Thoughts About the Falmouth Jamaica Port Stop...Should I Bother?

cjdixon4

My theory is to try each port at least once. As for Falmouth, the new port has lots of great shops and is very nice to visit...at least walk around "the bubble" to take in something new. We did do a couple of excursions: zip lining and dunns river falls. I had to pinch myself saying, "I'm zip lining through a jungle in Jamaica while everyone at home is at work right now..."

My point, try to find something you'll enjoy. Do something new. And if ya don't like the port, you'll know next time to stay on the ship (I've done this in Nassau before, so I get it!).

We have been to Falmouth twice and have had two very different but very enjoyable experiences. First time we did Dunns River Falls and river tubing, yes the Falls is crowded and touristy but it is an experience and we were glad we did it. Second year we booked walking tours on our own through Falmouth Heritage Walking tours, we did a combination of the Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour and the Jewish Cemetery Tour and had a fabulous experience. It was just our family of four and our two tour guides (one was training) were two local young women who talked to us and our teens about growing up in Jamaica, one of their desires to leave for education, etc. Towards the end of the tour we visited a woman in her home, she was an American who married a Jamaican musician and had lived in Jamaica for many years, having raised her children there (as adults they had moved to the states)--so interesting. We also broke midway to meet with the owner of the company who was at that time just starting the Jewish cemetery tour, which we found fascinating, because who knew there even was a Jewish cemetery in Falmouth Jamaica? It would have been a shame to stay on the ship and miss these great experiences--particularly since the walking tour, being right off the ship, still allowed plenty of time to be on the ship before the bulk of the passengers returned. Would highly recommend the tour if you have an interest in daily Jamaican life or history, they did a great job and it was very reasonably priced.

We will be in Falmouth for a third time on an upcoming cruise, debated staying on the ship but decided that would be a waste and to try a beach club excursion. We have never met anyone but warm and welcoming people so we look forward to another visit.

I did the tour to Dunns River Falls my first visit to Falmouth. It's an iconic stop and really a great excursion (except for the way too aggressive vendors at the end). But this coming trip I will stay in port.

I saw all I needed to see of the area outside the gates when we were on the tour bus. I am a big city person and generally have no trouble with rougher neighborhoods in or out of the US. That was one I was personally not going to do by myself.

Did you do an RCCL tour or private to the falls? We'll be there in October and my wife REALLY wants to see the falls, so I'm looking for a good excursion there.

Do you know how to contact the Falmouth Heritage Walking tour? I tried the "contact us" button on their website and it didn't do anything. It is cheaper to do it through them then the ship. Did you pay when you booked or when you did the tour?

When we went on our first cruise, Jamaica was our favorite stop. We hired Courtney Taylor tours and had a great time. We learned so much about Jamaica and the people. I would definitely encourage you to at least try it.

We have taken the pay trolley around the town. Got to see the town and the tour included a narrated history.

We've also done a walking culinary tour. Walked thorough the town with two guides and sampled local foods. Everything from fruits to meat pies to jerk chicken and even some sweet goodies. By far our favorite for Falmouth. Do an Internet search for it. Very worth the money.

We felt safe on both excursions. Both of these are independent excursions.

In an earlier post you asked about the heritage walking tour. I believe this one can only be booked through the ship.

Edited by denamo

Dee were just there and If I didn't have an excursion planned I would stay on the ship. Other than the ports shops at the pier I would never step food in Falmouth ever again. How anyone can enjoy that place is beyond me.

That is exactly how I feel about Nassau.

When we went on our first cruise, Jamaica was our favorite stop. We hired Courtney Taylor tours and had a great time. We learned so much about Jamaica and the people. I would definitely encourage you to at least try it.

If you want to do an excursion, I second Courtney Taylor! And blue hole is sooo much cooler than Dunns.

Has anyone tried any of the beach break excursions there in Falmouth from the Liberty and how did you like it?

We are torn on which beach break excursion to take. It seems like that Doctors Cave Beach in Montego Bay is the nicest. I don't think the beaches in Falmouth have very nice water.

Contact a good tour guide. We have used Courtney Taylor and found him to be great. He will take you to some hidden gems and stay with you.

I found several great reviews on TripAdvisor for Courtney Taylor Tours. I assume that he picks you up from the port area and returns you to the ship in a timely manner? Hubby and I might look into it. We simply want a relaxing tour, with nothing adventurous (climbing, hiking, etc.).

so is the red stripe beach excursion worth it? we are trying to decide if we just want to stay on ship.. but don't want to miss a beautiful, relaxing beach..:)

Would also like to know if people think the Royal red stripe beach excursion is worth it??

Have done Red Stripe Beach several times and would do it again. It is not a big fancy resort however it is nice and more than serves the purpose for a day at the beach. Food and drink is good and not over priced. You can only get there via a ship excursion. Buses run about every 30 minutes. The staff there works hard to take care of the folks.

We book Courtney Taylor EVERYTIME we are in Jamaica whether on cruise or land week vacation. I can NOT say enough about him. Contact him with ideas of what you would like or just leave it to Courtney. He actually will probably be cheaper than a beach break through the ship and would take you to Montego Bay

We are torn on which beach break excursion to take. It seems like that Doctors Cave Beach in Montego Bay is the nicest. I don't think the beaches in Falmouth have very nice water.

We did Dr. Caves a couple of years ago. We did not book an excursion via RCCL. There were buses inside the gates that were clearly marked as to where they were going. I cannot remember how much it was, I think $20pp round trip. It was a 45 minute ride and I was starting to get worried because it felt so far away.

Well, we had a blast. Great place. There are tons of shops on the main road where the bus drops you off and a Margarittaville. Loved it.

We just were there on Anthem. Our friends took a $20 tour that was offered when you walked off the ship. We were going to do that, they said it was terrible and good we didn't do it and saved the money.

We just walked around the shopping area inside the port. I would never pick a cruise that had a) Falmouth or b) Roatan on its itinerary ever again.

When you get off in Roatan, Honduras, there is a big sign for you to leave any valuables, jewelry, things you don't want stolen back on the ship locked in the safe. Nice welcome.

My DH and I didn't even want to buy anything there. The vendors were very aggressive as where the private taxi/tour operators. Such a waste of a stop.

Edited by CruisingChick

Recently, I had to cancel a cruise and my DH went with his high school best friend. We had booked Jamaica for a Day at the Rose Hall Hilton. By all accounts it was a fabulous day, so much so that they missed the bus back to the ship and had to arrange for a couple locals to drive them back to the ship. Good drinks, good food, lazy river, nice beach, great service. Funny, he never misses the ship with me! We are planning to do this in December from the Allure.

We just walked around the shopping area inside the port. I would never pick a cruise that had a) Falmouth or b) Roatan on its itinerary ever again.

When you get off in Roatan, Honduras, there is a big sign for you to leave any valuables, jewelry, things you don't want stolen back on the ship locked in the safe. Nice welcome.

Yes, the world and life is different outside of the suburbs of NYC (Connecticut). :)

Yes, the world and life is different outside of the suburbs of NYC (Connecticut). :)

We have plenty of crime where I live.

I have been on 26 cruises and have never seen a big sign like then when exiting the ship. It's almost like they are telling you to turn around and get back on.

Hi, we had a fabulous tour rafting down the Martha Brae river, nice and tranquil and some lovely scenery well worth the money,

I second this an excellent experience, not for those looking for thrills just a tranquil, gentle secinic relaxing ride, and the captains of your raft can be entertaining and knowledgable.

Finished our day with a swim in the Margaritaville. really enjoyed our day