The internet signal on the Norwegian Getaway must be really strong...

Rob32

I keep getting a notification on my phone stating that "you are now connected to the NCL Getaway wi-fi"...

What makes this so impressive is that I'm in Dublin, Ireland!

Wait until FDR sends you an "impressive" bill for your connection!!

I keep getting a notification on my phone stating that "you are now connected to the NCL Getaway wi-fi"...

That is impressive! Did you try and sign on?

That has been going on since at least early 2014 when we got the app beforre our BA sailing. Think we just ended up deleting the app because it would pop up several times a day while at home/work.

i got this too after my cruise. it was such a sad reminder that i wasn't on vacation anymore :(

That has been going on since at least early 2014 when we got the app beforre our BA sailing. Think we just ended up deleting the app because it would pop up several times a day while at home/work.

Instead of deleting this app, you can go to Settings of your phone and turn the notifications of the Norwegian app to off. You really don't need the notification feature to use the app.

I found iConcierge handy for booking dinner reservations while on the ship.

Have previously installed the App on both Android & iOS but yet to run into this problem experienced by some, yet :D

Check your App's "permissions" as you might be granting NCL access to your device's contacts, microphone, phone & storage, by default. Go to Settings, Apps and scroll them to the NC and change them under permissions. Plus, next one down is Notifications - enable "Block all" (Show on lockscreen, and Allow peeking are probably "On") should disable any pop-ups on your homescreen, lockscreen and/or statusbar. These steps are valid for Android MM 6.0 - running NC's version 3.0.20, similar ones should work under iOS 9.

Regardless, the notification should not turn on unless you are near a usable signal nearby with SSID of "NCL_nameofship" (where "nameofship" is Dawn, Breakaway, Escape, or Gem, etc.) and your app is allowed to run in the background 24/7 - which, of course, will contribute to draining your battery ... slightly and reducing your overall standby time for your mobile device. :eek:

Simplified technicals - WiFi signal typically has a maximum outdoor, line-of-sight range of 150 to 330 ft. radius with a standard antenna. Newer 802.11 "n" on 2.4 Ghz band with upgraded antenna can double or triple the typical usable range (typical Fios modem/router with dual antenna have 5 to 8 dB gain) and external semi parabolic antenna (15 dB gain) might have a range up to 20 miles (highly unlikely, especially in urbanized area and congested airwaves with not hundreds, but thousands of WiFi's broadcasting signals on a small # of channels).

The App is useful to check on availability & book dining reservation as noted, but, it does NOT show a list of confirmed dining time and/or venue, nor shows booked - a major shortcoming. Maybe, NCL's app developer will get to it later on as I am sure they've read the feedbacks & comments posted - had to call the reservation desk to check and/or call on the house phone extension to ask & check - while we're on the Breakaway. "Fix it" ;)