Getaway 2017-Baltic Capitals, input wanted

asubaru

Can anyone find which Stockholm port the Getaway is docking in on July 25,2017? I don't see it listed on the Nynashamn schedule for July but also don't see it on the Stockholm schedule.

Hi. I live in Sweden and the Getaway will be docked at Frihamnen. Its a port near city of Stockholm. You just walk 20 min to a train (underground train) and then i takets about 10 min to the city/old town in Stockholm.

Hi. But thats is not a problem for you. A lot of Cruiseship have daily Stockholm at their homeport. The train to the city goes every 10-15 min so thats no problem. But Stocholm is a big city with many Tourist so thats is not a problem either. You take the "redline" train to the city. Pay with visa/Mastercard at the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're going on the June 13th, trip out of Warnemunde. We're flying in 4 days before so we will have some time to tour around Berlin and will leave the cruise when we arrive in Copenhagen and spend 2 days there. It's our first cruise and I hope it goes well.

• 1 month later...
My family is also going to be on that same cruise and am looking for any input for excursions!!! I know it will take a lot of research but was hoping someone had some insightful suggestions.

Most people like the Wasamuseum and Skansen can also be interesting for some, google and see what you think.

It's also possible to take a boat to some of the closer islands, depending on how long you are in port.

ttnc4me

I called NCL a couple of days ago regarding which pier we will dock in Copenhagen...I was told Quay 330. You might want to call NCL to verify this. We are on the June 13th from Warnemunde cruise.

ttnc4me

I called NCL a couple of days ago regarding which pier we will dock in Copenhagen...I was told Quay 330. You might want to call NCL to verify this. We are on the June 13th from Warnemunde cruise.

I honestly wouldn't rely on NCL for this.

However, the info they give looks about right. NCL use Oceankaj, which is Quays 330-334. It will be one of them.

I am going to read every word on this thread. We are cruising on the Getaway on September 19. We have never been to this part of the world and are very excited.

We are going to fly into Copenhagen two days ahead of time and stay a day after the cruise. It appears as if there is plenty to do on our own-no tours scheduled. I am currently researching St. Petersburg tours: Tours for Locals, Alla and SPB. I understand that one definitely needs a professional tour in Russia.

I would probably have chosen a smaller ship to cruise to the Baltics, but since my son will be working on board, this is the one we chose! We are going to have a great time!

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone find which Stockholm port the Getaway is docking in on July 25,2017? I don't see it listed on the Nynashamn schedule for July but also don't see it on the Stockholm schedule.

The Stockholm site shows it docking in Stockholm along with two Princess ships that day.

I sailed this itinerary almost a year ago on the Star. You can find my review with pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366032

Copenhagen: We stayed closer to the port on the way out: loved the Adina Apartments. Location was great for seeing the Little Mermaid, but would be a haul (45 min to an hour by foot) to see Tivoli gardens. But since the trains are easy to use, you could make it work. Hotel has a great grocery store and a really really good bakery near by. Apartment had a kitchen and a laundry room! This would be a great place to stay if you are staying before your cruise.

We stayed closer to the train station in they city center on the way home: Cabinn Hotel. Unless you want to relive your hostel days, I do not recommend it. Room was crazy small. Breakfast that came with the room was ok, but loud and crowded.

Copenhagen is easy to get around, and people stop and offer you help if you look at a map. We walked from Tivoli to Nyhavn along the waterfront and back through town andloved the walk.

We took the train from Copenhagen up to Elsinore and we loved the castle grounds and the maritime museum there.

Warnemunde: if you have a chance, take time to walk through this lovely little port city. We didn’t try to do Berlin, we stayed up on the coast, and had a great day. Did an NCL tour in the morning and had plenty of time to see Warnemunde in the afternoon.

Tallinn: I used Rick Steves book and did my own walking tour, loved it. City is charming, scenic and very easy to walk through. One of my favorite days of the whole cruise.

St. Petersburg: If you are going to the Hermitage to see art, remember that the impressionists are all in an administrative looking building across the courtyard from the Hermitage itself. Make sure you checkout the subways. Be on the boat if they bring the Russian Folkloric troop on, they were excellent. The boat tour is a great way to see a lot of territory and get the lay of the land. Pushkin’s village, outside the city, is definitely worth a trip to see Peterhof and Catherine’s palace. We booked a private tour and guide and were extremely happy except for where they took us to buy souvenirs: and extremely over-priced shop that had stuff marked up to the gills.

Helsinki: do the Hop On Hop Off tour bus first all the way around to figure out what appeals. Then on the second circuit, hop off and on at will. This city was easy to navigate, and had a great central market to peruse crafts and stuff at.

Stockholm: we did a tour here, so I can’t say too much about doing it on your own. My niece did the Hop On Hop Off but it was a bit more expensive than Helsinki's and because the city is a cluster of islands,a little harder to get the lay of the land. But, it does stop at all the same places my tour took me, so it is a better buy than the tour. Do make sure you see the city center and are there when they do the change of the guard parade.

Add-ons: we took advantage of Norwegian Airlines extremely low fares and added a trip to Oslo on the end our cruise. Walked on top of the Opera House in Oslo and took pictures of the view. We did the Norway in a Nutshell tour and absolutely loved it. Love it.

Have fun planning!

Edited by FitchburgWIFamily
correct formatting

Looking at the Oct 7th cruise from Copenhagen. Looks like we are docking in Nynashamn. Oh well....that will be okay. We will probably do the long day to Berlin because this is a multi-generational trip and I know that Grandpa and the Grandkids are all war buffs.... it will make for a great experience I am sure.

