Favorite ncl ship to alaska

kaylasnana

Its not about the ship its about itinerary...pearl and jewel are almost the same they are sister ships..sun is smaller and older..but for me the most important thing about the alaska cruise is glacier bay its phenomenal and you need to either take pearl or sun for this...and sun leaves from vancouver which is super nice and sails the inside passage for me thats the best itinerary

I was on the Jewel and the ship goes into glacier bay. We chose the jewel because of the times we were in ports.

This year the Jewel is scheduled for the Sawyer Glacier. From what I was told by the Suites Concierge during a phone call yesterday the Jewel will not actually go into Sawyer Glacier Bay but cruise by as close as possible.

The Jewel does Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier (not Glacier Bay) and has done so for years.

The Pearl does Glacier Bay (and has done so for years).

See the map below.

during a phone call yesterday the Jewel will not actually go into Sawyer Glacier Bay but cruise by as close as possible.

Close as possible generally depends on the amount of ice in the water as the ship (Jewel) approaches Sawyer Glacier. Under good conditions the ship can get very close, as seen from this shot, taken from the Jewel at Sawyer Glacier.

When cruising Glacier Bay, the ship (Pearl) transits into the Bay and spends the day viewing several glaciers.

202a1-1024x682.jpg

tracy-arm-glacier-bay-map.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

Want to plan a cruise to Alaska for the summer of 2017. What was your favorite ship and why?

We haven't cruised on the Pearl or to Alaska before, but based on the itinerary, we are booked June 18, 2017 for the Glacier Bay cruise RT out of Seattle. And it is 477 days away!!;)

For the most part the Jewel and Pearl are similar ships and do similar ports - including both in Skagway on the same day. They split the time in Juneau - the Jewel does the AM and the Pearl the PM. Ketchikan is done first on the Jewel and last on the Pearl.

It is possible that the Jewel could visit Glacier Bay on either the first or last cruise of the season. Last season both ships did 10 day trips on the ends of the season and visited Sitka - I forget which ship did which end. I believe that they are going to do the same thing this year. - who knows what 2017 will bring.

The Sun does one ways between Vancouver BC and Seward AK. It is great if you can add on a few days to explore the rest of Alaska :D Northbound visits both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier - back to back !

Alaska there is so much to see and see and see and do make this a memorable trip but realize you can't do it all in one or two trips.

NCL Holland-America Princess and Carnival are the prime cruise ships sailing the Inside Passage.

There are one-way trips Northbound Vancouver to Seward and the reverse.

There are Closed Loop trips sailing out of Seattle and returning.

Cities - Ketcihkan Juneau Skagway (Haines) Sitka Icy Straight Point (Hoonan) Seward (Anchorage) Vancouver Victoria and sometimes Nanaimo and other ships using Whittier (Port of Anchorage)

Glaciers - Glacier Bay Hubbard and Sawyer (Tracy Arm) Mendenhall (Juneau)

Some of the glacier visits have a National Park Ranger on board doing narration of interest.

Going Northbound you can arrange for 3-4-5 day excursions to the Alaska interior (Mount Denali the prime high light)

On Southbound trips you do the land package first then cruise the inside passage to Vancouver

Cities Seward Anchorage Wasilla Talkeetna McKinley Village and Fairbanks

The shore excursions are interesting and varied - one not to miss is the White Pass & Yukon Railroad to the Canadian border (Skagway)

There are lots of side tours - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (Portage) - Iditarod Dog Sled exhibits (Wasilla) - Tundra Bus tours to the backside of Mt. Denali (McKinley Village) - Paddle wheel steaming (Fairbanks)

Travel can be by Alaska Railroad (highly recommended with narration and tour guide) - Motor coach and car rental.

Airline flights to the continental USA and Canada are available to and from Fairbanks Anchorage Seattle Vancouver.

My preferred ship and cruise line of course is NCL - the ship the "SUN" !

My preferred direction of travel is southbound.

ALASKA so much to see and do - it could have a Forum all it's own !

I've been blessed to have been to Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers) and Glacier Bay. My favorite cruise is from Vancouver doing the entire Inside Passage visiting both Hubbard Glacier (my favorite) and Glacier Bay. That being said Tracy Arm is also beautiful, make sure the excursion is available when you travel-smaller boat (departed from Juneau shortly before the Jewel sailed) and you get much closer to the glacier than the ship. You meet the ship and board before it sails out of Tracy Arm. It was a pricey excursion but whole family agreed it was SO worth it, best excursion of the trip. A balcony cabin for Alaska cruise is also worth the cost if at all possible. Spent a lot of time watching for whales, sea otters etc. while sailing the Inside Passage. Just thinking about it and I am ready to go again. No matter which cruise you choose, Alaska is SPECTACULAR!