Koningsdam Public Rooms

InTheWASide

Hi Amsterdam traveller, we are sailing on koningsdam in June from Amsterdam and will be in the city for 3 days beforehand, can you recommend any local eateries (casual places) that will let us sample local cuisine a bit like the Dutch cafe onboard?

Thanks

James

We did 3 days in Holland after our cruise and Italy adventure. Went to a place called Cafe Thijsen. Great live music and amazing bitterballen

Thank you so much for the comprehensive tour. I love the ship and can hardly wait for November! Did you have a photo of the Neptune Lounge?

These photos helped make up my mind on keeping my November cruise or swapping it for an Alaskan cruise on a different ship.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive tour. I love the ship and can hardly wait for November! Did you have a photo of the Neptune Lounge?

These photos helped make up my mind on keeping my November cruise or swapping it for an Alaskan cruise on a different ship.

Unfortunately no. They were still working on it while I was onboard so we weren't able to poke our heads in

I want to echo all the others who have passed along their thanks for these photos as well as the stateroom photos. With all of this plus the many questions you've answered about Koningsdam and the great info you provided while you were onboard you've done more to promote the ship than HAL has! I've been disappointed in their info about the ship and have relied on your postings a great deal. I really feel like I know the ship now having seen all of these photos and this has greatly added to our excitement about being on the Christening Cruise.

Many thanks!

I want to echo all the others who have passed along their thanks for these photos as well as the stateroom photos. With all of this plus the many questions you've answered about Koningsdam and the great info you provided while you were onboard you've done more to promote the ship than HAL has! I've been disappointed in their info about the ship and have relied on your postings a great deal. I really feel like I know the ship now having seen all of these photos and this has greatly added to our excitement about being on the Christening Cruise.

Many thanks!

You're welcome, and thanks for the comments (that goes to everyone... not going to bombard the thread with lots of simple "Thank you" replies) :)

• Like 1

Beautiful photos! beautiful ship!

I can see the similarities with Celebrity S class as others have mentioned and I recall that interiors were designed by same person.

Thanks for taking time to post your wonderful photos. The food pics are amazing!

Do you know the cost of the elite beverage package being offered?

Beautiful photos! beautiful ship!

I can see the similarities with Celebrity S class as others have mentioned and I recall that interiors were designed by same person.

Thanks for taking time to post your wonderful photos. The food pics are amazing!

Do you know the cost of the elite beverage package being offered?

I don't. Seems to be brand new. Perhaps calling ship services can get an answer for that?

Hi Amsterdam traveller, we are sailing on koningsdam in June from Amsterdam and will be in the city for 3 days beforehand, can you recommend any local eateries (casual places) that will let us sample local cuisine a bit like the Dutch cafe onboard?

The already mentioned café Thijssen is indeed nice and they serve all kinds of snacks.

Furthermore, you might like Restaurant Moeders (Rozengracht) or Rosereijn (Haarlemmerdijk) or Cafe Schiller (Rembrandtplein) for some Dutch food.

You might also sample some Indonesian food, for example at Kantjil and the Tijger (Spuistraat) or Cafe Kadijk (Kadijksplein).

Dutch Fries from Vlemminx (Voetboogstraat: no seating) has the best fries in Amsterdam.

Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam and on Koningsdam!

Edited by Amsterdam_traveller

Hiya, as I was browsing through the photos on my large monitor at work (as opposed to viewing them on my phone) I thought of a few questions:

Is that an automated hand-washing station at the entrance to the Lido Market? It looks like you stick your hands in the holes and let it do its thing.

I only just caught on that the waterfall element at the Lido Pool featured in the computer fly-through wasn't actually built. Was there any kind of running water element at the Lido Pool?

It looks like there are several loungers on the upper level of the Lido Pool that are in complete shade and are separated by sheer curtains. I take it these are not cabanas and are for general use? If so, I'm going to have to make it a priority to secure on on sea days.

Finally, did you notice any two-top tables in any of the restaurants? I cannot see a single one in any of your photos.

And just a couple things I thought were exciting:

It looks like they have TRX suspension class equipment installed. I've taken a class (on Norwegian Pearl), and it was a killer. Nice to have another exercise option.

It looks like they did a really good job of creating some separation between the bar area in Tamarind and the rest of the restaurant. I could see myself actually having a drink there without feeling compelled to dine there.

Thanks again for the awesome photos. :)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Hiya, as I was browsing through the photos on my large monitor at work (as opposed to viewing them on my phone) I thought of a few questions:

Is that an automated hand-washing station at the entrance to the Lido Market? It looks like you stick your hands in the holes and let it do its thing.

Yes it is. First time I've been on a ship that had one. They were kind of weird, but cool. (One person thought it was a bottle chiller and shoved a bottle of wine in there. Shh! :D

I only just caught on that the waterfall element at the Lido Pool featured in the computer fly-through wasn't actually built. Was there any kind of running water element at the Lido Pool?

Wow, good eyes! I hadn't even realized that. Didn't see anything but it may not have been up and running yet.

It looks like there are several loungers on the upper level of the Lido Pool that are in complete shade and are separated by sheer curtains. I take it these are not cabanas and are for general use? If so, I'm going to have to make it a priority to secure on on sea days.

Yes, general use. In the shade, by the huge floor to ceiling windows and they even have reading lights all along those loungers.

Finally, did you notice any two-top tables in any of the restaurants? I cannot see a single one in any of your photos.

MDR yes, Sel de Mar saw a couple. The pic I have of the place setting was a 2 top. Tamarind yes, we sat at one. Culinary Arts Center is all 4 or more that we noticed. Pinnacle Grill I never even ended up walking into... totally forgot. I would expect at least a couple of them though.

And just a couple things I thought were exciting:

It looks like they have TRX suspension class equipment installed. I've taken a class (on Norwegian Pearl), and it was a killer. Nice to have another exercise option.

That's exactly what it was.

It looks like they did a really good job of creating some separation between the bar area in Tamarind and the rest of the restaurant. I could see myself actually having a drink there without feeling compelled to dine there.

It's a really cool setup! Definitely

Thanks again for the awesome photos. :)

Mine in red above.

You're welcome! :)

Brad - do I recall reading from one of your postings that you are booked again on the K'dam?

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on your second go around after the crew is comfortable in all their positions and the routine is set.

dave

Not yet, but I want that sailing to come sooner rather than later. So spoiled now with BB King and Billboard Onboard among other things, it would be really hard to go back now...

some of those spaces are quite nice (dining room is beautiful)

but

man. most of those chairs look REALLY uncomfortable.

Compared to a lot of other ships in the Hal fleet even the funky looking ones were usually super comfortable. Any in particular you'd be worried about? If my butt was in it I can give you a report lol

Compared to a lot of other ships in the Hal fleet even the funky looking ones were usually super comfortable. Any in particular you'd be worried about? If my butt was in it I can give you a report lol

haha. the modern outdoor chairs at the beginning of the post in particular. but a lot of the modern chairs have really short backs - don't look too comfortable. i like a nice club chair :) something i can sink into.