Come-on...Whos skipping the muster drills???.....

sandymc47

If it's possible to transfer the attention away from my use of the word "stupid" and back on the issue of the safety drill, how could anyone NOT agree that it is important to go to the muster drill?

I mean ok, maybe you go and hide in a closet someplace until it's over but why would you not publically support something that could save your life and is required of all passengers?

Regardless of the fact, as outlined in the cabin guide that "all passengers must attend a Passenger Muster Drill" and that "This drill is a requirement of International Law", I believe it is a dangerous message being sent to board members who might here researching their first cruise, if for no other reason.

As far as a handicapped person skipping the muster drill is concerned that is a REALLY bad idea. If anyone needs to know what to do in case of an emergency it is someone how might require more attention. Princess is really good about removing barriers for the handicapped in other areas and, as stated in the muster drill, crew members are available to help.

As far as parents with teens are concerned. I wonder if there might be a correlation between parents that skip the muster drill (break the rules) and parents with teens that run amok at 3AM (break the rules)?

Just some food for thought from my simple little mind

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Two men, starting at the same point, walk in opposite directions for 4 meters, turn left and walk another 3 meters. What is the distance between them?

2 meters?

6 meters?

10 meters?

12.5 meters?

14 meters?

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Star Princess 10/24/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CruisingIsLife:

Two men, starting at the same point, walk in opposite directions for 4 meters, turn left and walk another 3 meters. What is the distance between them?

2 meters?

6 meters?

10 meters?

12.5 meters?

14 meters?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naren went on a date in a former life with Pythagorus. Naren's answer is 10.

What does he win?

Happy Sails,

Mrs. Tulpule

133048249pdgnND_th.jpg133602221JczsZh_th.jpg133602907kMhHvb_th.jpg133041689xgejxJ_th.jpg

Naren, "But I can't help falling in love with you."

Click here to see more wedding pictures

icon_smile.gif CCL Paradise 9/23/2000 #U161 - icon_frown.gif CCL Holiday 3/5/2001 #M32 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif RCCL Explorer 9/1/2001 #7298 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/7/2001 #R171 - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif CCL Pride 3/2/2002 #6194 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Vision 10/11/02 #4521 - icon_biggrin.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/27/2002 #E135 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 1/20/2003 #U197 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Monarch 12/19/03 #9580 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif CCL Ecstasy 2/6/04 #M209

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;13;09;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 ... until our Star Honeymoon

time98.gif

10 meters is correct, they are bascially walking two sides of a triangle, 4, 3 leaves 5 across the missing edge. 5 times 2 is....

TEN, not so stupid huh Chris? Perhaps I could find my way to the Princess Theater, which was directly below my cabin three decks down on a staircase wider than my car without a life vest drill.... I don't practise jumping out my bedroom window incase of fire but I bet I can find that too.

One open Princess booking

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I once slept thru the muster drill.

There were actually two of them on the TP as people came in at different times. I as off the ship for one and sound asleep for the other.

I have always gone to all musters as I have the kids and everyone needs to know what to do and where to go in an emergency.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Another reason to travel the day before, then you are not so exhausted the day of sailing..<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pg.:

Well we are NOT stupid and we missed our muster drill. It was only " semi intentional" we were truly exhasted after boarding our ship , we had been up at 3 am the day before to start our 16 hour travel day ( not including when we finally arrived and then traveled to the hotel.) we had to wait 2 hours for the Princess bus to take us to the ship and by then I was just run down. We went and sat on the lounge chairs by the aft pool and dozed( we boarded around 3:30 ate in the buffet) and were half asleep when we vaguely heard an annoucement.We just lay there, seriously half asleep, I said to my hubby " are we supposed to do something" he didn't answer as he was out like a light, a staff member walked by and said nothing to me so I closed my eyes and the next thing I know people started coming out around us, one man and child had lifejackets in their hands I said " is it the safety drill?" and the man said it was over. So we missed it.

We never had anyoone aproach us and we weren't "hiding"!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean

Sun Princess

I did a precriuse. But went scuba diving and spent the day on the water....

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I think it was on our 2nd cruise, we didn't do muster. We came in late, the day of our cruise. Muster had already taken place. Didn't know then, to come in a day or two earlier. They did give us a slip of paper saying muster would also be the next day. For those who had missed it, the first time around. We never went.

Now after 11 cruises, we know to come in a few days early, & always do muster.

Minette

Caribbean Princess.......7/24/2004

Island Princess......12/20/2004

srphnx you say you could find your bedroom window in a fire even though you do not practice jumping out of it in the case of a fire. I wouldn't bet my life on it that you could find it. You may be surprised at how hard it is to find something in a smoke filled room. I know of people who could not find their way out of their own room and did not make it and these were very smart people but are no longer with us. You make the assumption that you will act rationally in an emergancy situation and that everything runs smoothly. The fact is that rarely happens.

