, busy parking lot during the day, and bring my husband with me.  I've done some small transactions alone as well, and our local police department encourages people to use their lot if they want added security.  

I'm going to look!

Our daughter sold some items on Marketplace. Her brother went with her, it would’ve been ugly if he hadn’t. 4 guys showed up (in the police parking lot) & got out & started to approach her car. Son got out (6’ & 280) he’s always armed & 3 guys went right back into the car. Son said, give her cash .   

Here is another photo from the second formal night.  I really liked that I chose this necklace.  I convinced my husband to go without the tie, because we were going to Jamie's Italian, and that is EXTREMELY informal.  With the change of the orts and everything, the days got a bit mixed up so we were just going with it.  They still treated us wonderfully, but we did feel overdressed for the restaurant.  I felt it was a good dress your best type outfit, for people who like to dress formally.   was really loving he necklace, and only realized later that I didn't have a better picture of it.  Then I realized that this photo shows it well.

ImageID_64581480_51.thumb.jpg.ff3faec17c0ef0b58a4d17807fdda21f.jpg

To give a mini review, because I've been pretty busy in the house, I'm going to just try and give a quick daily rundown.

We got to Miami just fine, and took an inexpensive taxi to our hotel.  As silly as it sounds, I need to look up the name of the hotel we stayed at, lol.  I remember it was followed by Miami Airport South.  The location wasn't bad.  We were across the street from a little plaza with a Cuban restaurant and an Italian one.  We wandered around the plaza when we got there, and that is when we were notified of the change in itinerary, which we were expecting. 

We decided for a very low key dinner.  We picked up a mini bottle of wine that is good for two glasses, which was for me.  My husband got another beverage or two to bring back to the hotel.  He can't drink with his medications he currently takes.  We decided to order pizza and hang out and watch the game.  It was fun!  The bar has a beautiful pool area that we didn't use, but it was really nice. 

The staff was great, the hotel was clean, it was close to the port.  We really wanted a bar.  It wasn't about alcohol, but about a lounge area where we could watch a sporting event and chat with the bartender. 

There was another hotel that we considered, that we should have gone with.  I think it was called Intercontinental?   A bit pricey, but I think it would have had all the amenities we wanted.  This isn't a knock to where we stayed, as it was a very nice place.  But I think we wanted a little something with a different vibe. 

We took the early shuttle, as the hotel offers three of them.  The second time slot would have gotten us there a little after check in, and the earliest a bit earlier.  We decided on the earlier one.  Getting to the port was easy and we got in line for our time slot.  The nice thing is, if the people who have an earlier check in are though the line, they let you through.  We were onboard very quickly.

Our daily lunch spot was Park Cafe.  It is located in Central Park, which we love, and was never crowded.  With the big dinners we have, it was perfect to get soup and salad for me.  Every day, they had different soups, so I loved the variety.  My husband would get a roast beef sandwich and salad. 

Our first night was when we ate at Chops.  The filet mignon was excellent, as always.  Service was great too.  We loved our waiter.  I had a little steak left on my plate, and he said "just one more bite?"  Being a mom and a grandma, I can appreciate that comment!  We have a wonderful photo form the restaurant, but it won't be too clear here because it is a scan of a photo, not digital, like the rest I have been posting.

Chops.thumb.jpeg.3bb94496e3b43dd2719e44a602a844e2.jpeg

We heard some mumbling and grumbling off and on about the port changes.  I did sympathize with a few, such as the couple from Galveston.  They could have waited a month and skipped the airfare.  The chose to sail from Miami for the ports of call.

It took a few days for the app to be situated, but we were able to book new excursions at the kiosk or guest services in the meantime.  We also started out with a few sea days. We found all the quiet areas we had been looking for, and started walking the track multiple times a day.

We took the guacamole class, which was served with your choice of margarita, a few different entrees, and dessert.  Of course, we got to eat the guac we made too!  I think the only downside was that we were sooooo full! 

In Puerto Costa Maya, We went to the aviary.  We spent more time than some people, in part because we got a bit of a storm that came through.  We got pretty wet,so when we were in a covered area part way through, we waited for the rain to let up a little bit.  After the aviary, we wandered around at all the little shops.

Brian was a bit tired, so we decided to eat lunch on board and he rested a little bit.  Other than this one day, he felt really good on this cruise.

When we went to Cozumel, we did one of those semi submerged aqualife excursions.  We love birds, and we love fish/aquariums so we had a good time in both ports.  After this excursion, we went to Margaritaville in honor of the late, great Jimmy Buffet.    I had a Fireball Colada, and now I really need to know how to make this.  It is one of the best new drinks I have tried in ages.  We followed up with nachos and then a Cheeseburger in Paradise.  They didn't rush us, so we enjoyed our table and then wandered the shops a little bit.

Sometimes, we are go, go, go.  Sometimes, we are not.  My husband was so relaxed and happy the whole time.  I felt as if I could book another cruise and just stay on board the whole cruise.  We were moving all the time, constantly exploring new areas and trying out new places to eat and everything.  

The aqua show was fabulous, and our deck seven, there is a side area near the rock climbing wall.  It was like having our own personal theater balcony of the aqua theater.

