ventura. Not too sure about the upgrade fairy

sapphire4

we have a superior delux cabin booked on Ventura (midships) which we were really looking forward to going on with a really good onboard credit. we have been contacted by the upgrade fairy offering us a suite upgrade on the lido or deck D. Looking on the website there are two suites left L106 and L107 at the front. I am wondering if they will be overlooked by the bridge or noisey? Any comments much appreciated. We have never has a suite before and are also wondering if we would lose our onboard credit.

I have stayed in L102 and just forward of this on the deck plan you will see a white area which is a well and woody shaded known as the forward observation deck. Hardly anyone uses this area despite its excellent size and there are time and age restrictions on its use. I assumed this was because one is walking about on the bridge roof. The forward looking cabins look out on this deck. When I wandered around on it you can see the balconies to which you refer, these are extended and large. You cannot really see into the balconies from there under normal walking about conditions. I thought positively about booking one of them and experienced no noise in L102, cosequently if I were in your shoes would go for it. They are not the cheapest level of suite. You obviously would get the suite benefits but I have no idea about OBC and other things which may disappear and think phoning in to clarify that type of issue.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Or if they have any on D deck they will be aft - we stayed in a D deck suite on Azura and it was really nice - there was a stanchion on the balcony but it didn't affect anything as the balcony was huge and goes right to the side too. So if you have a choice take this one 😆

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been on the Ventura and was wondering what the area was at the front of the Forward suite balcony on the lido deck. I will phone in and ask about the obc situation. They are asking for £250pp for the upgrade.

Oh I hadn't noticed you had to pay. Yes this happened to us we got an offer for a paid upgrade, I think this is how they fill the suites up as people will usually pay the extra knowing they are still getting a cheap suite. Interestingly we got a mid-ship suite as the cheaper aft ones were excluded as they can easily sell those apparently. I suppose you have to decide whether it's really worth that much to you - I can see why that is a bit of a dilemma.

Before booking I would definitely double check it is one of those two suites. We have had a suite before which was one of the aft ones - which was great. I personally wouldn't choose a mid ship suite on Ventura as apparently they are directly under the lido deck and can be very noisy . When we were on holiday a gentleman ( If I can call him that!!!) Stormed up onto the lido deck and pulled the plug out of the sound system whilst the entertainment crew were in the middle of a sailaway!!! He was ranting that his young daughter couldn't sleep and how he was fed up of the constant noise. He was obviously at the end of his tether. I also believe the balconies are not very big and shaded too.

So I would definitely check the location is where you think it is - just to be on the safe side.

Are suites worth the extra money? Depends on how much you use the cabin. Best perk for us was breakfast in "the White Room" - lovely civilised start to the morning. You also get priority tender passes - nice - but to be honest it just felt like queue jumping and I felt quite uncomfortable with it. Of course you get your butler and canapes , priority disembarkation and embarkation too.

Anyway hope this helps

Sue

Thanks. The cruise is 12 days to the med so you can probably see my dilemma. We already get a choccies, champagne, bathrobes etc. with the superior deluxe. We like to lie in bed and get up when we want that's part of our holiday and we do use the balcony.

Hi If you google the ship and suite number then there a few reviews of this cabin.

Most say the balcony is very windy also there are issues with privacy.

Here is a link with some photo's of the suite,

http://public.fotki.com/Magwa/cruising/ventura--sept-2008/venturas-interiors/cabinl106fotki/

Hope this helps with your decision

Sue

Hi Sue,

Many thanks for the information. That has definitely given us food for thought. Hmmm! Perhaps not worth the extra £500 plus extra gratuities. Could almost have another cruise. We have booked a suite on the Britannia later on this year when the prices dropped so maybe we should stick with what we've got with the superior deluxe on D deck. Yes overlooked I know but my other half likes the sun if its out and if its not I could use my on-board credit to book the Retreat or equivalent.

we have a superior delux cabin booked on Ventura (midships) which we were really looking forward to going on with a really good onboard credit. we have been contacted by the upgrade fairy offering us a suite upgrade on the lido or deck D. Looking on the website there are two suites left L106 and L107 at the front. I am wondering if they will be overlooked by the bridge or noisey? Any comments much appreciated. We have never has a suite before and are also wondering if we would lose our onboard credit.

Hello,

I've just found this on the internet again (knew I'd seen it somewhere before!) hopefully, it will give you some idea of what the forward facing suites are like.

http://public.fotki.com/Magwa/cruising/ventura--sept-2008/venturas-interiors/cabinl106fotki/

I've had a midship suite on Azura (sister ship) & would never book one again due to the noise from the deck above & now always book aft suites.

Joan

Hi sapphire4

Having read all this, I think I would also stay put and enjoy spending my OBC esp as you are having a suite later in the year on Britannia. I would rather spend the extra £500 elsewhere personally, but that's just IMHO of course.

Edited by Scriv

I did an upgrade from a C deck balcony to a suite for £300 for both of us. We had a midship lido deck one and didn't get any noise. But ours was a May Fjords trip so not much sun bathing. The suite was nice really big. The best perk was breakfast at the select restuarant. This next cruise we have booked a sup balcony and wouldn't pay to switch to a suite. I think the balcony on D deck will be nicer than the suite balcony on lido.

I was in a Superior deluxe cabin on Ventura last year. It's a really nice cabin, very comfortable and large.

Suite upgrades would always tempt me but unless the suite privileges are something you are keen on, I would save the £500.

Enjoy your cruise. Ventura is my favourite P&O ship. If the weather is good, spending your OBC on the retreat is highly recommended. I would also recommend the Glass House, food was great as well as the choice of wine.

I have stayed in L102 and just forward of this on the deck plan you will see a white area which is a well and woody shaded known as the forward observation deck. Hardly anyone uses this area despite its excellent size and there are time and age restrictions on its use. I assumed this was because one is walking about on the bridge roof. The forward looking cabins look out on this deck. When I wandered around on it you can see the balconies to which you refer, these are extended and large. You cannot really see into the balconies from there under normal walking about conditions. I thought positively about booking one of them and experienced no noise in L102, cosequently if I were in your shoes would go for it. They are not the cheapest level of suite. You obviously would get the suite benefits but I have no idea about OBC and other things which may disappear and think phoning in to clarify that type of issue.

Regards John

I would completely disagree with this assessment of those two balconies.

The forward observation deck was very heavily used on my cruise on Ventura, and the raised observation deck meant that you looked straight down into the balconies, even if you didn't want to.

As a result, I saw neither of the balconies used for the entire fortnight.

I have stayed in suite l106 on Ventura, and tbh, wouldn't bother again, as we prefer c deck balconies. Yes the accomadation is larger, but for me the balcony is very important.

When we first went in, I was horrified as anyone on the observation deck can look straight in, although we were told only staff really go up there, and we didn't actually see too many, but on our last cruise in the Caribbean, ( we were then on c deck,) I noticed quite a few passengers up there. Also not keen on the balcony, it has a covered in steel front, is very shaded, and not very wide.

It's not overlooked by the bridge, in fact you look down onto them on the side.

For me a c deck balcony every time, although I would be happy with d deck too.

Personally I don't think it's worth the extra....but some of the suites I would pay extra for.....especially the rear balconies on Oceana