Celebrity Summit Aqua Class Cabin on Deck 11

bugsy43

I am hoping for some feedback on what the Aqua Class Cabins on Deck 11 of the Summit are like.

I have cruised often but have always been mid-ship on a central deck with cabins above and below me.

For our upcoming cruise this July to Bermuda, we have booked ourselves into an A1 AQ Cabin on Deck 11. I have never been this night up. We are right above a seating area of the Oceanview Cafe and I know the Basketball Court is above us on Deck 12 (although our cabin is further behind the court).

Does anyone have any experience or comments on these cabins on Deck 11. Are they in a good location? Are they noisy? They are close to the AFT elevators so we thought that was good in the sense that it's convenient to the pool, buffet, etc.

I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

We have never been in AQ and I only booked it because it was actually less $$ than the CC cabin we would usually book.

I am excited to try BLU (under the assumption that I can order some MDR favourites in BLU if I ask which some other threads seem to indicate is possible and not a problem).

Thanks in advanc for your help and comments

We have stayed in these rooms a couple of times and they became our favorites. They were quiet, convenient to Blu, the buffet, and the elevators. We never encountered issues from the basketball court, or being above the buffet. We liked them so much we booked them for our 15 night Panama Canal cruise, which is on DH's bucket list. HOWEVER, that was before they decided to put an outdoor movie theater above them. We are having second thoughts now about moving to a different location. There has been some feedback on these boards so far on the first ship to add that feature - the Infinity. Some say it is no big deal; others say it ruins the experience of being able to sit on your balcony and enjoy the quiet. I suspect for cold weather cruises it would not be a big deal - for warm weather cruises I am very concerned. I am interested in hearing more about people's experiences as more M class ships get this addition.

I should add that of course any cabin that far aft may feel a little more motion that those mid-ship. As far as being up high on the ship, I honestly did not feel that affected the motion very much, and I am very sensitive to it. The laws of science say the further from mid-ship, height or width, matters. But for me, being far forward or far aft matters more than being on a higher floor. I will say also that being that high you do not get as much of the vibration at the aft of the ship which can sometimes be the case on M class in particular.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We are also considering a cruise on the Summit. The most common critique of the Summit I've found thus far seems to be the wear and tear in the cabins and especially the cabin bathrooms. I wonder if these cabins are preferred, as they are relatively new and were not added until the Summit was Solsticized.

Interesting point about the new movie area. I hadn't thought about that!

We have stayed in these rooms a couple of times and they became our favorites. They were quiet, convenient to Blu, the buffet, and the elevators. We never encountered issues from the basketball court, or being above the buffet. We liked them so much we booked them for our 15 night Panama Canal cruise, which is on DH's bucket list. HOWEVER, that was before they decided to put an outdoor movie theater above them. We are having second thoughts now about moving to a different location. There has been some feedback on these boards so far on the first ship to add that feature - the Infinity. Some say it is no big deal; others say it ruins the experience of being able to sit on your balcony and enjoy the quiet. I suspect for cold weather cruises it would not be a big deal - for warm weather cruises I am very concerned. I am interested in hearing more about people's experiences as more M class ships get this addition.

I should add that of course any cabin that far aft may feel a little more motion that those mid-ship. As far as being up high on the ship, I honestly did not feel that affected the motion very much, and I am very sensitive to it. The laws of science say the further from mid-ship, height or width, matters. But for me, being far forward or far aft matters more than being on a higher floor. I will say also that being that high you do not get as much of the vibration at the aft of the ship which can sometimes be the case on M class in particular.

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I didn't realize until just now that the new Rooftop Terrace offering the movies is right above but looks like it's at the very rear. Our cabin is about 1/2 way between the elevators and the last aft cabins. I wouldn't imagine that they play movies constantly? Would it not be just at set times? I know on Princess their Movies under the Stars is only at certain times.

Now, I'm anxious about the location as the last thing I'd want is to try and relax on our balcony or take an afternoon nap and not be able to relax.

Downgrading isn't even really an option as the price we got for this AQ cabin is less than what the cost for a Verandah GTY is going for now (by almost $500 for both of us).

I guess I will just have to hope for the best?

We were on the Summit for the third time in December. She has just come out of dry dock less than a month ago. I'd imagine they spiffed her up in addition to changing The Normandie Restaurant to a Tuscan Grill. Hopefully that was a good move since we have never been that impressed with The Normandie and have eaten there a number of times.

As far as the afts on 11. We did an aft on sister Infinity and loved it. The port and starboard deck 11 cabins do have a nice balcony but there is not a large overhang which permits you to venture forth in inclement weather like the Aquas on the aft or deck 9.

I never heard anything from the outdoor theatre on the Summit. Very few seemed to partake of those events and they did not have movies every night.

The Aqua cabins are the same size as the Concierge class cabins with the exception of the 4 larger CC cabins on deck 6. The showers have different jets but most leak. I do hope they have fixed this nagging problem. It's been more of a problem for the cabin stewards than passengers I would think.

I'm sure you can tell from the deck plan that these cabins are well located. The aft elevator is handy. The outside stairs lead you to the Oceanview bar and Oceanview Cafe. There are stairs forward to the pool.

Enjoy your cruise.

