Summit Bermuda Elbow Beach

LA_CA_GAL

Just booked our first cruise on Celebrity.

Let the planning begin. We are going to Bermuda, and I am looking at excursions.

Specifically, I am looking for information from anyone that did the Celebrity excursion to Elbow Beach (Elbow Beach Day Package)

First, it is $100 per person. 6 hour tour. It includes beach chairs and a snack. It says that food and beverages are available at additional cost.

And that is about all of the information provided by Celebrity.

Seems to me that the Celebrity (and most cruise lines) put the excursion descriptions together by their Sales Prevention Teams.

If anyone did this specific excursion, I would appreciate any info.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

Let the planning begin. We are going to Bermuda, and I am looking at excursions.

Specifically, I am looking for information from anyone that did the Celebrity excursion to Elbow Beach (Elbow Beach Day Package)

First, it is $100 per person. 6 hour tour. It includes beach chairs and a snack. It says that food and beverages are available at additional cost.

Seems to me that the Celebrity (and most cruise lines) put the excursion descriptions together by their Sales Prevention Teams.

You will likely get better responses by going to both the Roll call for your ship and the ports section. Celebrity is organized to try and sell excursions on board where the people are knowledgeable - not online.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not one of those folks who will automatically shoo you away to the Ports-of-Call Boards. ;) BUT ... the Ports-of-Call Bermuda Board is one of the best, IMHO. It is frequented by a couple of locals -- and folks lucky enough to spend time in that beautiful country. You'll get lots of great information over there.

Back to your original question. I've never done any of the ships' tours on Bermuda, but you might want to check out the private options for the beaches, like Coco Reef. It's a beautiful private hotel, located on Elbow Beach. They sell day passes that include: all day at the beach; use of their beautiful pool, and changing facilities; beach towels and loungers -- AND -- a full lunch. It's been a couple of years since we've been there, and I don't remember how much the cover charge was -- but, I'm pretty sure it was less than $100/pp. If you google Coco Reef Bermuda, you should be able to find current pricing & reservations info on their website. :cool:

I have gotten the day pass at Coco Reef in the past (2013) and it was at the bargain price of $50pp and included all that the above poster stated.

I am again sailing to Bermuda in Aug on the Summit and reserved passes once again, but the price has gone up to $69pp.

This is not an excursion sold by Celebrity, it is on your own, therefore you are responsible for getting yourself to the resort.

We took a taxi and if my memory is correct I think it was about $35 each way which included the tip. If anyone is more positive on the cost of the fare, hopefully they will chime in.

As the above poster stated, the Ports of Call boards for Bermuda provide a ton of information on things to do on the island. Check it out, especially if it's your first time there.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not one of those folks who will automatically shoo you away to the Ports-of-Call Boards. ;) BUT ... the Ports-of-Call Bermuda Board is one of the best, IMHO. It is frequented by a couple of locals -- and folks lucky enough to spend time in that beautiful country. You'll get lots of great information over there.

Back to your original question. I've never done any of the ships' tours on Bermuda, but you might want to check out the private options for the beaches, like Coco Reef. It's a beautiful private hotel, located on Elbow Beach. They sell day passes that include: all day at the beach; use of their beautiful pool, and changing facilities; beach towels and loungers -- AND -- a full lunch. It's been a couple of years since we've been there, and I don't remember how much the cover charge was -- but, I'm pretty sure it was less than $100/pp. If you google Coco Reef Bermuda, you should be able to find current pricing & reservations info on their website. :cool:

I have spent a lot of time on the Bermuda Port of Call board.

And yes, it seems like Coco Reef might be a good private excursion to consider. I was on their web site, but no info on day passes, so I did send an email inquiry to them about that.

But, I am just trying to find the specifics on the Celebrity excursion to Elbow. Total cost from them for 2 would be $200. Say that I decide to do Coco Reef on our own, assume day passes are $60, that would cost us $120. But, I would imagine cab fare (not doing buses) might come to total $100.

I am again sailing to Bermuda in Aug on the Summit and reserved passes once again, but the price has gone up to $69pp.

Thanx for the info.

