The New Dock at Icy Strait Will Be Ready

AKStafford

From the Juneau Empire: http://juneauempire.com/local/2016-03-04/icy-straight-point-completes-new-dock-adventure-center-and-restaurant

This summer, the Alaska Native-owned cruise destination Icy Strait Point will welcome 160,000 passengers with a newly built floating dock.

Located near Hoonah and 35 miles west of Juneau, the 400-foot floating dock is 99 percent complete and will feature a new Adventure Center and restaurant.

Constructed in partnership with the City of Hoonah, it is expected to be complete well in advance of the first cruise ship call on May 11.

The dock will accommodate the next generation of larger ships anticipated to call on the Alaska market in the coming years.

The 7,000-square-foot Adventure Center is located in front of the dock’s wood-beam, Tlingit-style trestle. It will serve as the welcome center, departure lounge and tour booking center for shore excursions.

Adjacent to the Adventure Center, the Duck Point Smokehouse restaurant will offer outdoor seating on a covered patio with views of Port Frederick and marine wildlife.

“With these new investments, we are confident that Icy Strait Point will offer guests the best arrival experience of anywhere in the world,” said Tyler Hickman, Icy Strait Point’s vice president of operations. “Having eliminated the need to tender, more guests will have more time to experience our shore excursions, delicious dining options and the historic cannery site surrounded by unspoiled Alaska wilderness.”

Icy Strait Point’s restored 1912 salmon cannery is a short walk down the trail or boardwalk along the shore. It is home to a local history museum, Alaskan-owned shops and two other restaurants.

This year, Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Crystal Cruises will make 78 ship calls on Icy Strait Point between May and September.

Icy Strait Point is the United States’ only private large-ship cruise destination. It utilizes approximately 85 percent local hire, holding true to the mission of advancing the economic aspirations and culture of the ”Xúna Kaawu” (the people of Hoonah).

I've been waiting eagerly to see if they'd meet their target for the full 2016 season. Loved ISP, not too bad even getting TO the pier, but HATED waiting for the tender on the way back to the ship as it seemed everyone wanted to be on the last few boats...

• 1 month later...

We were in this port last September. We were the only ship & I don't recall using the tender as a big deal. The travel time was short & we had no wait trying to return to the ship. This unique port & what remains as one of the few real Alaska Ports is gone. The ability to dock & have multiple ships in port at the same time will effect our visit. So maybe for the local economy this is a good thing ? However I think it will change our perception of the best port in Alaska to just another Alaskan destination.

Happy Travels, John

Is it still scheduled to be complete by first May '16 cruise ships. We will be there May 30, 2016 & I dislike tendering. So I'm very interested in their progress!

If you read the article the OP posted, you would have seen that it will be completed by May 11.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We were in this port last September. We were the only ship & I don't recall using the tender as a big deal. The travel time was short & we had no wait trying to return to the ship. This unique port & what remains as one of the few real Alaska Ports is gone. The ability to dock & have multiple ships in port at the same time will effect our visit. So maybe for the local economy this is a good thing ? However I think it will change our perception of the best port in Alaska to just another Alaskan destination.

Happy Travels, John

I don't think Icy Straight Point will completely changes. Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau are the way they are due to the size or location. Skagway offers the gateway to the Yukon. Juneau has being the State Capitol and having Mendenhall glacier, plus fishing and other activities. Ketchikan is the biggest city in the area, and has many options.

What does Hoonah have? A Cannery. Hoonah is trying to survive, and if getting a slice is the way to do it then good for them. Plus who is to say some other town won't become the next Icy straight point. Additionally, until it garners the popularity of the big three it will still lag behind in port calls.

From a cruise line and cruisers perspective, it adds complexity when you have to tender. Plus many cruisers do not like to tender.

I don't think Icy Straight Point will completely changes...

I think it does completely change the experience. Count me among those that will be sad to see the days of tendering at ISP come to an end. While I certainly don't begrudge the people of Hoonah wanting to improve their situation, the need for tendering added to the mystique of ISP for me. It made the place feel like we were privy to the well kept secret of a secluded hideaway. Sappy sentimentally, I know, but it made ISP feel like something totally different than the other stops we made. It will be interesting to go back someday to see how that's changed.

Will be to ISP for first time in August on a HAL ship. I was not looking forward to tendering so this is good news for me. As long as there is only one ship in port I am guessing that this will not spoil the experience.

HAL generally tenders in Sitka and I actually prefer the tender there as it takes you right into the community as opposed to taking a bus from the dock. Again, as long as there is only one ship in port Sitka is a wonderful port. Ten years ago Sitka was so crowded on our August trip that we could not enjoy it. SItka cut back ship visits for a few years but it cost the community tourism dollars.

It's scheduled to be completed by then, but will it be?

We'll be on the Pearl on May 11th - first cruise ship to call in Icy Strait Point this season. New pier or tendering, we are looking forward to a new to us Alaska port. Also happily anticipating our first visit to Sitka on May 9th.