GETAWAY Picture Review (Great Stirrup Cay, Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica)

mpcaruth

Great review, we will be on Getaway May 1st. Patiently awaiting more.... well kind of patiently :)

Thanks for your patience. I have been busy, with my final class paper due on Monday, a death in the family, and packing for our camping trip this weekend. I will try to get a few more post in today and hopefully this weekend too.

The Water Front:

One of my favorite things about this ship is the large outdoor Water Front area on Deck 8. I enjoyed my brisk walks here early in the morning, as well as a cool relaxing stroll in the evening. Although I never ate along there at any of the restaurants, we did enjoy a few cocktails while taking in the scents and sounds of the ocean.

Advice, if you like to take morning walks on the jogging track, you may want to consider this area instead. The layout of the upper deck jogging track is sort of like being crammed into a place it shouldn’t be. Passengers from a sun deck area were always crossing over the track on their way to the Flamingo Bar and Grill. Often joggers and walkers would have to dodge the other passengers. So, I decided on the second day to try my morning walk along the Water Front. Only a very few passengers were out and about, some reading in the comfy chairs, some catching their early morning smoke at the designated outdoor bar area, and maybe 10 or so other walking too. You can walk around approximately 80% of the ship. The outdoor deck goes along both sides and the aft, but when you get to the front, you will have to cross over through the inside of the ship (minor inconvenience).

facebookP1110529_zps5mstxtjr.jpg

facebookP1110525_zps55uhvjge.jpg

facebookP1110530_zpsi5v1xffs.jpg

facebookP1110524_zpsacirljo2.jpg

The aft: I love the breeze and views from here!

facebookP1110531_zpsiprae4bg.jpg

facebookP1110527_zpsadynysqe.jpg

The Water Front Continued:

At the most forward end of the Water Front is jumbo chess.

facebookP1110122_zpsdcntlsy6.jpg

There are also plexiglass viewing ports on the deck to see below to the water. Slightly intimidating at first.

facebookP1110108_zps1enplpob.jpg

My son and I enjoy playing shuffleboard, and this can be found one deck below on deck 7 (I think, but it is not shown on the deck plans).

facebookP1110821_zpsghwsnrgp.jpg

facebookP1110120_zpsdef3unwv.jpg

The Water Front during a slightly busier time of the day:

facebookP1110116_zps82wpiwiq.jpg

The Water Front Continued:

The kids getting their gelato on!

facebookP1110841_zpsbt9wjury.jpg

My son is always fascinated about the logistics and intricacies of the ship. So, for safety purpose, he is picking out the best dingy boat (one with a motor).

facebookP1110823_zpsttobfza1.jpg

facebookP1110824_zpsj6lcfszs.jpg

I am enjoying your review and pictures. We leave for Miami in two weeks!!

Thank you for the idea of taking our walks on the waterfront. We would rather enjoy the outdoors than be inside the gym on a treadmill.

Looking forward to more...

Grand Cayman:

Good morning Georgetown, Grand Cayman!

facebookP1110314_zpsjawoxisy.jpg

This was another tender port. As I had a big day planned for here, I wanted to make sure we were one of the first off the ship. So, the night before, I booked our 8:00 AM tender through iTV, the in-room television account app. Ahh, this worked perfectly, as we boarded the tender on time, and was in port in no time. I had done lots of research beforehand on CruiseCritic about taking the public buses to the Turtle Farm. We found the main bus stop two blocks away adjacent to the library. We boarded immediately and were towards the Turtle Farm. The fare is $2.50 per person.

facebookP1110328_zpsx7r2rzsn.jpg

Picture of the buses lined up at the main “station”:

facebookP1110334_zpsoz7yciyo.jpg

We were literally the first to arrive at the Turtle Farm. I had thought about purchasing our tickets online beforehand to save 20%, but decided against it in case the weather was bad. Since we were heading to the beach later, we decided to only purchase the basic tickets for the Turtle Farm (breeding pond, touvh tanks, wading pool, and education center). The cost of the tickets were $18 for adults and $9 children (4-12). We like the Turtle Farm, but were disappointed to learn that there were no hatchlings to play with at this time. Darn! Apparently the hatching season beginning late April through June. Regardless, my daughter, who adores sea turtles, loved the rest of the facility, especially the wading pond.

See, we had the whole place to ourselves!

facebookP1110337_zpseohohpyx.jpg

facebookP1110338_zps4q9tposa.jpg

Some of the older turtles:

facebookP1110335_zpsylbz9aga.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

facebookP1110339_zpsj65c6pl8.jpg

You cannot go to the Caribbean without taking a lizard photo.

facebookP1110429_zpsdyf6elvc.jpg

These tanks contained the youth turtle... still no touching the turtles.

facebookP1110351_zpsf4ifhoon.jpg

facebookP1110343_zpsnim7xg4w.jpg

facebookP1110348_zpsjtv7wajv.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

The wading pool! Now off to the best part (well, at least the best when there are no hatchlings). There must have been about 6 pools to allow the guest to stand in and play with the youngest turtles. Since we got there early, we had the pools to ourselves and probably stayed there for 30 minutes - no lie, my daughter was in heaven. The assistant said we were lucky, because in a little while it will be extremely crowded, and you will only get a few short minutes to get in the wading pool.

facebookP1110356_zps3wl7ebk3.jpg

facebookP1110361_zpszxcv0quy.jpg

facebookP1110362_zpssi1eywou.jpg

facebookP1110369_zpsbezvjqu6.jpg

facebookP1110364_zps5e9aoyy8.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

facebookP1110380_zpsoq9tnyqj.jpg

Time to say goodbye to the little fellows.

facebookP1110359_zpsafhgywzi.jpg

facebookP1110366_zpssxlh9ocz.jpg

We leave the wading pools and head over to the museum. There were some interesting info and displays, but I did not take any photos. Yes, the turtle farm is just that, a farm. However, by raising the turtles for meat, they have eliminated the harvesting of the wild turtles whose numbers were dropping towards extinction. AND, they also release a significant amount of the raised turtles to the wild to help regain the wild population.