I just called them (yep $69) and I think that the best way to go is privately and forget the Celebrity excursion.

And yes, it seems like Coco Reef might be a good private excursion to consider. I was on their web site, but no info on day passes, so I did send an email inquiry to them about that.

But, I am just trying to find the specifics on the Celebrity excursion to Elbow. Total cost from them for 2 would be $200. Say that I decide to do Coco Reef on our own, assume day passes are $60, that would cost us $120. But, I would imagine cab fare (not doing buses) might come to total $100.

We did have bus/ferry passes, which will get you there. However, the bus stop at Coco Reef is at the bottom of a rather steep hill. We opted to take the ferry to Hamilton, where we had no trouble hailing a taxi for the 15 (or so) minute ride to Coco Reef. When we got ready to leave, we had the front desk call a cab for us. :cool:

I also did Coco Reef last year and it was wonderful. You have a pool, beach, changing facilities, cab drops you right at the door. Additionally for the $69.00 you get a delicious lunch with an included glass of wine. The best way to get to Coco reef is to take the ferry to Hamilton and then take a Taxi to the hotel. I believe the price for transport was about $15.00PP. If you wish to make a reservation all you need to do is send them an email which is on the site with the number of people and the date. They even provide towels.

By the way, Coco Reef is located on Elbow Beach...

Edited by dkjretired

Reading this thread made me very curious about something - I'll be in Bermuda on the Summit in a few weeks and I've never been on a cruise where the ship stays docked overnight. Is there a time you still need to return to the ship each day or can you return as late as you wish? Since a few of you who posted here seem experienced in this area, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Reading this thread made me very curious about something - I'll be in Bermuda on the Summit in a few weeks and I've never been on a cruise where the ship stays docked overnight. Is there a time you still need to return to the ship each day or can you return as late as you wish? Since a few of you who posted here seem experienced in this area, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

There is no curfew; you can stay ashore as late as you want during the overnight.

Once the ship docks on Wednesday you are free to come and go as you please at whatever time you want until you need to be back aboard to set sail on Friday.

Love the 2 nights in port, gives so much time to enjoy beautiful Bermuda!

Here's the web page for Coco Reef day passes.

The taxi fare from Hamilton to CRR is about $13.00 plus tip for up to 4 passengers, Monday to Saturday travel.

The Celebrity description of the excursion can be found here; from that description:

• Beach chair rental, shared umbrella, and one bottle of water per person are included in the shore excursion cost.
  • Full food and beverage service is available. Purchases are at guest’s expense.

SBtS

The taxi fare from Hamilton to CRR is about $13.00 plus tip for up to 4 passengers, Monday to Saturday travel.

The Celebrity description of the excursion can be found here; from that description:

• Beach chair rental, shared umbrella, and one bottle of water per person are included in the shore excursion cost.
  • Full food and beverage service is available. Purchases are at guest’s expense.

SBtS

Just to clarify they are two separate excursions..

SBtS

Which is why I posted. The Celebrity description tells you absolutely nothing.

I am on the cruise, I was interested in the excursion, but, it did not tell me anything.

Elbow beach is pretty big. Where on Elbow Beach?

Where can we get "Full food and beverage service"?

But .... as we say in Philly .... fuggedabowdit. I will do it my way.

Want nothing to do with the Celebrity excursion, as I have no idea about it.

Thanks for the great information about Coco Reef day passes! I just emailed them asking for a reservation. In the meantime, I have a couple questions:

1. How do you pay? In person via cash or credit card? Or prior to getting there via email/phone/online?

2. When is all aboard is on the last day in Bermuda? The sail away time says 4:30, so I'm thinking all aboard is at 4pm. Does that sound right?

3. How much time would you allow from the time the hotel desk calls a taxi, you drive back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the ship? Just want to see if my timing is feasible.

Thanks for ALL the help!

Thanks for the great information about Coco Reef day passes! I just emailed them asking for a reservation. In the meantime, I have a couple questions:

1. How do you pay? In person via cash or credit card? Or prior to getting there via email/phone/online?

2. When is all aboard is on the last day in Bermuda? The sail away time says 4:30, so I'm thinking all aboard is at 4pm. Does that sound right?