I personally feel everyone should go to the muster drill but I will not lose any sleep over it if they don't. Perhaps Princess should start doing a roll call like some of the other cruise lines.

May you have clear skies and calm seas!

Actually srphnx, while you do not need to practice jumping out a window as part of your home safety plan you should practice finding at least two exit routes while blindfolded and crawling, if possible. In case of a housefire your home may fill with extremely thick smoke leaving you disoriented both from lack of oxygen and from visual impairment. Practicing ahead of time makes you aware of physical landmarks that you may not notice in your day to day life. Additionally if your bedroom is on a second floor or higher I urge you to invest in a portable folding safety ladder for at least two of your bedrooms and practice exiting your house via the ladders at least once a year.

Like practicing at muster drill, practicing at home can make the difference between a happy conclusion and a bad end.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

have only attended 1 muster in 6 cruises...we like to hide out in our room and drink champagne instead. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dosi:
while blindfolded and crawling, doris

[B]Doris/Mrs. Molly, how very KINKY. Do we have to call it "fire drill"? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img][/B]

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02
Paradise 9/21/03
Star Princess 10/24/04<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Princess doesn't do a head count or separate folks into lifeboat sized groups. They do show you how to put on your vest and instruct you on the proper way to jump off the ship! Can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if an actual lifeboat emergency occurred. BTW, my 12 year old could answer the former math problem easily, what was the point or was it just for fun?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PEB:
srphnx you say you could find your bedroom window in a fire even though you do not practice jumping out of it in the case of a fire. I wouldn't bet my life on it that you could find it. You may be surprised at how hard it is to find something in a smoke filled room. I know of people who could not find their way out of their own room and did not make it and these were very smart people but are no longer with us. You make the assumption that you will act rationally in an emergancy situation and that everything runs smoothly. The fact is that rarely happens.[B]Actually you make the assumption that I am assuming, I have had three bonified life and death emergencies in my life, all of which I handled rationally, I agree that simple things can become much less simple but my own history has repeately PROVEN my personal reaction to crisis is calm. As you say,not everyone's is. By the way, my bedroom window is ground floor and within arms reach of my bed.[/B]

I personally feel everyone should go to the muster drill but I will not lose any sleep over it if they don't. Perhaps Princess should start doing a roll call like some of the other cruise lines.

May you have clear skies and calm seas!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

I agree with dosi and PEB. When there is an emergency you will only be able to get out quickly without chaos if you practice. Things will look much different with no lights or emergency lighting. This is also the time for the CREW to practice. They need to be able to learn to deal with large amounts of people in an emergency situation and get them going the right direction.

In answer to the original question, you don't have to change clothes for the muster drill. It's a come-as-you-are event. If you want to maximize your time in the pool, bring along your robes and life jackets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> BTW, my 12 year old could answer the former math problem easily, what was the point or was it just for fun? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want your 12 year old to take this test:
[url="http://www.mensa.org/workout.html"]http://www.mensa.org/workout.html[/url]

The topic of IQ had come up earlier and while this is not an IQ test it represents a similar testing matrix...meaning it's just for fun

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Star Princess 10/24/04

Never met a muster drill I didn't like, but I really like Princess having it inside. That is after I get an xx small life vest. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Muster drills are a "must". As others said, it is the law...

Besides that, I find it a bit funny to see those on their first cruise trying to put on their life jacket [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and how shy they look !

Even if it wasn't the law, I wouldn't miss it ! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Alain R.

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------
Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?
Just go to:
[url="http://www.imagestation.com/members/alainrobert"]Alain & Linda cruises pictures[/url]
... and enjoy !
---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------
1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)
2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)
2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)
2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)
NEXT CRUISE:
2005/03/20 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

You may not want to hear it but: It's Federal Law! Since I'm a nurse I never skip it because I don't want the Feds telling the Nursing Board! Anyways, is better to be safe than sorry! Also, be lucky you are going on Princess which sends you to the Theater or one of the Lounges and you sit in nice cool air conditioned environment. I have been on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America and they all make you put on the life jacket and stand in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale humid heat for 20-30 minutes! I think they do it so that you go to the bar and buy two expensive tall frozen drinks! (LOL)

11/04 HAL/Zuiderdam
02/04 HAL/Rotterdam
09/03 RCI/Majesty of the Seas
04/03 RCI/Navigator of the Seas
06/02 Princess/Grand Princess
05/98 Celebrity/Mercury
07/97 Celebrity/Century
06/96 Celebrity/Century
05/95 Celebrity/Zenith
06/82 Premier/Dolphin

Archived