My daughter bought a souvenir from the ship (a turtle toe ring - go figure!). As we were leaving several organized tour groups were arriving. Lots of people, guides fussing with each other over territory closest to the ponds, and people just outright ignoring their guides directions. So glad we took the bud and had the place to ourselves before the crowds arrived.

facebookP1110436_zpswzkmpjbv.jpg

facebookP1110437_zpskou22xj8.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

Across the street you can buy...

facebookP1110438_zpsrss6fnyw.jpg

Also across the street from the Turtle Farm is the Dolphin Discovery facility. We walked about 500 feet the other direction to hit the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. We sampled a few cakes, but decided we could buy our cake at the one closer to the port and we would not have to carry the cakes to the beach.

facebookP1110439_zps6xbdpq7p.jpg

So, we walk back towards the Turtle Farm and waited for the next bus (about 10 minutes).

facebookP1110440_zps7k3uxrpe.jpg

facebookP1110442_zpscbablkba.jpg

Our next stop would be Calico Jacks on Seven Mile Beach. The bus stop for Calico's is about 1000 feet from the beach:

facebookP1110450_zps76hyl51z.jpg

Here's our walk from the stop to Calico's:

facebookP1110449_zpsen4arzvg.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

I have read many great reviews and recommendations for Calico Jacks: good drinks, free wifi, bathrooms, free chairs when eating/drinking at Calico's, and loungers for rent. What else could you want for a lazy beach day???

Ok, so we may have been the early birds to the Turtle Farm, but when we arrived at Calico Jack's it was PACKED!

facebookP1110472_zpsgafvhe29.jpg

facebookP1110471_zps32p6nlx5.jpg

facebookP1110475_zps0wkkw0qs.jpg

facebookP1110470_zpsfz1onxvd.jpg

facebookP1110461_zpsatzupgo7.jpg

facebookP1110477_zpsmsbtjwrp.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

We did manage to get some of the last few loungers for $10 each (ouch for a family of 4, but there was no room on this tiny beach to throw down a towel for an hour or two.

facebookP1110462_zpsltukryzk.jpg

facebookP1110455_zpsc5skjnxz.jpg

Fresh caribbean barbeque for sale next to Calico Jacks.

facebookP1110478_zpsokhzqbid.jpg

facebookP1110454_zpsyqrsznzk.jpg

facebookP1110453_zpsaikepnvf.jpg

This guy was really fun to watch.

facebookP1110458_zpsaruuoqc4.jpg

Grand Cayman Continued:

Calico Jacks is loud, crowded, and bustling with energy. Not quite a relaxing beach day. Although we enjoyed ourselves here, I would probably not venture her the next time we are in port.

Rather than walk all the way out to the bus stop and wait for a bus, we grabbed one of the taxis that was waiting at the edge of the beach. As we have often found out, taxi drivers can be some of the most entertaining and enlightening individuals!

When we get back to the port area I try to find a quick restaurant to try some turtle soup, but was unsuccessful. It was an afterthought, and I had not prepared for it before the cruise. We saw the Blackbeard rum cake shop, and decided to give it a try. I ordered the mixed 6-pack of small cakes and was pleasantly surprised when I was told it came with a free large cake. Wow, I paid only $25 for all of it. We typically buy Tortugas. And guess what, the Blackbeard rum cake was just as good! It's a family cruise tradition to buy rum cake and take a picture with the pirate.

facebookP1110483_zpspdx29hm7.jpg

And everywhere you look in GC you see a chicken (or rooster).

facebookP1110452_zpsjwjwzyvx.jpg

The last tender was scheduled for 3:00, and we were greeted with a long, hot line around 2:15 or so. This is when being a Haven guest with privileges to skip to the front of the line would have been real nice!

facebookP1110484_zpsywy4ylbq.jpg

Chalk up another great port day!

I am enjoying your review and pictures. We leave for Miami in two weeks!!

Thank you for the idea of taking our walks on the waterfront. We would rather enjoy the outdoors than be inside the gym on a treadmill.

Looking forward to more...

I agree! I walk more than 10 miles on a cruise, and I have never used the treadmill on one. I love the fresh air and breeze on the ships.

I really enjoyed your review! This will be our first time on Norwegian!. We leave May 29. I liked the idea about walking outside on the Waterfront. We are staying in the Haven. I did not know we could skip to the front of the line! Thank you for the great tips and pictures!

I really enjoyed your review! This will be our first time on Norwegian!. We leave May 29. I liked the idea about walking outside on the Waterfront. We are staying in the Haven. I did not know we could skip to the front of the line! Thank you for the great tips and pictures!

It is my understanding that Haven guests get priority tendering... aka skip to the front of the line.

As someone who is considering this itinerary, I found this to be a FANTASTIC post. Thanks so much for being so descriptive about both the ship AND the ports/logistics!

Thanks! Honestly, I probably enjoy writing about the ports a little more than the ships.

Fyi...make sure to check your room type. Those larger balconies are specifically called "Large Balcony" and are the B6 category. They are only forward of the ship on Deck 9. If you are mid-ship or aft, you likely have a BD or BB room, which are regular size balconies (save for several angled balconies).

Just didn't want you to be misguided!

We have a BA. Will it be even smaller?