American table dining.

Txfirefighter92

Hey guys,

I am a first time cruiser and I will be cruising on the Carnival Breeze on August 28- September 4th. This is my first cruise to plan on my own since the last one I did was when I was 11 and my parents did all the planning lol. I have been reading about the American Table dining and I am wanting to know what everyone's opinion is about it. I personally liked the personalized service that I got in the MDR when I was 11. Is there a noticeable difference in service?

Thanks,

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Keith. How exciting to be planning your first cruise as a grown-up.:)

I have no experience with AT, my first time with it will be this September. I'm not looking forward to most the aspects of it.:( But I am planning on going into it with an open mind and giving it a fair try.

You've got the right idea coming here for various opinions and information on it. There will be no shortage of varying viewpoints offered. But beware, this is one of those topics that gets people fired up.;)

Here's one recent thread where it has been discussed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317240

Enjoy. And happy cruise-planning!:)

Thank you!

You're welcome. I wasn't 100% sure that what I reported was the correct, so I just looked it up on Carnival's website. Whew, I was right:o:

American Table and American Feast have been designed to create a contemporary and memorable dining experience for our guests.

Designed with an emphasis on exceptional American cuisine, American Table will feature familiar regional, fresh and contemporary dishes, with a wide array of appetizer, entree and dessert selections which will change each evening. Additionally, American Table will feature modern table décor and place settings with new menu designs to complement the experience.

On Cruise Elegant evenings, guests will be treated to our American Feast, a dining experience designed to create the feeling of an elaborate celebration. Our American Feast menu will feature tantalizing appetizers, a delicious selection of succulently prepared meats, seafood, and vegetarian choices, topped off with one of our spectacular desserts.

This new complimentary dinner concept is currently being tested on the following ships: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic, Carnival Pride and Carnival Triumph. Please note: This experience may vary slightly among these ships.

We are just off an 8 day cruise on the Pride and were very impressed with the American Table/Feast menus. We thought the food was delicious and the service ranged from good to great (we had different waiters because we did Anytime dining and never requested the same waiter). There was a minestrone soup that came out cold and was salty and tasteless and a crab soup a couple of nights later that tasted pretty similar. Other than that everything was great.

So good in fact that we cancelled our plans to go to the steak house since we were enjoying the MDR food so much!

Enjoy your cruise

We are just off an 8 day cruise on the Pride and were very impressed with the American Table/Feast menus. We thought the food was delicious and the service ranged from good to great (we had different waiters because we did Anytime dining and never requested the same waiter). There was a minestrone soup that came out cold and was salty and tasteless and a crab soup a couple of nights later that tasted pretty similar. Other than that everything was great.

So good in fact that we cancelled our plans to go to the steak house since we were enjoying the MDR food so much!

Enjoy your cruise

That's good to hear (I'll be experiencing AT for the first time on Pride). Thanks for the report!:) Do you happen to remember what the Port of Call dishes were?

That's good to hear (I'll be experiencing AT for the first time on Pride). Thanks for the reporft!:) Do you happen to remember what the Port of Call dishes were?

Not really. I usually got other stuff. Some of my favorites were the veal parm, lasagna, filet and short rib.

The Port of Call that I got was some chicken in a pastry for an appetizer. The crab soup that I didn't like was an app one night. There was a Caribbean pepper pot for a main but I didn't try it. The last night I had the Port of Call jerked pork loin and it was amazing.

Not really. I usually got other stuff. Some of my favorites were the veal parm, lasagna, filet and short rib.

The Port of Call that I got was some chicken in a pastry for an appetizer. The crab soup that I didn't like was an app one night. There was a Caribbean pepper pot for a main but I didn't try it. The last night I had the Port of Call jerked pork loin and it was amazing.

Great.:) Thanks!

I was excited to try American Table/Feast prior to our first cruise with it on the Breeze. I don't really care that there are no table cloths on the tables, as that is no longer a sign of elegance even in land-based restaurants. I wasn't too happy with the rolls and water just left on the table--probably because I could, for instance, get my water refilled previously without any problems. If people had problems with this before, they probably like the water right there.

If the serving style/table settings along with a new way for the menus to look were the extent of the change, I would have been happy. But the choices for each meal didn't even sound as appetizing as they used to, and I was often left wondering what to order and found myself ordering off of the every day menu, which is something that I never used to do.

If you haven't cruised for many years, I think you will like the American Table/Feast, and maybe even prefer it to what you remember.

To us it is " much to do about nothing". Just two different names for dinner. Same as the 2.0 upgrades.

I agree with this. In terms of the food, I couldn't tell you the difference in menus for the AT or pre-AT. With AT, you don't get the table cloth unless it is elegant night. Something I couldn't care less about.

In terms of the wait staff service, I'm not sure the AT has changed that. There have been times the service is a little slow, but nothing that ever bothered me.

Overall, I think the AT has been a non-event.

I've experienced the American Table/American Feast menu on two cruises (both on Breeze) and to me, it's much ado about nothing. Sure, they made some changes. They removed some dishes and added others, but for the most part, it's still the same Carnival food. Plus, the "Ports of Call" section is kinda fun and different. I have no complaints!

Thanks!

You're very welcome. Happy researching!:)

There are also some pictures of the AT place settings posted by others in the thread I posted a link to earlier, in case you haven't checked it out already.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Keith.

I haven't cruised since the new menus and am very grateful for the information provided in your thread.

I have cruised on the Breeze and it is my favorite ship so far.

Just got off the breeze and experienced the 'american table...

Found it to be a great big meh.

It was a basic dinner setting. we had any time dining and went just for the 1st day. We got the fried calimari which was barely lukewarm, wife got Quesadia for her starter and veg lasagne and I got the braised beef brisket It was Delicious, wifes Lasagna was OK to me she liked it.

Here are some pics of the meal and menu from the breeze 6 day western cruise

The non tablecloth I thought was a non factor. they have a lil coaster for the water and the table was laminated so not like plain wood.

20160221_203155_zpsvovilpln.jpg

20160221_210229_zpskykrqdps.jpg

20160221_205002_zpsghdfdgxa.jpg

20160221_210224_zpsei3lmcah.jpg

20160221_163805_zpsbnkuozwh.jpg

Has there been any word leaked out about when these new menus will be rolled out on other ships?

I'm on the Dream in October and would love to see these new menus then. Anyone have any guess as to what the chances are of this happening by then?