Is it possible to tighten the rules on Live From/Trip reports?

Emperor Norton

Not sure where this belongs but since the thread that partially spawned it is here I thought this would be a good place.

Hi Lottie,

Thank You. I'm deeply disappointed to see the direction this thread has taken. Fwiw, much of this is hijacking/off topic, and it's rude to derail anyone's thread, especially a "Live From" thread. It makes me feel as if my efforts are pointless. I sincerely wish that our dear friends would start another thread, if all they care to do is gripe and worry.

...!

Would it be possible to have a rules change where people who pop into live from or trip report threads only to argue with the OP in whichever direction get their post(s) removed and told to start their own threads? Every time I do a live from or trip report there's always someone that has a 180 degree different point of view and they feel that my thread is the only place to air that difference (heaven forbid they take the time and effort to do their own live from/trip report).

I realize that my writing style or point of view isn't for everyone, and there are a lot of people that probably ignore my text and look at the pictures, but at the end of the day I feel that my live from/trip report is my story and I shouldn't have to deal with "interruptions" or challenges to the narrative.

An interesting idea, but I think it's fair for people to express a different point of view or share their experiences on a single review - I'd rather that than have a new thread for every little thing.

IMO, it's when the thread veers completely off topic (I've had that happen in my reviews) that things bog down. But I'm more in favor of free speech than dictating what can and cannot be addressed - I don't own any threads that I start, and I only mind the personal attacks, not contrary opinions. I can scroll with the best of them.:)

Boy you guys are making me nervous! I was planning to do a complete photo review of our recent Panama Canal Costa Rica on Journey starting today :eek:

I too was surprised and a bit alarmed at the direction Host Andy's review took. I think that happened partly because Andy is moderator and maybe some people took liberties to express their frustration with changes to the ship maybe feeling he is an "official mouthpiece". Of course, he and (all the mods) all clear that they are NOT, they are simply people who volunteer to to moderate boards for lines they follow/cruise. So when Andy posts his review, he's just Andy, "guy on a cruise"! I felt bad about the way the vitriol towards changes on the ship were directed onto his review. Hopefully, people will direct specific questions or concerns for Azamara on a new thread because it seems like they do an excellent job of responding to them.

However, all of us who review expect and think it's ok for folks to say " I had a different experience" in a respectful way. (I even enjoy when people "me too" respond...I like the interaction, or else I'd just stick the photos in an album and look at them over a cup of coffee, lol!) All of us who spend time contributing to social media have probably had our share of "trolling" (non respectful, or baiting comments) and well, we all know the best way to get a troll to go away is to not take the bait ;)

So I'm going to give it "go" with my review, wish me luck!!:D

Boy you guys are making me nervous! I was planning to do a complete photo review of our recent Panama Canal Costa Rica on Journey starting today :eek:

I too was surprised and a bit alarmed at the direction Host Andy's review took. I think that happened partly because Andy is moderator and maybe some people took liberties to express their frustration with changes to the ship maybe feeling he is an "official mouthpiece". Of course, he and (all the mods) all clear that they are NOT, they are simply people who volunteer to to moderate boards for lines they follow/cruise. So when Andy posts his review, he's just Andy, "guy on a cruise"! I felt bad about the way the vitriol towards changes on the ship were directed onto his review. Hopefully, people will direct specific questions or concerns for Azamara on a new thread because it seems like they do an excellent job of responding to them.

However, all of us who review expect and think it's ok for folks to say " I had a different experience" in a respectful way. (I even enjoy when people "me too" respond...I like the interaction, or else I'd just stick the photos in an album and look at them over a cup of coffee, lol!) All of us who spend time contributing to social media have probably had our share of "trolling" (non respectful, or baiting comments) and well, we all know the best way to get a troll to go away is to not take the bait ;)

So I'm going to give it "go" with my review, wish me luck!!:D

Goid luck.

Well you asked me to wish you good luck.

Expressing opinions is good. They can be useful. Unfortunately Andy's thread of which you speak attracted a very small minority of posters with a very negative attitude who weren't even on the ship and/or hadn't been on Azamara. They kept coming back rehashing the same negative topics as if to stick two fingers up to anyone who disagreed (the poster of the "live from" thread included). Fortunately it doesn't happen too often, but there is an alert button in the top right corner of each post if it becomes an issue. To be fair to Andy he could have deleted a lot if those posts, but chose not to flex his moderator muscles on his own thread.

Familygoboston, don't be put off. Looking forward to your photos!:cool:

Phil

I think Emperor Norton request is a reasonable one for every cruise fourm.

I always appreciate a review , especially from someone currently on board.

When other turn the thread into something else I feel that is very rude.

One can always start your own thread and add links from other's review if you want.

I think Emperor Norton request is a reasonable one for every cruise fourm.

I always appreciate a review , especially from someone currently on board.

When other turn the thread into something else I feel that is very rude.

One can always start your own thread and add links from other's review if you want.

There's a major difference between a reasonable request and creating a new rule. Some "live-from" OPs seem to welcome more give-and-take than others, so the rule might upset as many people as it mollifies. Andy's recent thread was an anomaly because the drydock became a contentious issue across several threads and because, as a Host, Andy felt obligated to take a hands-off approach -- if it had been anyone else's thread, I suspect Andy would have been more active. So let me suggest this approach: when you see a post in a "live from" [or any thread] that is argumentative or dramatically off-topic, use the Red Triangle to bring it to the Host's attention and then leave it to their judgment.