This is one of the first times in a very long time where I felt truly refreshed after vacation.  I'm feeling extremely grateful to have had a happy husband to enjoy it with, who is feeling much better than he has in about three years.

Melody, you mentioned wanting to see what the board and batten looked like, so I will post a few pictures from my phone in a bit.  We really like how it came out, and the mudroom looks great with the new paint color.  I picked up our paint choices for the hall and kitchen this weekend, and we are moving along on a bunch of different things.  It feels good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we’re back in Boston but it’s for a funeral. Les’s oldest brother passed away, 5 weeks to the day that his wife passed away.. Tomorrow is 51 years that my Mom passed & 36 years since Les’s Mom passed,& 27th is 36 years since my Dad passed. 

Laurie, I love all your pictures. I'm especially a fan of that orange botanical-like print dress. Sounds like you had a great cruise and you both look so relaxed and happy.

We got home very late last night from our Norway cruise. We are so turned around time-wise, it's going to take a few days to feel normal. We flew United on miles and had Premium Plus seats, which were the most uncomfortable seats for me. It took a lot of pillows and a blanket to get comfortable. Part of it was that the seat was very deep, so it didn't hit the back of my legs in the right place, and it was flat and a bit too hard. Also they have hard sides so there's not a lot of choice about how to sit. I was very disappointed in that part because I got very little sleep. Otherwise all the travel aspects went smoothly.

Norway was stunningly beautiful, and we did see the northern lights twice. The first time was from our balcony on the way north. The second time we had an amazing show for a couple of hours up on deck as we were leaving the Lofoten Islands. Everyone was so excited.

I did not take outfit pictures. After our four days in London, I came down with a cold, so I didn't look my best. Also it felt like we changed our clothes more often throughout the day. Partly because of the weather... it would be cold in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and cold again at night, so we often changed during the day. We wore different things ashore than on the ship, and sea days we worked out, dressed for lunch, took a nap, dressed for dinner etc. We had two ports with tendering where the ship got so cold from having the tender area open all day. Other days the sun would shine and we'd be in tshirts. Layering was very important, even inside. As I was packing, I thought I was bringing too much, but it turned out there were only 3 or 4 things I never used. I even used my bathing suit for the hot tub at the covered pool on our last sunny day.

Here is a taste. This was our driving tour day at the Lofoten Islands. It is so beautiful there.

IMG_4470sm.JPG.20b5fc12ff3a29b82677198e469e7ff1.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MJC said:

So sorry for your loss, Melody. What a difficult month for you, so many sad anniversaries.

It is no longer my favorite month. Les also list 2 brothers & a sister in October. 

10 hours ago, MJC said:

Laurie, I love all your pictures. I'm especially a fan of that orange botanical-like print dress. Sounds like you had a great cruise and you both look so relaxed and happy.

We got home very late last night from our Norway cruise. We are so turned around time-wise, it's going to take a few days to feel normal. We flew United on miles and had Premium Plus seats, which were the most uncomfortable seats for me. It took a lot of pillows and a blanket to get comfortable. Part of it was that the seat was very deep, so it didn't hit the back of my legs in the right place, and it was flat and a bit too hard. Also they have hard sides so there's not a lot of choice about how to sit. I was very disappointed in that part because I got very little sleep. Otherwise all the travel aspects went smoothly.

Norway was stunningly beautiful, and we did see the northern lights twice. The first time was from our balcony on the way north. The second time we had an amazing show for a couple of hours up on deck as we were leaving the Lofoten Islands. Everyone was so excited.

I did not take outfit pictures. After our four days in London, I came down with a cold, so I didn't look my best. Also it felt like we changed our clothes more often throughout the day. Partly because of the weather... it would be cold in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and cold again at night, so we often changed during the day. We wore different things ashore than on the ship, and sea days we worked out, dressed for lunch, took a nap, dressed for dinner etc. We had two ports with tendering where the ship got so cold from having the tender area open all day. Other days the sun would shine and we'd be in tshirts. Layering was very important, even inside. As I was packing, I thought I was bringing too much, but it turned out there were only 3 or 4 things I never used. I even used my bathing suit for the hot tub at the covered pool on our last sunny day.

Here is a taste. This was our driving tour day at the Lofoten Islands. It is so beautiful there.

IMG_4470sm.JPG.20b5fc12ff3a29b82677198e469e7ff1.JPG

How beautiful!

Margaret, that is a beautiful photo.  Norway sounds like it was really enjoyable!  As I have mentioned before, seeing the northern lights is a bucket list of mine.  

Do you sometimes feel like there is so much to see, and so little time?  I do, for sure.  I think one of the reasons we often talk about retirement so much is the hope that we are well enough to just enjoy things more, and live in the moment.  It may mean traveling a bit more, or just taking more time to read a book or spend time with my grandson.

Speaking of which...we took my grandson to see the Paw Patrol movie on Sunday.  He is four, and it was his first movie theater experience.  He did great, and we enjoyed spending time with him so much.  This may sound silly, but there were large sections of the movie that I didn't really watch, because I was just watching Krysyn.  Watching him smile, tug at Papa's hand, eat popcorn.

Melody, I am so sorry.  This must be so difficult for you and Les.  

• Like 1