We had cabin 1119 for 2 weeks in February right before it was to go for its facelift. We have had other cabins on deck 11 before and it is so convenient to the elevators and Blu, which we love. However, I like to sit on the balcony at night and they were testing the screen upstairs and it was very loud. I only noticed some bass thumping inside the cabin one night. While I found it annoying, I would not say it ruined our trip. In fact we have booked the Summit again for 4 weeks for our February get away again. The only change I made was to move the cabin further forward!

As far as the balcony goes, it is not covered on these cabins, and there is not any shade to be had if it is sunny! But I still love the location. You can get the aft cabins that do have the shaded and larger balconies, and we have had those too, but we are not aft people! Prefer the port side. Glad that there are choices for us all!

I am also booked on Deck 11 but a few doors in from the doors. I was right by the door last time but could hear the door constantly banging and folks would peek around to look at the balcony so moved in a few doors. I did like the cabin and its convenience to everything. This was before dry dock so will report back regarding the noise level with the movies above.

Another positive for the Deck 11 cabins seems to be that their balcony dividers can be removed/folded back for groups traveling together-- the only cabins on the Summit that can do this.

Here a pic of deck 11, cabins 1114 and 1116 balcony with the divider open.

1282302474_SummitDeck111114to1116.jpg.c29ba587f3debae79801d4ca78de6808.jpg

Not sure what I am looking at. Does it fold toward the railing? That's unusual, as it usually goes toward the cabin.

You are right they did fold toward the rail. As most M Class balconies do not open. Here are 2 more pic's. The one pic you can see there is not much overhang.

For us deck 11 on the M Class ships are the best. With the back stairs down to the bar and food from the buffet. The elevator will take you down right near Blu. Also from your cabin you can walk on deck 11 forward to the Sky lounge for the Elite Events. It was a win win.

In the pic with the overhang you can see that some of the balconies are a little larger. They might be slightly smaller than the normal M Class. Of coarse that aft balconies are oversized.

364342000_deckoverhang.jpg.43e1bc2eaa374a87d057c606062f8d34.jpg

deck.jpg.83899538671bba13ac5d1d44d4baf676.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
Add more info

One comment on Blu....Don't assume that you can order something on the MDR menu when you are dining in Blu....they won't do it . If you want something on the MDR menu, then you have to dine in the MDR.

One comment on Blu....Don't assume that you can order something on the MDR menu when you are dining in Blu....they won't do it . If you want something on the MDR menu, then you have to dine in the MDR.[/quote

Service went downhill when they stopped the direct tipping in favor of prepaid or adding gratuities to the shipboard account daily. The staff could care less and will not go above and beyond for anyone. If they do, it's rare.

One comment on Blu....Don't assume that you can order something on the MDR menu when you are dining in Blu....they won't do it . If you want something on the MDR menu, then you have to dine in the MDR.[/quote

Service went downhill when they stopped the direct tipping in favor of prepaid or adding gratuities to the shipboard account daily. The staff could care less and will not go above and beyond for anyone. If they do, it's rare.

Been in Blu on the Summit many times in the past. Asking for something - you get and then you don't depends as the mel preparation areas are not connected so you can't get it maybe then BUT if you ask for it the next day, a lot of the times - surprise. JUST DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND WHEN YOU ORDER FOR THE NEXT DAY. Seems things are not available after that.

It is true that on some of the port and starboard cabins on Deck 11 AQ the balconies are a bit smaller than normal - some are more standard size. Not sure if any of the side cabin balconies are larger than normal, or just the aft facing. I don't recall which was which or I would post it, but you can check the M class cabin sticky and read about particular cabins before you finalize your decision.

On Summit last year we had 1105 and 1107 and felt they were good cabins, although the balconies are smaller than any I've ever had anywhere. Loved the location. Out the door 10 steps to elevator or down one flight of stairs to buffet area. We were worried about the fact that there's no hangover over balcony, we had heard rooms get too hot, but we had no trouble with that. We closed drapery as needed and that worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be staying cabin 1131 in July as well, so interested in hearing others thoughts on these cabins as well. Just like the OP, we booked this cabin about a week and a half ago, when the rate was some how about $1000.00 less then it is now, so switching to another cabin really is not an option.

Really hoping the new rooftop terrace won't be too loud!

We just spent last week in 1119, with our friends next door in 1117. It is the third time we've stayed on deck 11 on Summit; our fifth time on the ship. We did hear the sound from the rooftop terrace and had to call guest services to complain. They did lower it after that, but you can definitely hear it on your balcony. We also heard people moving around at night when they played the NCAA basketball games. I don't think we would pay extra to book one again.

As for Blu, the service remains better than the main dining room, but they have definitely cut back since our last stay 2 years ago. There are less waiters serving more tables, and only one sommelier for the whole room. That may not seem like a problem, but with almost everyone having the free beverage package, the poor guy is run ragged all night long.

Summit remains our favorite ship and we have booked again for next year, only in an ocean view room on deck 3 (one of the newer ones) where we have been before as well.

Hi dtagirl:

We just booked a cabin in a very similar area- 1118. You said you booked one a little further forward for your next cruise- was that to reduce the noise from the screen? If so, how far forward might make a difference?

Thanks!

We did a long cruise in 1102 with friends in 1104. These were great staterooms. The location was convenient, deck overhang sufficient, staterooms newer than our other choice, which was deck 9 aqua staterooms. We found the area to be quiet and private. We encountered no loud "door banging."