Just put down my deposit have a question.

fastman86

So I placed my deposit for an October 30th cruise for the Jewel and when I look at the receipt it has the insurance on it. I did not want to purchase the insurance from Norwegian as I booked with my Chase Sapphire Preferred which has several protection for trip cancellation and interruption. Do I need to call them to cancel it ASAP or as long as it is off before the final payment it is no big deal....

I also planned on buying some medical insurance as I have had family need it in the past but did not get it (ouch is all i have to say).

Did you book on the NCL website? Or over the phone with NCL? Or with a TA?

No matter how you book, they will always try to sell you insurance. In my experience, NCL is not sneaky about this if you book directly with them. If you accidentally selected the insurance option, just call them to ask to have it taken off. I would do this within the 10 day "right to examine" period to be on the safe side.

If you went through a TA, some of them are very aggressive about selling insurance, and they will add it automatically and make you decline it in writing.

These are questions I would address with NCL..... too many "experts" on here that will have no idea the correct answer and it may cost you.

That is very true lol. I will call them tomorrow and will get it figure it out for sure.

Did you book on the NCL website? Or over the phone with NCL? Or with a TA?

No matter how you book, they will always try to sell you insurance. In my experience, NCL is not sneaky about this if you book directly with them. If you accidentally selected the insurance option, just call them to ask to have it taken off. I would do this within the 10 day "right to examine" period to be on the safe side.

If you went through a TA, some of them are very aggressive about selling insurance, and they will add it automatically and make you decline it in writing.

It was directly through NCL on the phone. We never discussed insurance it just showed up on the invoice. However I actually record all the call on my cellphone (all legal in my state and NCL does say they record on their end) so I do have proof too, but it doesn't sound like it will come to that.

It was directly through NCL on the phone. We never discussed insurance it just showed up on the invoice. However I actually record all the call on my cellphone (all legal in my state and NCL does say they record on their end) so I do have proof too, but it doesn't sound like it will come to that.

Call back sooner than final payment and get it off the books. That way you know it is gone.

So I placed my deposit for an October 30th cruise for the Jewel and when I look at the receipt it has the insurance on it. I did not want to purchase the insurance from Norwegian as I booked with my Chase Sapphire Preferred which has several protection for trip cancellation and interruption. Do I need to call them to cancel it ASAP or as long as it is off before the final payment it is no big deal....

I also planned on buying some medical insurance as I have had family need it in the past but did not get it (ouch is all i have to say).

Yes is the short answer to yoru question. Call whoever you booked with immediately and cancel the insurance. If you don't do it soon you may find out that there was a window to complete the cancellation and you missed. The end result is that you may be stuck with something that you don't want or need.

This is what happened the last time that I booked with NCL (so this is not something that is new)- it was added even though it had not been discussed. To me that is sneaky, they should ask if you want it or not. I called the next day and it was removed readily enough so it was only a minor inconvenience.

Edited by sparks1093

The cost of the insurance is usually on our confirmation which we receive from our PCC as well, however, he does mention it and we don't pay for it until we make final payment.

If we say we don't need it, it's removed immediately. You don't get charged for the coverage just because it's added to your reservation, you only get charged if you agree to take it when making final payment.

I agree, that is sneaky. The reason I said above that this did not happen in my experience, is because I never book entirely over the phone. Unless you have some special booking requirements that can only be handled by an NCL rep or TA, I think it is preferable to create your booking online and place a hold on it. Actually you should do this even if you do everything over the phone from the start. You will receive a confirmation with all the booking details that you can take your time and look over before making the deposit. There are lots of threads like this one where people only discover the details of their booking in writing after they have already paid (and of course something turns out to be wrong, and sometimes it is too late to fix it).

With the online booking engine, there is a place to purchase or decline insurance, with no hard sell or sneaky tactics. I've never had them bring up the issue again or add it back in without asking.

Yes you can cancel your insurance anytime up till final payment.

These are questions I would address with NCL..... too many "experts" on here that will have no idea the correct answer and it may cost you.

Snarky much? Why do you think people come to these boards? For your information people on cruise critic know more than the customer service reps at ncl most of the time

I agree, that is sneaky. The reason I said above that this did not happen in my experience, is because I never book entirely over the phone. Unless you have some special booking requirements that can only be handled by an NCL rep or TA, I think it is preferable to create your booking online and place a hold on it. Actually you should do this even if you do everything over the phone from the start. You will receive a confirmation with all the booking details that you can take your time and look over before making the deposit. There are lots of threads like this one where people only discover the details of their booking in writing after they have already paid (and of course something turns out to be wrong, and sometimes it is too late to fix it).

