Come-on...Whos skipping the muster drills???.....

sandymc47

(like suzeeQ,) and HOW do you do it. I do not need anyone on their soapbox , telling me WHY I should go, I KNOW WHY! I have been to 14 of them, and want to hit the pool, as soon as I board, and do not want to worry about getting out, to change for another drill. I have heard that they actually inspect your cabin, to make sure its empty, I wonder what they would say to you, if you stayed in the pool?

sandymc

It's the law for one thing and its for your own protection.

Unless you sailed each of your 14 cruises on the same ship and had the same cabin it is doubtful that you would know your way to the proper muster station for where you are on any given cruise

Lack of that knowledge could, in the least, add more confusion to a life or death situation.

People who do not go to the lifeboat drills are stupid.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I guess I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't go. It is one of the few things that they do ask of you. Granted I have only been on one cruise so far but that goofy drill means I am on a cruise!!!! Not back in NH!

icon_cool.gificon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norway 5/11

It is painless and takes about 20 minutes - just go. Besides, on Princess - you get to sit in nice lounges verses other lines which makes you stand outside on the deck.

Geez Chris that is uncharacteristically harsh.

You have such a nice guy thing going most of the time.

Our Muster station was the Theater, something I found in about 15 seconds without directions.

We have an average IQ of nearly 140 and being called stupid is not a common event.

They did check to see if our cabin was empty but not very hard.

One open Princess booking

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Exactly Coral...that's another reason I love Princess. No muss, no fuss muster drilla.

Plus, to me, my cruise officially starts when I make it back to my cabin after the drill and I take the life jacket off icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I figured this is the response I would get.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad we did not disappoint icon_smile.gif

Muster Drill is the great equalizer. No matter our station in life, opinions on proper dress for formal night, or any of hundreds of other things that we can use to balkanize ourselves, we all look equally silly wearing those orange vests. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

And, after all, it's the law, and for your own good.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

To answer your question....I'm not one of the ones skipping so I don't know how it's done and I won't get on my soapbox! You already know what I would say icon_rolleyes.gif

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

I am glad you are so smart. That way when you go to the wrong life boat and we tell you we are leaving you behind you won't have any problems in comprehending what we said.

BTW I have an IQ of 157 and my husband will be the first one to tell you that having a high IQ does not go hand in hand with being "smart".

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dosi:

I am glad you are so smart. That way when you go to the wrong life boat and we tell you we are leaving you behind you won't have any problems in comprehending what we said.

BTW I have an IQ of 157 and my husband will be the first one to tell you that having a high IQ does not go hand in hand with being "smart".

Good golly Miss Molly, does 157 excuse snide? What do you rely upon to assume I would go to the wrong life boat?

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

I don't rely on anything. I think you would have better luck finding the correct life boat if you go to muster drill. And noting that I have a husband I would prefer that you call me Mrs Molly.

Additionally on the two cruises I have been on we were forced to wait until every person on the ship was accounted for. The first time when our meeting place was an indoor lounge, waiting the additional ten minutes for the staff to find the "hiders" was not all that bad. On the second cruise we had to wait around 10-15 extra minutes outside in the hot sun with our pfds on. So while I am concerned about your safety and your ability to find your life boat if you need it, I am primarily concerned with my comfort. I feel it is not only irresponsible to skip the drill but highly inconsiderate to your fellow cruisers.

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

On our 30 day cruise in March Princess got us to the Star so late that we missed the muster. I checked to see we had a couple of life jackets in our cabin. We (obviously) survived!

There were several bus loads of people in the same boat, so to speak!

Star Princess Bangkok to Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0800

As long as Princess doesn't hold up everyone else waiting for people who are slow to show up then I don't care if anyone attends or not.

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Dosi,

What you can not know from your cruise history Mrs. Molly, is that Princess does not do as Carnival does and hold people for "hiders".

They actually make a point of announcing that they don't do a head count, that in the event of an emergency they have specially trained personell to verify that the cabins are empty.

Your previous and obviously unpleasent experience does not apply here another positive having to do with Princess, welcome aboard.

Please remember that I was replying to someone who made the blanket statement that anyone who did what the OP asked about was "Stupid" that is inflamatory at the very least as these boards are supposed to be a place where people share opinions and information WITHOUT personal attacks or offensive language.

I did not say..."anyone who goes is a sucker" nor do I feel that way.