3. How much time would you allow from the time the hotel desk calls a taxi, you drive back to Hamilton and take the ferry back to the ship? Just want to see if my timing is feasible.

If departure time is 4:30PM, you should be back on board by 4:00PM.

I think what is most important part on your return trip is that it is tied to the frequency of the Hamilton to Dockyard ferry. From the 2015 summer schedule, that ferry runs once per hour on the :00.

The last ferry you could take back to the Dockyard departs Hamilton at 3:00PM. A 20 minute ferry ride puts you in the Dockyard at 3:20PM. Now working back from 3:00PM ferry departure; you have to arrive before 3:00PM. Google has the trip from CRR to Hamilton at 12 minutes without traffic, assume 15 minutes.

To be on the safe side, I would want to be departing CRR by 2:30PM. When you check in, find out if there are taxis always waiting for a fare, and then you can figure when to leave the beach, and taxi drivers do no want sandy, wet passengers in their taxi.

If things don't go according to plan, it is a 40 minute taxi ride (w/o traffic) from CRR to the Dockyard.

SBtS

If departure time is 4:30PM, you should be back on board by 4:00PM.

I think what is most important part on your return trip is that it is tied to the frequency of the Hamilton to Dockyard ferry. From the 2015 summer schedule, that ferry runs once per hour on the :00.

The last ferry you could take back to the Dockyard departs Hamilton at 3:00PM. A 20 minute ferry ride puts you in the Dockyard at 3:20PM. Now working back from 3:00PM ferry departure; you have to arrive before 3:00PM. Google has the trip from CRR to Hamilton at 12 minutes without traffic, assume 15 minutes.

To be on the safe side, I would want to be departing CRR by 2:30PM. When you check in, find out if there are taxis always waiting for a fare, and then you can figure when to leave the beach, and taxi drivers do no want sandy, wet passengers in their taxi.

If things don't go according to plan, it is a 40 minute taxi ride (w/o traffic) from CRR to the Dockyard.

SBtS

I cannot thank you enough for all your help on all my Bermuda questions! I really appreciate it!

I would definitely not do it on the last day.

Thanks to both of you and your information, we decided not to risk it on the last day. We moved it to the first day we're in Bermuda. That way, if we're late for any reason, we have a buffer. Instead, on the last day we'll rely on a taxi for our beach trip. Thanks again for the help!

We did Coco Reef in September and it was $60 pp and well worth it. We are going back in May and doing a catamaran snorkel/swim. Booked it directly with the company versus going thru cruise line and saved about $35. I love have the ship docked and being able to come and go as you please. Looking forward to playing a round of night time glow in the dark mini golf at Fun Golf right at Kings Wharf after dinner on the ship. It's a lot of fun if you have a group!

We went to coco reef hotel in Bermuda last time we went to Bermuda- We had a full lunch and access to the hotel amenities. It was a great day. We did pay a taxi to take us to and from the port. It still worked out cheaper and we had a wonderful day. I wouldn't hesitate to book it again. The boutique hotel is located next door to the elbow beach hotel, on Elbow beach. We might book it again this August and go with our family who will be joining us on the cruise. The hotel has a website.

Enjoy.

We have done Coco Reef twice and it is a very nice quiet day. We have taken the bus and then .5 mile walk as well as taking ferry and a taxi, all depends on what you want to spend and physical limitations. We usually go on th middle day of 3 days in Bermuda and bus to Horseshoe the other 2 days.

Enjoy

I cannot thank you enough for all your help on all my Bermuda questions! I really appreciate it!

Thanks to both of you and your information, we decided not to risk it on the last day. We moved it to the first day we're in Bermuda. That way, if we're late for any reason, we have a buffer. Instead, on the last day we'll rely on a taxi for our beach trip. Thanks again for the help!

Glad to see you changed the day, leaves you a lot more room. One minor problem for the first day, not a big deal. Everyone is running to get the tokens for the ferries and buses from the Summit and the Breakaway and the lines can get long. Remember there is a second booth further down which usually has shorter lines that people are not aware of which usually has a shorter line. Enjoy...