MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

P2230298%20copy-L.jpg

P2230279%20copy-L.jpg

P2230302%20copy-L.jpg

This was a whole bunch of Parrot Fish that arrived together. Sakari was excited and said they were there to great her...the mermaid. She had called them in from the sea.

P2230288%20copy-L.jpg

As we swam along, I had her point to the coral and tell me what type of coral they are. She was pretty darn good with it and knew the names of a lot of the fish. Although I think this was the first time that she might have seen elkhorn coral, so I did have to tell her what it was and why it had that name. Made sense to her. We'll see if she remembers the next time we run across it snorkeling.

P2230294%20copy-L.jpg

P2230311%20copy-L.jpg

P2230313%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari managed to find some spikey sea urchins and pointed it out to me

P2230316%20copy-L.jpg

Another sea cucumber

P2230317%20copy-L.jpg

More sea urchins

P2230346%20copy-L.jpg

Once we were done and went back in, I was still taking pictures from above and still amazed at the crystal clear clarity of this water in paradise.

P2230283%20copy-L.jpg

P2230284%20copy-L.jpg

Since we had a little bit more time, I decided to head back out and try to get creative with some pictures. I attempt doing this every port we go to at the beach, but it doesn't always work out. You really do need a big wide lens in order for it to look right, but I still try it anyhow. The object is to get your lens half above water and half below. Then you capture a picture of both together. Sometimes I win, most times I lose. I will take about 20 of them and hope for the best. Sometimes I'll get maybe 2 good ones that I like. It's really super hard to do since the water is constantly moving and covering the lens most of the time. You have to be really quick with the shutter.

P2230338%20copy-L.jpg

P2230341%20copy-L.jpg

P2230344%20copy-L.jpg

So out of about 20 or more pictures, those were the 3 that I ended up with. LOL

When I returned this time, I found the hubby had joined in on a conversation with another group and their guide. He was telling them about things in Belize and talking about cavetubing and since the hubs has been twice now, he was an expert and joined in.

Sakari yells for me to come here...and so come here I did.

She had found a starfish. We have never found one of these kinds before so this was a win! She had found her a black brittle starfish with only 4 legs. It looks like it lost a leg somehow. Poor thing.

P2230388%20copy-L.jpg

P2230385%20copy-L.jpg

P2230389%20copy-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

There was one last thing I needed to do before I left. That was to try out my camera goggles again. I knew what color setting I had it on last time and ended up getting only video. So, this time I was going to try again with a different color setting and hope that I got pictures this time. (For those of you wondering...the color settings are for when you have your mask on, you can change the settings on it without removing your mask and by the color you see in the upper right hand corner of the mask, you'll know what setting you are on. Well, there is also a display on it that will tell you camera or video. However, my eyesight is getting worse and worse as I get older and I have a hard time seeing up close now. So, I really strain to see the digital display on it).

I WIN THIS TIME! I managed to capture pictures this time around.

PICT0006%20copy-L.jpg

PICT0011%20copy-L.jpg

PICT0019%20copy-L.jpg

PICT0032%20copy-L.jpg

PICT0036%20copy-L.jpg

I won't bore you with all the pictures I took with this camera. They would end up looking like replicas of the other pictures I have already shared using my camera. I just wanted to show the picture quality with this camera versus the other.

Here is a video I did with it too.

snorkeling%20goffs%20caye-M.jpg

Please disregard my long hair floating in the video. LOL It's long-hair-girl-problems when swimming.

Also, someone had mentioned that the video quality from our Cozumel day was pretty good with this thing. Just know that it is hi-def and I am only sharing a low-def video. It would take too long to upload the real thing and take up more space. So, you guys are not seeing the real actual picture. (Especially in the above video...I shared a really small low-def picture, so it's not as good). But to watch it on my computer is just amazing. I had thought about getting a go-pro, but I'm perfectly happy with this at the moment. I just need to learn to use it correctly. I'm not quite sure how far down I have to have my head and did notice several videos with the camera part coming up out of the water. I need some practice. I guess I just need another cruise. Oh wait, I have another practice coming up soon. Go me!

A few more of the area before it was time to gather up things, my little mermaid, and the hubby and head back to the boat.

P2230373%20copy-L.jpg

P2230374%20copy-L.jpg

P2230380%20copy-L.jpg

P2230382%20copy-L.jpg

We gathered our things and headed toward the boat dock and confirmed with our guide that it was time. Sakari insisted on a picture of her and the palmless palm tree before going. She had morphed back into a human again and her secret was safe with everyone on the island.

P2230393%20copy-L.jpg

P2230397%20copy-L.jpg

It was 2:15pm when we headed down the dock. There were a few people missing and the tour guide went looking for them...well, he was looking for the arm band I guess.

They had a bucket of water on the dock for you to wash your feet in before getting on the boat. I got lucky and got a seat that was facing forward this time. That meant for a comfortable ride back to the port.

P2230399%20copy-L.jpg

One last look at this beautiful island before we left.

P2230398%20copy-L.jpg

We pulled out at 2:30pm and was on our way back. I managed to capture another picture of the Jade sitting in the water waiting on our return.