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

Thank you for the clarification...as I stated in my original post, while my numbers may be high my lightbulb tends to be on the dim side. I appreciate your help in letting me know how Princess does things. BTW I have been to Phoenix and think it is very beautiful.

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Doris,

Phoenix was pretty for the last 8 months, now... not so much. We try to escape during the Summer as budget allows.

I don't think you bulb was on dim, I think it was on "ah hah" that is the so and so who kept me sweltering in the heat. Which I can understand. I can honestly say I wasn't on either of the ships you have sailed on, so... this so and so is in the clear.

icon_smile.gif

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

Actually they don't "assign" you a lifeboat..someone is confusing muster drills with the Titantic. We have "missed" one or two and lived to tell the tale. In the event of an incident you go to your station it's not a difficult concept to implement. I don't know my IQ which affords me the luxury of thinking I am smarter then I actually am. (giggle) I think. (Smile)

Jenice

Well we are NOT stupid and we missed our muster drill. It was only " semi intentional" we were truly exhasted after boarding our ship , we had been up at 3 am the day before to start our 16 hour travel day ( not including when we finally arrived and then traveled to the hotel.) we had to wait 2 hours for the Princess bus to take us to the ship and by then I was just run down. We went and sat on the lounge chairs by the aft pool and dozed( we boarded around 3:30 ate in the buffet) and were half asleep when we vaguely heard an annoucement.We just lay there, seriously half asleep, I said to my hubby " are we supposed to do something" he didn't answer as he was out like a light, a staff member walked by and said nothing to me so I closed my eyes and the next thing I know people started coming out around us, one man and child had lifejackets in their hands I said " is it the safety drill?" and the man said it was over. So we missed it.

We never had anyoone aproach us and we weren't "hiding"!!

We have never experienced Princess taking a head count or checking cabins on any of the cruises we have taken. In fact last year when I took my mother to Alaska on the Star our cabin steward told us we did not need to attend since my mother used a wheel chair for traveling long distances. Additionally on our last few cruises out of San Juan where they normally hold muster prior to sailing they no longer always hold muster drills on the following day for those people who missed it due to late arrival.

For anyone who is a 1st time cruiser they are a MUST! For experiences cruisers it is a MUST to know where your jackets are, how to use them and where your muster station is - just in case you choose not to attend. Some of us can really repeat the dialogue given at the drills - just as most know the instructions given by the flight attendants on airplanes.

Crown '93,Star '94, Regal '95,

Sun '96, Crown '97, Dawn '98,

Dawn '99, Sun 2000, Dawn '01,

Grand '02, Coral '03,Star 6/28/03, Sun 3/10/04, Star 02/27/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2005;2;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Star Princess Sailing

Amen! I vote with larsen. I travel with my Mom who is not in a wheel chair, but is eldery and is she ever slow. By the time we get up there, it's over. We have both been to numerous drills and will go if we choose to on our next cruise, or not go if we choose not to. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

Lynda

This is all so strange b/c on Carnival it is presented as mandatory. They tell you that it is maritime law that EVERYONE on the ship attend before the ship can leave port. And they back that statement by not letting anyone leave the drill until all folks are accounted for. So either they are confused, or are liars or some Princess is sliding under the radar. Ah now I have something to discuss with the Captain at dinner.

doris

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

We always go, but for a diferent reason.

I have a collection of photos of my wife in her life vest. I suppose I could just have her put it on and go stand on the balcony, but I do like to get the other orange colored vests in the background.

What bothered me on our 4/17/04 Golden muster drill was for the 1st 15 minutes they just did a bunch of self promotions for disco, art auction, etc. I suppose this was to fill time till they were sure everyone was there.

I prefer the HAL and RCCL version of going outside on the deck and take roll call. Better backgound for "The Picture" icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Rob & Marty Potter

We have solved the problem of muster drills in the following manner:

We believe they are important and fun. Our family is very experienced at cruising and like many others, it is a rite of passage for starting a cruise. Besides, I enjoy talking to others as we all sit in the lounge awaiting the drill.

That said, I do not believe in waiting around in the cabin for the drill to begin. About 15 minutes before the drill one of us returns to the cabin and collects the life jackets for the eighty year olds of the group, who are busy saving seats in whatever lounge the drill is in and also in obtaining drinks for all of us. We arrive to the drill early, life jackets and drinks in hand, and have a lovely time meeting others around us.

While it is perhaps more seriously taken by the staff, I hate the drills on RCCL standing on deck in the sun, all crowded together and such. Princess accomplishes a similar objective with so much more class.

Archived