Just got back from Allure - a few thoughts

What time would you say that we need to disembark to experience shorter lines and wait times for customs?

Our experience is that the earlier you get off, the shorter the lines. So get off as early as possible to minimize your wait.

Thanks for sharing! We are sailing in late May! I appreciated your unit on the drink packages... I had been going back and forth for quite some time about if it makes sense especially since we are sailing with ur kids. Decided in the end to buy it because of the discount and to allow us to try new things. I wouldn't have thought of the champagne bar- thanks for the recommendation!

I'm excited to see mamma Mia but bummed the only night we can see it and drop the kids off at the kids club is he first two nights. He other two nights it shows overlap sign times the kids club is closed. I wish we were going to spend the first night in the ship together but it's one of my favorites all time shoes and don't want to miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our experience is that the earlier you get off, the shorter the lines. So get off as early as possible to minimize your wait.

Absolutely. I am not a morning person but I always make sure I'm off the ship before 8ish. Much past that and the various lines just grow and grow.

Thank you, everyone. Paulette, the CD was Dru Pavlov and the Activities Director was Katie (I don't recall her last name.) Both were very personable, especially Katie, and they did do the morning show together.

The activities that I really enjoyed (besides lounging poolside) were Love & Marriage Show, Quest, Belly Flop Contest and the 70's Dance Party. Even though I have seen all of these on my previous cruises, it never gets old for me and because the fellow passengers are different, it doesn't get stale. What strikes me is how terrific the crew and staff are during these performances and events. Even though they have participated multiple times, they always seem to have a good time and are not just going through the motions. You will have a great time!

Katie Turner. She is FABULOUS!

Thank you, everyone. Paulette, the CD was Dru Pavlov and the Activities Director was Katie (I don't recall her last name.) Both were very personable, especially Katie, and they did do the morning show together.

The activities that I really enjoyed (besides lounging poolside) were Love & Marriage Show, Quest, Belly Flop Contest and the 70's Dance Party. Even though I have seen all of these on my previous cruises, it never gets old for me and because the fellow passengers are different, it doesn't get stale. What strikes me is how terrific the crew and staff are during these performances and events. Even though they have participated multiple times, they always seem to have a good time and are not just going through the motions. You will have a great time!

Do you remember when the Quest game was played? Going on the Allure on Saturday and want to be sure not to miss it! One of my favorite cruise activities!

Do you remember when the Quest game was played? Going on the Allure on Saturday and want to be sure not to miss it! One of my favorite cruise activities!

Recent Allure compasses are posted in the links below in two dedicated separate threads. The Quests is usually on one of the night closest to the last night. Hopefully this will help you out.

Eastern Compasses

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335859

Western Compasses

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335818

Edited by A&L_Ont

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise on Holland America's signature cruise ship and had a HORRIBLE experience, everyone was 50+ and were so rude to staff I couldn't believe it. ...

I think you're referring to their former "signature" cruise ship, as the Koningsdam is just now on her first sailing (April 8th). It's been 50 years ( :eek: ) since I sailed HAL, and I wanted to sail this year to mark a 50th "reunion" so to speak. I had first booked on the Westerdam, but after doing a bit of research, I knew I'd rather be on their new ship - which is why we booked the Koningsdam for later this year. I suspect, at 54 then, I'll still be part of the younger group onboard - but plan on having a great time.

I do think you're more likely to have the kind of cruise experience you're looking for on the Allure - and that's where we're heading next! :)

Tom

We were also on board Allure this past week. Capt Johnny did take his Bike off in Cozumel. Saw it parked by the ship when we got off.

Do you remember the color of his bike? Was it goldish (yellow but not bright) in color and more like a cruiser than a chopper?

We thought we saw him riding it in Cozumel as well around three weeks ago. I only ask as we saw a Harley leave from the taxi pick up area, with a man who looked the Captain Johnny riding it, but he was too far away to tell for sure.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I was on the same cruise last week. We had many cruises but this was our first with RCI. It was by far our best cruise. The ship was incredible. Our only complaint is that 7 days was not enough to take in all of what Allure has to offer.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I was reading posts on my particular cruise's roll call and a poster noted that when they were logged into the Cruise Planner, our cruise on the Allure April 3-10 was being offered the Premier and Ultimate Beverage Packages at 20% discount, so I immediately purchased. From what I understand, this was not offered on all upcoming cruises, but just a few select itineraries.

Quest was the second to the last night on this cruise. It actually conflicted with one of the shows I had booked previously, but we love Quest so we skipped the other show. Always a good time!

Do you remember the color of his bike? Was it goldish (yellow but not bright) in color and more like a cruiser than a chopper?

We thought we saw him riding it in Cozumel as well around three weeks ago. I only ask as we saw a Harley leave from the taxi pick up area, with a man who looked the Captain Johnny riding it, but he was too far away to tell for sure.

This post has pictures of what are i guess his 2 bikes. We saw the yellow one if i remember correctly:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1779239&page=3

This post has pictures of what are i guess his 2 bikes. We saw the yellow one if i remember correctly:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1779239&page=3

Thanks for the link and pics. I'd say we say him on the yellow Harley in Cozumel and it would not surprise me if he was off to play golf. :)

How fast was the service in the dining room for dinner? We have the six o'clock dinner time but also a show or two at seven thirty. Hope we can get out quick enough to get to the shows.

Just tell your waiter when you sit down. They are accustomed to pacing the dinner to suit you.

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise on Holland America's signature cruise ship and had a HORRIBLE experience, everyone was 50+ and were so rude to staff I couldn't believe it. We are looking into booking a cruise with RC, but what's the age demographic like on the Allure? Being in our mid 20's do you think we would enjoy the activities ?

[sarcasm]Oh, how horrible to share a ship with someone your parents age! How did you manage to survive?[/sarcasm] :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at October 2016 cruises, and the Allure is a strong contender. Questions:

1) Are the Central Park/Boardwalk View cabins noisy? I would think the noise from the promenade area would filter right up into those cabins. What about those with balconies overlooking the promenade?

2) The OP mentioned booking the shows - is there an extra charge for the shows or is this just to reserve a seat?

Any other tips for Allure are appreciated - this would be the largest ship we've ever cruised on by far. Almost overwhelming! Thanks in advance!

Looking at October 2016 cruises, and the Allure is a strong contender. Questions:

1) Are the Central Park/Boardwalk View cabins noisy? I would think the noise from the promenade area would filter right up into those cabins. What about those with balconies overlooking the promenade?

2) The OP mentioned booking the shows - is there an extra charge for the shows or is this just to reserve a seat?

Any other tips for Allure are appreciated - this would be the largest ship we've ever cruised on by far. Almost overwhelming! Thanks in advance!

The View (no balcony) staterooms are pretty well soundproofed. The Promenade View staterooms get some noise during parades and dance parties, but not much otherwise.

No extra charge to reserve shows, and you are not reserving a specific seat, just the right to enter the venue as soon as it opens.

Edited by clarea

We had a balcony in Central Park on the 12th deck....loved it! It was not noisy at all, although you could hear the band playing on the pool deck some times, but we rather enjoyed it. You couldn't hear a thing when the balcony door was closed.

There is not an extra charge for booking shows online, and with a ship as big as Allure, it really is a must. Please also take the time to "sign" your waivers for all activities online. It saves a lot of time!

Have a wonderful cruise!