Hi

We did a Baltic cruise a couple of years back. We used SPB for a couple of tours. A small group tour to Berlin which worked well. It was a long day but we did get around the sights. We has a private tour with them in st Petersburg which was fantastic. We were able to get into the sights often through the back door and often had rooms in both the summer palace and the winter palace to ourselves. We could work at our pace and if there were areas in the hermitage that we wanted to visit that was arrange also we were able to speed past areas we were not so interested in. The guide and driver on the whole were flexible re timings etc however when we asked to go to a local vodka bar that was met with raised eyebrows and did not happen. We got the impression they were concerned for our safety as when we went on the metro and down the Nevsky they were keen we left cameras , bags etc with the driver. That said we would highly recommend SPB. Tallin,Gadansk,Helsinki and Stockholm we did on our own very easily. Do get up very early arriving in Stockholm as the passage through the islands is amazing. We went to the vasa museum which was good but just along the road is the ABBA museum and that was such fun and a bit of light relief after a week of history. Hope you enjoy as much as we did

if you sail from copenhagen, give yourself a few days precruise. we stayed at the Hotel Bethel, right on Nyhavn. It was a gorgeous hotel and much less than places like the Admiral. we took teh train there from teh airport.

i recommend TJ Travel for your excursions in St. Petersburg. They also can do excursions for you in any of hte ports (we also used them in Tallin). they were wonderful, adn we saw much, much more than those who did ship tours.

• 1 month later...
So the Getaway has some sailings that port at Nynashamn and others that say Stockholm. So even though it specifies Stockholm it might not actually be Stockholm or not go through the archipelago? Is there anyway to find out where the Getaway will actually dock?

Hi,

Taking the July 18 cruise and it specifies stockholm archipelago, on a 1 day timeline.

We are doing this cruise on July 18. We chose ALLA for tours to Berlin, St. Petersburg, Tallin, and a tour of Copenhagen (taking our luggage too) post cruise. We plan to do hop on hop off bus on our own in Helsinki and in Stockholm find our own transportation into the city and go to the VASA, Viking museum and ABBA museum and just walk to the old town. Our cruise still states docking in Stockholm and cruising the archipelago. We hope that does not change, but if it does we would probably then switch to a guided tour. We are a family with 17 year old daughter traveling and looking forward to this trip. We did the Spirit Grand Med last summer and it was a great trip with NCL and we have faith this will be too as the trip is what you make of it.

Thanks.... These are the type of things I am looking for and will take note.

I anticipate spending the 2 days in St. Petersburg at the State Hermitage Museum, but certainly will research if that would optimize my visit there.

Are you taking a tour? You know you will need a visa in St. Petersburg unless you take a tour.

Berlin is not that bad. Yes, it is a long drive, but you see the scenery and stop at interesting rest stops. We slept a good portion of the way.

Copenhagen is a great city to visit. It is expensive, but you only need to stay a day or two.

I sailed this itinerary almost a year ago on the Star. You can find my review with pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366032

Copenhagen: We stayed closer to the port on the way out: loved the Adina Apartments. Location was great for seeing the Little Mermaid, but would be a haul (45 min to an hour by foot) to see Tivoli gardens. But since the trains are easy to use, you could make it work. Hotel has a great grocery store and a really really good bakery near by. Apartment had a kitchen and a laundry room! This would be a great place to stay if you are staying before your cruise.

We stayed closer to the train station in they city center on the way home: Cabinn Hotel. Unless you want to relive your hostel days, I do not recommend it. Room was crazy small. Breakfast that came with the room was ok, but loud and crowded.

Copenhagen is easy to get around, and people stop and offer you help if you look at a map. We walked from Tivoli to Nyhavn along the waterfront and back through town andloved the walk.

We took the train from Copenhagen up to Elsinore and we loved the castle grounds and the maritime museum there.

Warnemunde: if you have a chance, take time to walk through this lovely little port city. We didn’t try to do Berlin, we stayed up on the coast, and had a great day. Did an NCL tour in the morning and had plenty of time to see Warnemunde in the afternoon.

Tallinn: I used Rick Steves book and did my own walking tour, loved it. City is charming, scenic and very easy to walk through. One of my favorite days of the whole cruise.

St. Petersburg: If you are going to the Hermitage to see art, remember that the impressionists are all in an administrative looking building across the courtyard from the Hermitage itself. Make sure you checkout the subways. Be on the boat if they bring the Russian Folkloric troop on, they were excellent. The boat tour is a great way to see a lot of territory and get the lay of the land. Pushkin’s village, outside the city, is definitely worth a trip to see Peterhof and Catherine’s palace. We booked a private tour and guide and were extremely happy except for where they took us to buy souvenirs: and extremely over-priced shop that had stuff marked up to the gills.

Helsinki: do the Hop On Hop Off tour bus first all the way around to figure out what appeals. Then on the second circuit, hop off and on at will. This city was easy to navigate, and had a great central market to peruse crafts and stuff at.

Stockholm: we did a tour here, so I can’t say too much about doing it on your own. My niece did the Hop On Hop Off but it was a bit more expensive than Helsinki's and because the city is a cluster of islands,a little harder to get the lay of the land. But, it does stop at all the same places my tour took me, so it is a better buy than the tour. Do make sure you see the city center and are there when they do the change of the guard parade.

Add-ons: we took advantage of Norwegian Airlines extremely low fares and added a trip to Oslo on the end our cruise. Walked on top of the Opera House in Oslo and took pictures of the view. We did the Norway in a Nutshell tour and absolutely loved it. Love it.

Have fun planning!

When we visited the Hermitage in 2011, we saw a lot of impressionists in the main building. Have they moved them?