Med cruises

kplattzzz

We've never cruised the Mediterranean, mostly because we love relaxing days at sea. These itineraries seem to have either few, or often, no sea days. Yeah, we could always just stay on the ship in any port, but since we're paying the fees to stop, feel we m u s t g e t o f f t h e s h i p. Any advice for cruising the Med on a small- to medium-sized ship that has at least a couple of sea days?

Yes, a Med cruise is very port intensive.

The key is to pace yourself.

In some selected ports we might do a full day tour.

But we balance this by not doing organized tours in some ports and just going out on our own.

Some lines do have itineraries that will have a couple of sea days.

Look at itineraries that are around 12 to 14 days.

Keith

if you want a med cruise with sea days, consider a cruise from Southampton(Uk). These have a number of sea days(mainly to get to/from the med plus another 1 or 2 to space things out). P&O cruise from Southampton year round. RCL have a ship based there during the summer months. There are others as well.

Edited by chris11256

Agreed, Med cruises are port intensive. Air fare is expensive to get to your embarkation port, and we always have a few extra days either pre-or post-cruise to get the most bang for our buck. Having said that, we did not go into our Med cruise thinking it would be relaxing. It was, indeed, the complete opposite. We would crawl into bed at night, exhausted but blissfully happy. Of course you do not have to get off the ship in any port... but... the Med and Europe in general is very, very special and honestly, I could not imagine cruising to the Med and not getting off in port and doing a tour of some sort, either ship's excursion or private tour.

I would suggest either a land vacation to Europe another time, or choose another destination with more sea days. Perhaps you might look at a repositioning cruise, or a trans Pacific or Atlantic, or to Hawaii and back from Vancouver. There are many sea days in a row on those types of cruises. :)

The typical two week Med cruise usually only has two, maybe three sea days. I like Chris's suggestion on finding one that leaves from Southampton. That adds several sea days. Of course that makes the eastern Med out of reach. Our approach in the Med has been to mix more intense port days, (Rome, Florence, Athens) with some "light" ports. By light I mean those where your not traveling inland, you are stay close, you can basically cover the port with your feet. Examples of those could be Monte Carlo, Portofino, Valletta, Canne, Greek islands. A mix makes it doable. Unfortunately if you want to see the Med via cruise, the trade off is less sea days.

Edited by KirkNC

There is no way I could cruise the Med - just not enough time . It seems like a way to just check of places on a list but never really experience them. If you want to relax on a European vacation plan a land vacation with far fewer but longer stops. JMO

We've never cruised the Mediterranean, mostly because we love relaxing days at sea. These itineraries seem to have either few, or often, no sea days. Yeah, we could always just stay on the ship in any port, but since we're paying the fees to stop, feel we m u s t g e t o f f t h e s h i p. Any advice for cruising the Med on a small- to medium-sized ship that has at least a couple of sea days?

The attraction of a Med cruise is the fact every day you end up in a different port with so much to do. No need to pack up and get on a train/airplane or bus and get to comeback to a ship relax, see a show, known nice meal etc. etc.

If that isn't what you are looking for the Med is a waste of your travel time and money, better to find an all inclusive resort or a tropic cruise, IMHO

Princess has the 14-day Mediterranean Adventurer on the Emerald Princess this summer to/from Southampton: 7 ports & 6 sea days.

Certainly not the best way to see that area if it's your first time, but a great way for repeaters (myself) or to get a taste.

The Emerald is big -- approx. 3100 passengers -- but very comfortable.

Edited by DRS/NC
more info

Does anyone know if Holland America offers currency exchange on board (USD to Euro) on their Mediterranean cruises? I would assume they do (Princess did) but want to know whether we need to take more of one currency or another with us.

Both of my Eastern Med cruises were ten days, with four of them sea days and six port days. I thought that as such a good split there a took a very similar cruise (overnight in Istanbul instead of Cairo) almost immediately.

Both were R/T out of Rome (Civit), abd it takes them a few sea days to get to the eastern area and back.

Sailing from Southampton will often offer ports which are less frequently visited, such as stops on the Atlantic coast of Spain, plus lovely Portugal.

Several times a year there will be sailings from there to Venice, which take around 18 days, and will have sea days between Spain and the Adriatic.

RCI, P&O, Princess, Cunard have regular sailings from S'ton, along with smaller lines and occasional other visiting lines.

Or you could look at sailings from further north such as Copenhagen, which might add northern France to the itinerary.