With the online booking engine, there is a place to purchase or decline insurance, with no hard sell or sneaky tactics. I've never had them bring up the issue again or add it back in without asking.

We do the same thing! We set it up entirely the way we want it, place a hold, then call our PCC to complete the purchase.

OP, just call and cancel it. I don't see the purpose in waiting around to do it, whether or not you can.

In the past we've always needed two cabins so it was easier to do it over the phone since the PCC could see what cabins were available across categories. Now that it's just DW and I cruising I can easily use the online booking engine to book the entire thing.

Snarky much? Why do you think people come to these boards? For your information people on cruise critic know more than the customer service reps at ncl most of the time

Not snarky when you prove me 100% right............. with "experts" like you who "know more than the customer service reps", YOU would have cost the OP a full refund because the policy must be cancelled within 10 days of receiving the invoice!

drops mic

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BookSafe-Travel-Protection-Plan_112514.pdf

Edited by esm54687

I mentioned the 10 days above, but the terms don't say explicitly that the policy becomes non-refundable after that. After all, what if you cancel the entire booking, penalty-free, before final payment? The insurance coverage never started, and the trip no longer exists. Will they continue to hound you to pay for the insurance because the policy cannot be cancelled? Or will they keep part of your deposit as payment for the insurance?

Edited by hawkeyetlse

So called in and it was taken off with no problem. Figured I would update everyone. I am a little upset that it was done, but at least I am through when checking my documents. Now to buy regular travel medical insurance for me and the GF.

Not snarky when you prove me 100% right............. with "experts" like you who "know more than the customer service reps", YOU would have cost the OP a full refund because the policy must be cancelled within 10 days of receiving the invoice!

drops mic

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BookSafe-Travel-Protection-Plan_112514.pdf

Couldn't you have just posted the link in your first reply and have been done with it?;)

So called in and it was taken off with no problem. Figured I would update everyone. I am a little upset that it was done, but at least I am through when checking my documents. Now to buy regular travel medical insurance for me and the GF.
Sounds good! Thanks for the update. It is disappointing to see the company resort to this, but as I mentioned earlier, pushing insurance is an annoyance across the travel industry. Because as useful as insurance can be once in a while for the traveler, its main purpose is and always will be to make money for the insurance provider…

Couldn't you have just posted the link in your first reply and have been done with it?;)

I didn't pursue the link until I read I was being "snarky"... my original post suggested the OP give NCL a quick phone call as they would be the one's with the answer.

The "snarky" and "final payment answer" drove me to search.... the "final payment" made no logical or business sense as it would allow a customer to be completely protected for a period of time (could be a year) and then cancel the insurance at the last minute with the insurance company assuming all the risk.

I would not venture to comment on what happens if you cancel the trip and what happens to the insurance..... it may be like a life insurance policy you had for 30 years and cancel it... you don't get the premiums back for the years you were covered. I would ask that of NCL.

:D:):D

Edited by esm54687

The "snarky" and "final payment answer" drove me to search.... the "final payment" made no logical or business sense as it would allow a customer to be completely protected for a period of time (could be a year) and then cancel the insurance at the last minute with the insurance company assuming all the risk.

What risk? There are zero cancellation penalties until final payment.

NCL's policy (like any sensible insurance policy) provides no coverage until you actually pay for the insurance. For most people, this would be at final payment (again, because there is nothing to cover before that). Sure, you could make independent, non-refundable arrangements for flights and hotels before that, but NCL's pre-trip cancellation policy does not cover those; it only covers your cruise fare and add-ons (air/land) that are arranged through NCL.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I guess it must be different here, because the insurance we are offered, yes the Book-Safe is not charged and does not come into effect until we make final payment. There would be nothing for us to claim either, until after final payment... until then we'd receive our deposit back so, if you could, explain how this insurance would work when it only applies to the cruise we have booked.

I've read the Ten Day Right To Examine . It appears to me that it's saying after the cruise/vacation has begun...

If you are not satisfied for any reason, you may cancel the travel

insurance portion of your coverage within 10 days of your receipt of this document. Your premium will be refunded, provided there has been no incurred covered expense and you have not departed on your Covered Trip. When so returned, the coverage is void from the beginning. Request a refund in writing by providing your contact information as well as a copy of your plan description to our authorized agent, Aon Affinity, 300 Jericho Quadrangle, P.O. Box 9022, Jericho, NY 11753.

Not trying to start a flaming argument here, just wondering if it really is different for us. Previously we had a cruise booked with some friends and the person organizing it was a TA and she had to contact us to inform us we couldn't get the same insurance that she'd been able to get for everyone else. At the time, I thought it was just because it was a US insurance company only but maybe there's a difference.