Spain ports; which cruise better?

Hi,

We've never been to Spain and are wondering about ports.

Focusing on the ports only:

which itinerary do you think is better? and why! thanks :)

We've narrowed it down to possibly these 4, for various reasons

Crystal

barcelona/ibiza/cartagena/gibraltar/casablanca/portimao-portugal/lisbon

Regent 7 seas

barcelona/valencia/alicante/malaga granada/gibraltar/seville/lisbon

Oceania

barcelona/palma de mallorca/cartagena/gibraltar/casablanca/seville/lisbon

Oceania

barcelona/valencia/ibiza/alicante/malaga granada/gibraltar/seville/lisbon

and how would you rate these ports/cities:

I'm looking for another opinion! Although I did get one offline from someone who's trusted and has been on a LOT of cruises; but I'm wondering what others think.

Which would you give up? which are 'must sees'?

Barcelona

Madrid

Granada

Seville

Valencia

Alicante

Palma de mallorca

Ibiza

Almeria

Cartagena

thanks so much in advance! :)

and is there another 'thread' I should post this on?

Have done several cruises, including two that involved Spain. Also, have done land tours of Spain and Portugal.

Barcelona Great city, don't miss Sagrada Familia and Monserrat

Madrid Love Madrid, it is far from the Sea or Ocean, but you can do a pre or post cruise there. The Prado art museum is fantastic. Lots to see there as well as day trips to Toledo and Segovia.

Granada Another must see along with Barcelona and Madrid. The Alhambra is amazing, you can do it on a tour from Malaga.

Seville Probably my favorite city in Spain, a must see.

Valencia haven't been there

Alicante haven't been there

Palma de mallorca haven't been there

Ibiza haven't been there

Algeria haven't been there

Cartagena haven't been there

I would add that if you can visit Lisbon, Portugal, that would be another great port.

Having lived and worked in Spain for many years I would choose the Regent 7 Seas itinerary.

As another person who lives in Spain I would second this suggestion BUT I would stay in Malaga rather than travelling to Granada.

Campolady

If I had never been there before I think I would visit Granada, although having said that, I would probably give Granada a miss if it was July/August. It would be too hot and busy for me, so would stay in Malaga.

Am afraid that Granada underwhelms me LondonTowner although of course I realise that the Alhambra is a 'must see' for some people.

Campolady

I love Granada and have been there lots of times. Last spent 3 nights there in November 2014 and then took the bus to Seville to stay with our Spanish friends.

Years ago I stayed in the Parador, but about 3 years ago had lunch in the Parador. Good food, particularly the regional dishes and excellent service.

My ranking will be

1) Valencia

2) Seville

3) Madrid

4) Barcelona

5) Granada

6) Palma de mallorca

7) Alicante

Never been to Ibiza, Almeria, Cartagena. Reason for #1 to Valencia is combination of old and new architecture, lots of green spaces and places to walk and bike, beach. Seville is historical, Madrid got choice for everyone, again combo of old and new.

Edited by hkto

Another vote for any itinerary that includes Seville. But, as has been mentioned, unless it is unavoidable, choose any time other than July and August, when the crowds and heat will be at their worst.

Having been to Seville at least once a year for the past 40 years, I really don't think a port day does it justice. If on a smaller ship it may actually dock in Seville, but most cruise ships dock in Cadiz. In that case I would stop in Cadiz or go to Jerez.

I certainly never go to Seville in July or August either when it has been know for temperatures to reach up to 50c.

Having been to Seville at least once a year for the past 40 years, I really don't think a port day does it justice. If on a smaller ship it may actually dock in Seville, but most cruise ships dock in Cadiz. In that case I would stop in Cadiz or go to Jerez.

I certainly never go to Seville in July or August either when it has been know for temperatures to reach up to 50c.

When I visited Seville in 1984 it was in late July. Yes, it was hot, but at the time, I was living in Saudi Arabia, so the heat didn't seem so bad. Also, I grew up in the American South and heat was the normal.

Agree, that Seville needs at least three days.

4774Papa

Also, as you will know, when you live in a hot climate you have a siesta in the afternoon, but a bit difficult to do when you are sightseeing and only have one day. At least Seville isn't humid like Barcelona, or even London in the summer.

My ideal temperature is about 23c not hot, but certainly not cold.

4774Papa

Also, as you will know, when you live in a hot climate you have a siesta in the afternoon, but a bit difficult to do when you are sightseeing and only have one day. At least Seville isn't humid like Barcelona, or even London in the summer.

My ideal temperature is about 23c not hot, but certainly not cold.

Agree, 23c is just right. We did our first cruise in 2010 after I retired and it was in the Med in July. We managed the heat with lost of fluids, but since then, when visiting hot places, we try to go in other than the heat of the summer.

Last March/April, we did a cruise from Singapore to Dubai, which included four ports in India and Muscat, Oman. Believe me, India is HOT in late March. It was in the mid-90 degrees F every day we were there.

In July and August Seville is known locally as the 'Frying Pan of Europe'. It is VERY, VERY hot and, IMO, should be missed in these 2 months. Cadiz, being on the coast, is cooler.

Same goes for Malaga in July and August. Granada, where many cruise excursions visit, will be boiling. Malaga city, that has so much to offer, will be considerably cooler due to the sea breezes.

these answers area all great! thanks.... so much wonderful help!

Now,

what to do/see in:

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Cartagena

Malaga

Gibraltar, uk

Casablanca

Seville

Lisbon

I did some research on the excursions, but any 'must sees' or dos here?

thanks!:confused:

these answers area all great! thanks.... so much wonderful help!

Now,

what to do/see in:

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Cartagena

Malaga

Gibraltar, uk

Casablanca

Seville

Lisbon

I did some research on the excursions, but any 'must sees' or dos here?

thanks!:confused:

For Malaga see this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599