Surgery and cruising

bubba83

I had my gallbladder taken out last September, and then 5 weeks later I was on the Allure TA and felt fine! Hope you get it sorted out soon, I know the pain is no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, while I have all you gallbladder experts here, my I please ask what your symptoms were that lead to your diagnosis? I'm having some issues and wonder if it's a gallbladder thing. :) Thanks!

The first time I had the pain I thought it was really bad indigestion, and then I would get a dull aching pain down my right arm and into my back, also lots of pain to the right of my ribs.

The first time I had the pain I thought it was really bad indigestion, and then I would get a dull aching pain down my right arm and into my back, also lots of pain to the right of my ribs.

Was your pain in your mid back, and did you have bloating?

No, it was more like down my right shoulder blade and yes I got bloating around the upper part of my stomach.

Well my results are back, I have multiple gallstones and sludge (whatever that means)....I am being referred to a general surgeon as my Dr is recommending my gallbladder be removed. Hopefully I have my consult with them sometime next week and then the surgery within that week after so that gives me one full month to recover before the cruise....

Our poor 5 year old daughter has been battling strep for 3 weeks now and is now on a 3rd antibiotic, she is being referred to an ENT as her tonsils may need to come out but they cant see her until later this month....hopefully we get the strep cleared up and then surgery at some point earlier enough before the cruise where she can recover or maybe it be something we can have done after the cruise....

I would just hate for her to come down with Strep again while on the cruise...would the infirmary even have antibiotics for her?

i am pos. for gall stones, just had a CT scan, no pain but blood work was abnormal leading doc to send me for scan. I am waiting until I ret. from cruise. (April 9) The other side effect is diarrhea after the surg. until the body adjusts to not having the storage (gall bladder) to hold bile. Yes, no lift. for 6 wks.

There will be a doc to see your g. child on cruise. They have a small pharmacy on the ship. Sounds like she has a tough germ to get rid of. Has her throat been cultured?

Also check your insurance policy.

I am hoping my stones stay right where they are until I ret.

I have to have cardiac clearance bef. surg. so I am doing that next wk. then I will sched. the surg. before I leave for the cruise, so it will be in place. Surgeon only has 2 OR days so planning is necessary.

i am pos. for gall stones, just had a CT scan, no pain but blood work was abnormal leading doc to send me for scan. I am waiting until I ret. from cruise. (April 9) The other side effect is diarrhea after the surg. until the body adjusts to not having the storage (gall bladder) to hold bile. Yes, no lift. for 6 wks.

There will be a doc to see your g. child on cruise. They have a small pharmacy on the ship. Sounds like she has a tough germ to get rid of. Has her throat been cultured?

I have to have cardiac clearance bef. surg. so I am doing that next wk. then I will sched. the surg. before I leave for the cruise, so it will be in place. Surgeon only has 2 OR days so planning is necessary.

Yes she has had a culture done every time....dr thinks she is a strep carrier, her tonsils are very large.....

I would hate to have another gallbladder attack on the cruise, my last one the pain lasted 25 hrs until it finally went away...

Everyone is different. My DH had a feeling just under his ribs like a stone was being rubbed across it. Turns out he had sludge, but no stones. Dr's told him no adult has 100% gall bladder function and the sludge makes the function lower, but doesn't cause blockages. He has never once had any issues of any kind, no diarrhea or problems with any foods, either before or after his surgery.

My friend who had an actual gall bladder attack, had the pain that radiated. A lot of people go to the emergency room thinking they're having a heart attack only to find out it's a gall bladder attack due to stone blockage of the bile duct which can require emergency surgery, depending on the blockage. She was back at work in one week and has also had almost no issues since.

Edited by BND

Ok, while I have all you gallbladder experts here, my I please ask what your symptoms were that lead to your diagnosis? I'm having some issues and wonder if it's a gallbladder thing. :) Thanks!

I had known stones a year before I had it removed. I didn't have insurance at the time so I had to wait. I had severe stomach pain during my attacks that was being caused by a stone getting stuck. The last one I had right before I had it removed lasted for over ten hours before I couldn't take it anymore and went to the er. They would give some type of shot that would eliminate the pain. I would also be very sick to my stomach to the point I would just sit on the bathroom floor. But once the stone moved and was no longer blocking anything the pain would stop immediately.

My pain was severe when it would happen. I tried to manage it by not eating fatty foods but I would still have attacks.

I found out gallbladder attack pain can be felt in several areas. My first two were in the center of my back and were a crushing pain. Like a piano or a safe was lying on me. The last, that put me in the ER and the operating room was in the center of my chest and had me beyond being able to talk or think.

Tests for stones are so much better now then they were then.

Gallbladder problems are nothing to ignore, and they don't go away. Fortunately, most people have laparoscopic surgery and don't have to have their abdomen sewn to their knees.

I would never advise going on a trip with a history of gallbladder attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few years ago I had emergent gall bladder surgery 4 weeks before a Hawaii cruise. I did have post-op complications that put me back in the hospital for 8 days after, including a second surgery. I went home with a drain. But, after having that all done I still made it to my Hawaii cruise with my doctor's ok. The downfall was that because I had an open (covered) wound I could not go into the water at all. But, it was still one of the best vacations we have ever had!

I may be having issues with my gallbladder but I am not able to get an ultrasound until this Friday.... In the event I need to have it removed and if my dr clears me for the cruise will I be okay to cruise mid April.... Not sure if there is a policy by Royal Caribbean or anything. Like that....

I would hate to miss this cruise, my family has been looking forward to this for the past 18 months!

Had mine removed on May 1st, flew down to FL on May 15 and cruising on May 16th. All cleared thru my doctor. Of course, I had to watch my intake and not do anything crazy but I was good to go. Had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I had my gallbladder removed about 20 years ago. I had complications about 5 years ago with a blocked bile duct. Ended up in ER and having emergency surgery. The pain was very great and in the same area as the gallbladder which for me was right in the middle under the breastbone. They treated me for heart issues for 5 days before they discovered the problem. End of story, I had inflamed my pancreas and had to have the bile duct valve opened permanently. I was in danger of pancreatitis and liver issues. Not fun and life-threatening. I was in a large first rate medic center and still had issues getting a correct diagnosis

Gallbladder issues can be fatal and should never be taken lightly. I take very good care of my pancreas. I eat little fat and very little highly seasoned food. No spicy Italian or Mexican for me. But I make up for all that by eating really good stuff, just not that.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app