Princess Fishing Excursion?

emmysmom

Any reviews on the Princess fishing excursions out of Ketchikan or Juneau? My husband and I will be on the Ruby sailing in June this year and are interested in these excursions.

I would love to hear about other Princess cruisers experiences!

Any reviews on the Princess fishing excursions out of Ketchikan or Juneau? My husband and I will be on the Ruby sailing in June this year and are interested in these excursions.

I would love to hear about other Princess cruisers experiences!

What time are the fishing excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan? We are going on the Ruby in September and booked the fishing excursion in Ketchikan as it is in the early a.m., while in Juneau it is in the afternoon. GENERALLY speaking, fishing in afternoon is not as good as in the morning.

We fished in Ketchikan last time we took an Alaskan cruise and it was great. There were 5 of us and captain (can be up to 6) and my husband caught a nice size Salmon(about 30 pounds). At the time we did this, we were able to take our fish home!!! Now if we get another one, we will have to eat it onboard!!

Anyway, can't guarantee catching anything though. Only my husband and one other lady out of the 5 caught anything. But it was a fun time on the water in Alaska anyway.

Pooh

When we were in Ketchikan we didn't go with the excursion from the ship we decided to book a private charter with Oasis Alaska Charters. They did a fantastic job, our captain was very knowledgeable and friendly. The whole process went very smoothly. I would highly recommend them.

Thanks for this info!

Last year, we did a salmon fishing excursion from Princess - there were 5 of us..we took turns fishing - I was the only one that caught a Coho salmon - we sent it home ( very expensive ) and the taste was not very good..later we learned that the fishing at the end of August is when the fish do not taste that good - wish the boat captain had told us that instead of wasting our money. Several years before, we did a private excursion in the morning and it was incredible.....we did not catch any fish but this old captain took us to places where he actually called the eagles down and we hand fed them herring - an amazing experience. So I would recommend a private trip.

eclue:rolleyes:

We booked a private charter with rum runner charter out of Juneau for August! They have been great dealing with to make the arrangements and look forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was the only one that caught a Coho salmon - we sent it home ( very expensive ) and the taste was not very good..later we learned that the fishing at the end of August is when the fish do not taste that good -

Other than shipping was expensive, the rest of your statement is incredibly inaccurate. August and early September is the prime coho season. Don't blame the fish if you didn't like the taste.

I will harvest and process ~30 coho the first couple of weeks of september for personal use. They will all taste good.

My husband has repeated a couple fishing excursions with Princess or HAL that he recommends - The Wilderness Fish Camp (or something with a similar name) out of Ketchikan where they cook your catch and have it for lunch, and a fly-out fly fishing trip out of Juneau.

I'm attaching some pictures.

We had a great time in Sitka fishing for Dolly Varden (trout?) with Tad Kisaka (sp?)

http://www.flyfishsitka.com/Classic_Casting_Adventures/Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Southeast_Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Freshwater_Fishing,_Tongass,_Salmon_Fly_Fishing,_Trout_Fly_Fishing.html

and DH used "the Hook-up" in Ketchikan last year:

http://hookupflyshop.com/

DH much prefers stream catch-and-release fishing to the ocean salmon fishing. Sending salmon home can be very expensive and he wasn't able to find a boat where he could hold his own rod and not have to share. That was a deal-breaker for him. YMMV.

If you have any interest in fishing at all, do join your husband. Walking and fishing in a remote stream in Alaska is something you will never forget. :)

204219030_Juneauflyoutfishing.jpg.bc7a17dd9abbb256cf1db457e0daa103.jpg

681347496_juneauflyout.jpg.fe923966923f10bf26cec750e0beb2f0.jpg

2039673551_ketchikanfish.jpg.38ed70a5cb8cbdb373e7a7dd455be5b2.jpg

1874273976_flyoutfishingplane.jpg.3b512a23da7b7c3ecf3a8f9d0af7777d.jpg

Last year, we did a salmon fishing excursion from Princess - there were 5 of us..we took turns fishing - I was the only one that caught a Coho salmon - we sent it home ( very expensive ) and the taste was not very good..later we learned that the fishing at the end of August is when the fish do not taste that good - wish the boat captain had told us that instead of wasting our money. Several years before, we did a private excursion in the morning and it was incredible.....we did not catch any fish but this old captain took us to places where he actually called the eagles down and we hand fed them herring - an amazing experience. So I would recommend a private trip.

eclue:rolleyes:

We are fishing in Kenai........how expensive is it to send home, ball park, so I/we won't be shocked, LOL

My husband has repeated a couple fishing excursions with Princess or HAL that he recommends - The Wilderness Fish Camp (or something with a similar name) out of Ketchikan where they cook your catch and have it for lunch, and a fly-out fly fishing trip out of Juneau.

I'm attaching some pictures.

We had a great time in Sitka fishing for Dolly Varden (trout?) with Tad Kisaka (sp?)

http://www.flyfishsitka.com/Classic_Casting_Adventures/Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Southeast_Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Freshwater_Fishing,_Tongass,_Salmon_Fly_Fishing,_Trout_Fly_Fishing.html

and DH used "the Hook-up" in Ketchikan last year:

http://hookupflyshop.com/

DH much prefers stream catch-and-release fishing to the ocean salmon fishing. Sending salmon home can be very expensive and he wasn't able to find a boat where he could hold his own rod and not have to share. That was a deal-breaker for him. YMMV.

If you have any interest in fishing at all, do join your husband. Walking and fishing in a remote stream in Alaska is something you will never forget. :)

We just booked the Alaska Fishing and Wilderness Dining excursion directly through Baranof. It's the same company and same excursion that Princess uses but if you book through Princess it costs you 110.00 more per couple! Princess marks up their excursions to make a profit. My son and daughter in law took this excursion last year (booked theirs direct also) and said it was the highlight of their cruise. Through Princess the Price is 319.95 per person. If you book direct with Baranof its 265.18 per person.

Years ago my DH and DSIL did the trip. They had a wonderful time. Drinking was to be had. Laugh, joy, two boys and their toys. I'm 100% sure neither of them listened to the cost of shipping the salmon home. This was around 10 years ago and I can guarantee you the cost to ship it home cost more then the excursion (or at least close to it). The most expensive fish we've ever had. Think about it. Overnight with UPS or whoever. Now add the weight. Now add that it has to be kept frozen.

If you want to figure it out go on their website and put the city from/to and the above. Just make sure you are sitting down. Honestly, I don't remember but 10 years ago it was over $120.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Years ago my DH and DSIL did the trip. They had a wonderful time. Drinking was to be had. Laugh, joy, two boys and their toys. I'm 100% sure neither of them listened to the cost of shipping the salmon home. This was around 10 years ago and I can guarantee you the cost to ship it home cost more then the excursion (or at least close to it). The most expensive fish we've ever had. Think about it. Overnight with UPS or whoever. Now add the weight. Now add that it has to be kept frozen.

If you want to figure it out go on their website and put the city from/to and the above. Just make sure you are sitting down. Honestly, I don't remember but 10 years ago it was over $120.

That was a great ball park, considering all that, LOL. Can't wait to experience this excursion. I do not fish, but will enjoy doing something new and having DH enjoy his day.