Global Entry at Port Everglades

john_galt

We did our homework and decided to apply for participation in the Global Entry program. It's run by the Customs and Border Protection agency (Homeland Security). Cost is $100 and it's good for 5 years. Our interviews were last month and approval came the following day. An additional benefit is approval for Global Entry (GOES) also gets you TSA Pre-Check.

Global Entry worked great at Port Everglades! There was a separate line for GOES and we got to skip that long line at customs! We used Luggage Valet so all we had with us was one carry on bag. TSA Pre-Check so no line there either.

The combination of Luggage Valet, Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check made for the easiest debarkation and return flight ever! :D

For those that go outside the it is wonderful. Even better is driving back to the US from Canada where at many larger port of Entry you have a designated lane and do not even stop - merely hold you card(s) up and drive by.

We did our homework and decided to apply for participation in the Global Entry program. It's run by the Customs and Border Protection agency (Homeland Security). Cost is $100 and it's good for 5 years. Our interviews were last month and approval came the following day. An additional benefit is approval for Global Entry (GOES) also gets you TSA Pre-Check.

Global Entry worked great at Port Everglades! There was a separate line for GOES and we got to skip that long line at customs! We used Luggage Valet so all we had with us was one carry on bag. TSA Pre-Check so no line there either.

The combination of Luggage Valet, Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check made for the easiest debarkation and return flight ever! :D

I agree it is great and worth $100. Have they actually added a scanner at the port? Last time it was just a "skip the line" process.

There is not a scanner at Port Everglades in terminal 4. There is a posted sign for a line that is for global entry. Much shorter line. Went thru couple weeks ago in less than a minute. Asked the agent if they would be putting a scanner in Terminal 4, due to cost the answer was no.

Mirage

We are TSA-Pre-check. It had worked well.

Did not get Global because we would have to be interviewed at an airport (CLT or ATL) when we pass through. Nothing near our hometown. So far, none of our flights give us enough time for the interview to schedule an appointment.

I don't understand this app. If you are flying overseas, when do you have time to fill out the pass and still only have 4 hours before your receipt expires?

When a traveler is preparing to enter the U.S., the traveler completes the “New Trip” section of the app: selecting arrival airport and airline, taking a “selfie” photo, and answering standard CBP customs declaration questions. Upon arrival, the traveler uses the app to submit this information along with the profile data to CBP. After reviewing the submission, CBP may send a digital, secure bar-coded receipt to the traveler’s smartphone via the app. This receipt will expire in four (4) hours. The traveler then proceeds through the arrivals area, following the Mobile Passport Control signs until prompted by CBP to place their digital bar-coded receipt on the barcode scanner and presenting their passport to a CBP officer. Unless further inspection is necessary, the passenger then exits the arrivals area.

For those that go outside the it is wonderful. Even better is driving back to the US from Canada where at many larger port of Entry you have a designated lane and do not even stop - merely hold you card(s) up and drive by.

You still have to stop and talking to the CBP agent in the booth.

As a note, if you live anywhere near the Canadian border and are thinking about getting global entry you should consider getting Nexus. It's $50 for 5 years and has all the benefits of GE. You just need to have an interview with CBSA as well as USCBP.

I don't understand this app. If you are flying overseas, when do you have time to fill out the pass and still only have 4 hours before your receipt expires?

You submit the information once you are on the ground and have a data connection to do so, right? You just complete the info on the plane so you're ready to submit it when you land, much like filling in that standard form that everyone else does. This is for arrivals into the US.

I have no idea why they do not have it at Port of Miami but it saved us a ton of time at the airport in Miami. Incredibly long lines at TSA and they had signs warning TSA-Pre and Global Entry to not make comments to those standing in line.

What did they mean...comments? :confused:

You submit the information once you are on the ground and have a data connection to do so, right? You just complete the info on the plane so you're ready to submit it when you land, much like filling in that standard form that everyone else does. This is for arrivals into the US.

OK, I didn't think you would be able to get to the form without a WiFi signal to do that ahead of time. I'll give it a try in about 7 weeks when coming back into ATL from AMS. :D

• 7 months later...

Any idea if/when Mobile Pass will be available in Miami.

Incidentally, it did not work for me when we got of the Harmony OTS on 11/8. Only a few folks were able to use that line. I suspect they filled out their form early.

The terminal number is required on this app. I didn't have it and the info was not available to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Global Entry does not guarantee TSA Pre Check status for flying. We've had ours for several years now and fly 6-7x a year. There have been a few times when we did not get TSA Pre-check assigned to our flying boarding pass. When we asked the airline why we were told that it's ultimately up to Homeland Security and they randomly decide sometimes to NOT assign the TSA Pre status and make the person go thru regular security. Still, I have not regretted spending the $ or the time to get Global Entry. My point is - just don't expect to ALWAYS get TSA precheck when fyling.

Just returned from Celebrity Infinity cruise returning to Port Everglades.

Celebrity Infinity did not offer Luggage Valet this trip. We were not happy because we are not allowed to check-in to air carrier until 4 hrs prior to flight.

We had a long wait with bags. Celebrity offered a transport to FLL but the charge was much $$$ more than taxi or van and we would still have to take bags thru customs.

We have the TSA pre-check and Global Entry. Did not know that Global Entry could be used for cruise.

Edited by texkan