Cozumel excursions with family.

suzyed

I have been searching the Celebrity shore excursions in Cozumel and I am so undecided what to do! So I thought I would poll the "experts", my CC buddies!

Our group includes my sister and I (60's), my niece and nephew (40's) and my young nephews (9 & 13). Trying to find something that we all can enjoy! Maybe a regular excursion is not the best choice? Maybe those who have done things on their own, can give some good suggestions? Let's hear about both options!

Thanks in advance!! :D

Cozumel is a challenge as not all ships dock and thus the port is often missed. If into history the ride to Tulum is not to be missed and you do not want to do it except on a ship cruise because of the chance of returning late. If it is rough you have the option to cancel.

A 9 and 13 year old would probably not be interested in Tulum which is the site of Mayan ruins on the mainland. Definitely do some research and probably something water related could be of interest to everyone.

We visited Tulum last February and there were several children in that age span who seemed to really enjoy the excursion. Besides, there's nothing wrong with exposing them to experiences that they might not initially choose themselves.

I forgot to say, you may want to consider booking something closer to the date you will be in Cozumel. Have been here in Playa for some time now and the weather can be rather iffy in this part of the country. You probably wouldn't want to be out on a water excursion if the water is really rough. And believe me for the last week and a half the water between Playa and Cozumel has been very rough because of the wind conditions. I'm sure this is a possibility at any time of year. So if you are thinking of booking a water excursion you may want to take this into consideration. - just a suggestion....

I forgot to say, you may want to consider booking something closer to the date you will be in Cozumel. Have been here in Playa for some time now and the weather can be rather iffy in this part of the country. You probably wouldn't want to be out on a water excursion if the water is really rough. And believe me for the last week and a half the water between Playa and Cozumel has been very rough because of the wind conditions. I'm sure this is a possibility at any time of year. So if you are thinking of booking a water excursion you may want to take this into consideration. - just a suggestion....

We leave on Saturday...so what is your advice?

Taxi to Paradise Beach -- about $25 each way for all 6 of you. $3 admission/chair rental, pay-as-you-go for food/drinks, great facilities, nice beach, HUGE pool. Extra fee for your teens to use the water toys.

No need for an expensive ship sponsored excursion - Coz is easy and safe.

I have been searching the Celebrity shore excursions in Cozumel and I am so undecided what to do! So I thought I would poll the "experts", my CC buddies!

Our group includes my sister and I (60's), my niece and nephew (40's) and my young nephews (9 & 13). Trying to find something that we all can enjoy! Maybe a regular excursion is not the best choice? Maybe those who have done things on their own, can give some good suggestions? Let's hear about both options!

Thanks in advance!! :D

The good news is that Cozumel, unlike some other ports is both safe and has a lot of activities to choose from. Here are some that might interests your multi-generational family group:

Chankanaab Park - Eco Park that is close to the piers with dolphin and mantee swims, snorkeling, some small zip lines, beach, food, etc. You pay about $22 pp for entry and extra for some of the additional things like the dolphin swim.

Driver for the day: Hire a van and driver for the day and have them take you to the PUnta Sur lighthouse, hit some of the wild side of the island for beautiful beaches and really fun little beach bar retaurants.

Water activities galore: Snorkeling tours, day sails (Fury Catamaran might be fun for your family), Personal mini-subs, Parasailing, etc.

Beach Clubs: There are a number of different beach clubs along the west side (pier side) of the island. Some are all-inclusive and some are pay as you go. Most include the use of the chairs, palapas or umbrellas, pool, etc. Some have water toys like kayaks, trampolines, ice burgs, etc. This is a popular excursion for multi-gen families.

I personally don't think a trip to the mainland for the ruins is the best use of a day on Cozumel unless you are really a history buff. Are they cool to see....sure, but I'd save that type of tour for a land stay in Riviera Maya area, as going from Cozumel had a lot of travel time involved.

San Miquel is fun to wander around and shop/eat/drink, etc. Fun little town, but probably not enough to spend the entire day there.

There are a lot of different type of tours that you can do. The nice part is that Cozumel is small and easy to navigate so you can do one or two different things in one day. For instance, we had 6 of us and two wanted to do a dolphin swim, so four of us went to Nachi cocum (AI Beach club) when we docked, the other two took a take to Dolphinarus for a swim, then met us at Nachi Cocum for the rest of the day.

Are you adventurous? You could all do a sea Trek! That's kind of cool experience!

It's very easy to do your own thing in Cozumel. There will be taxis right there at port and taxis at all of the resorts to take you back. We went to Mr. Sanchos once. It was nice if you want to do all inclusive and the kids can do water inflatables. The workers were very nice and it was not crowded. Not so great for snorkeling. Instead of doing all inclusive, they will also let you purchase food, drink, amenities a la cart.

My family preferred the Money Bar because we love to snorkel and the snorkeling is pretty good there. They also have various food/snorkel packages.

Just got back Saturday from Cozumel, someone suggested: "Driver for the day: Hire a van and driver for the day and have them take you to the PUnta Sur lighthouse, hit some of the wild side of the island for beautiful beaches and really fun little beach bar retaurants."

We spent 5 hours touring Cozumel with Crescencio of Black Hat Tours and HIGHLY recommend! Crescencio will tailor his tour to whatever will fit his guests. His van will hold the family, and he charges by the hour not per person. 5 hours was around $150 plus any food/trinkets you buy, and entrance fees of you go to the Eco Park, ruins (not impressed with Mayan Ruins on Cozumel.

creslopez41955@hotmail.com

Edited by Sir_Randy