P2230401%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, it's 12:30am and I think I'm going to stop right here for tonight. I'm tired and need some rest. I will try to return tomorrow to finish out this day of the review. I have 2 days of charting to do and I still have 1 more paper to write for class this week that I haven't even started. I feel so overwhelmed at this moment. LOL

Good night :)

Beautiful little island! I will definitely keep it in mind if I ever head that way. I am always amazed at your knowledge of marine life. My reviews go more along the lines; there is a fish, and there is another fish, and that is.... :confused: :D LoL

Loving the review, can't wait for more :)

Beautiful little island! I will definitely keep it in mind if I ever head that way. I am always amazed at your knowledge of marine life. My reviews go more along the lines; there is a fish, and there is another fish, and that is.... :confused: :D LoL

Loving the review, can't wait for more

It was a beautiful "little" island. Very pretty and great snorkeling...even if I had to do it from the shore.

I have always been into fish and had many salt water aquariums. Maybe it's because my zodiac sign is a fish. :D I could actually name all these fish in all my pictures, but don't always want to bore everyone with it. :p

Thanks for continuing to read Gambee. :)

Really cool pictures!!

Thanks for your reviews, they can be so helpful (as well as a great read!). When makes plans for my own cruises I go back to your reviews to "see what Mitsu did"

Thank you. I'm glad I can help. :)

Belated happy birthday Kim! Thanks as always for the review.

I am glad you got a chance to go to Goff. I too had a wonderful time. It reminded me on approaching, Gilligan's Island. I am also happy you spent so much time and pictures on the wonderful coral to be found there.

Goff Cay and Honeymoon Beach at St. John's have been my two favorite snorkeling places in the Carribean. The coral is what made Goff so special as unfortunately we have lost so many of the coral reefs around the world.

If anyone isn't into snorkeling, the cave tubing is a wonderful experience as well. Belize is the one place I really look forward to going to on my cruises. It is such a beautiful country and the residents speak English.

I love your reviews, and thanks so much for posting about Goff's Caye. I had never heard of it before, but now thanks to your review my group and I are now thinking of going there during our Belize stop off the Getaway in May. :)

Edited by tropical83

You're welcome!

I think you could delete the boxes the comments are in. I'm going to save one of your older reviews and take it to work and run it though the converter and see what happens. We've got a converter program at work that can take a file and convert to Word, Excel, and several other options that I don't remember. I mostly convert to Excel but this would be perfect to convert to Word. I'll let you know what I come up with! :)

So the converter was a crap shoot today. But I found out that if you after you change to "Printable Version" click "Show 200 posts on one page" which will cut down on the pages. Then ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, open Word. Click "Paste Special" and then unformatted text (Unicode or not, doesn't matter). Then you have easy text you can work with! I'm playing with another one in Excel and will let you know how it turns out. Sorry to hijack your thread, Kim! :)

Great review as usual, Kim. If possible can you provide a link to the new snorkel set with the camera? Those look pretty neat!

My son in law bought it from Brookstone, but for some reason, I can't locate it on their website. I did find it HERE though. They are pretty cheap compared to buying just a camera or a go-pro and serve two purposes. :D

Great review so far can't wait to read the rest of it. Your pictures are amazing and the videos are really good for first time with the mask. btw your daughter is an amazing mermaid and you capture such great pictures of her.

Thank you. I will get more practice soon and hopefully do a better job.

Thanks for the compliments on my little mermaid. :)

Belated happy birthday Kim! Thanks as always for the review.

I am glad you got a chance to go to Goff. I too had a wonderful time. It reminded me on approaching, Gilligan's Island. I am also happy you spent so much time and pictures on the wonderful coral to be found there.

Goff Cay and Honeymoon Beach at St. John's have been my two favorite snorkeling places in the Carribean. The coral is what made Goff so special as unfortunately we have lost so many of the coral reefs around the world.

If anyone isn't into snorkeling, the cave tubing is a wonderful experience as well. Belize is the one place I really look forward to going to on my cruises. It is such a beautiful country and the residents speak English.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

Goffs Caye was perfect for me. I just really like it. Maybe I will have to try out Honeymoon Beach some time if it's comparable.

I love your reviews, and thanks so much for posting about Goff's Caye. I had never heard of it before, but now thanks to your review my group and I are now thinking of going there during our Belize stop off the Getaway in May. :)

If you decide to go, I hope you have a wonderful time. Thanks for the comments on loving my reviews. I really appreciate it. :)

Great review and pics.

Add me to that list of persons who are being swayed to NCL by your photos and review:D.

Thanks and glad you are enjoying the review and pictures. :)

Thanks once again so much for sharing your pics and the great review. We sail tomorrow on the Jade and now I am looking forward more than ever to our visit to Goff's Caye - if that's possible :)

You are very welcome and glad you are enjoying it. Have a wonderful time on the Jade tomorrow. I hope you make it to Goff's Caye. I'm not sure why you said "if that's possible". If you are not booked, I'm pretty sure you can just go to the desk and ask to book once you get off the ship. They usually take walk-ups. :)

So the converter was a crap shoot today. But I found out that if you after you change to "Printable Version" click "Show 200 posts on one page" which will cut down on the pages. Then ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, open Word. Click "Paste Special" and then unformatted text (Unicode or not, doesn't matter). Then you have easy text you can work with! I'm playing with another one in Excel and will let you know how it turns out. Sorry to hijack your thread, Kim! :)

Hey no problem. I'm interested in this as well since I would like to be able to do that too in order to save my reviews. :) Keep us posted.

Edited because I tried the above and can't find anything that says "Paste Special" in my word. ???

Edited by mitsugirly