Getaway 2017-Baltic Capitals, input wanted

asubaru

Well since it's the second time I was told that , I will take it. What is your source to the contrary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The only source I have is the one I quoted.

My source about the competence of the NCL agents are the endless reports on here about what people have been told by them. As a rule, if an NCL phone agent says it then it's incorrect.

As an example, if what they say was correct then this whole conversation would be irrelevant due to NCL only having one ship in Europe.

I have not been to Berlin; visited central and western areas both trips. I do want to sail with NCL, although I don't doubt there are "better" itineraries/lines.

It looks like for these sailings that you can get on the ship in either Copenhagen or Warnemunde. So, for example, you can sail from May 16-25 (Copenhagen - Copenhagen) or from May 17-26 (Warenmunde-Warnemunde). You visit both, it is just a question of where you start and finish. It doesn't matter much if you're not doing a pre or post cruise stay, but if you are, you can decide where you want to do this.

Since you haven't been to Berlin, I'd recommend spending a couple days there pre or post cruise. Then you can still see Copenhagen as a port call.

The only source I have is the one I quoted.

My source about the competence of the NCL agents are the endless reports on here about what people have been told by them. As a rule, if an NCL phone agent says it then it's incorrect.

As an example, if what they say was correct then this whole conversation would be irrelevant due to NCL only having one ship in Europe.

If you are on the June 4th sailing, we can make a wager and the loser buys the winner a shot of premium local vodka.

It looks like for these sailings that you can get on the ship in either Copenhagen or Warnemunde. So, for example, you can sail from May 16-25 (Copenhagen - Copenhagen) or from May 17-26 (Warenmunde-Warnemunde). You visit both, it is just a question of where you start and finish. It doesn't matter much if you're not doing a pre or post cruise stay, but if you are, you can decide where you want to do this.

Since you haven't been to Berlin, I'd recommend spending a couple days there pre or post cruise. Then you can still see Copenhagen as a port call.

That is what we are doing as well, embarking in Warnemunde and spending a few days in Berlin post cruise. Looking forward to it!

If you are on the June 4th sailing, we can make a wager and the loser buys the winner a shot of premium local vodka.

No, I'm not on that cruise, and wouldn't want a wager as I personally have no view on it. I am literally only commenting because of your reference to the NCL agent. History shows that it is helpful to point out their unreliability.

You may well be correct. My point is not that I think you are wrong. As I said right at the start, I would trust your other research more than the agent. You seem to have taken from that that I'm disagreeing with you for some reason.

My group booked with Alla for the two days in St P and it was great. We had early entry to the Hermitage and walked right past hundreds of people in line with their little cruise line tour stickers on their jackets. :D Alla (and many of the other tour operators) offered packages for several port cities on the itinerary at a discounted rate and those in our group who booked with them in the other cities said they were happy with the tours.

Have fun planning!

We use Alla too (we're tour people) - the groups were small, we booked the 5 port tour and had the same people on the tours all week - a few would change here and there - if they booked a 3 or 4 day - they all wished they had booked the 5 day at the end and alot of us still keep in touch.

St. Petersburg and Tallinn were our favorites - we did go into Berlin, it was okay, somewhat of a mess because they were hosting a public viewing of one of the FIFA Wold Cup Soccer Championship games - expecting a million people and a lot of roads were blocked off. I'd stay closer to Rostock if we ever do that trip again.

Off topic, two funny things - 1. We came out of the Hermitage and there was an instrumental band playing "Stars and Stripes Forever." 2. We left Copenhagen on the 4th of July to return home and the customs officer at the airport told us "Happy 4th of July!" - we didn't get that from the U.S. Customs agent when we landed in Austin. Sure didn't expect it in Copenhagen.:D

Have a wonderful trip!!

• 1 month later...
Thanks.... These are the type of things I am looking for and will take note.

I anticipate spending the 2 days in St. Petersburg at the State Hermitage Museum, but certainly will research if that would optimize my visit there.

I hadn't thought about size of the ship; I tend to favor the newer/larger ships. I'm not really opposed to trying a smaller one, especially since it's a port intensive cruise. I just googled how far where they stop in Sweden (Gothenburg) is from Stockholm and it's 5 hours. That was an eyeopener. There is a variation that docks in Nynasham which is 45 minutes away from Stockholm. My head hurts! <g> Lots of things to consider and I agree about research.

You make a good point about May.

I really appreciate your comments!

How did you find out where the ship docks? I've been searching for this as I too am considering this trip.

How did you find out where the ship docks? I've been searching for this as I too am considering this trip.

The information is all on the NCL website. All of the Summer 2017 Getaway cruises show up as one itinerary but if you click on the individual dates then it gives more information.

There are three variations to the Swedish port, from memory. Stockholm (which I take to mean a central dock and is best), Nynashamn (which is a long way out of Stockholm and doesn't give you the sail in to Stockholm) and Gothenburg (a completely different city).

Just be warned though. One poster above says that they believe the 4th June sailing (from Warnemunde, 3rd June from Copenhagen) docks in Stockholm whilst the website says Nynashamn. I would completely ignore any reports that have come from NCL agents as they are very unreliable, but the poster does mention previous information so perhaps they have also got it from elsewhere. It may indicate that the NCL website isn't accurate but unfortunately they didn't give any further information as to their sources.

If you do the cruise out of Copenhagen, I don't recommend to go to Berlin.

Not that I don't like Berlin but it's just not worth it to drive there 3 hours (one way)

There are so many other nice cities/Options you can do when in Warnemuende.

I would recommend to visit Rostock (about 25minutes away)

I've been researching this today. When we are arriving in Stockholm on September first 2017, the itinerary lists Stockholm, but I checked the Nynasham port website and the Getaway is scheduled to dock there. I'll be cancelling. That's a deal breaker.

NCL is doing a bad job here. In Germay i get the new catalog and the ports between website and catolog are on some dates different. Compare to the us page there are some differences too. But i think they changed more dates to Stockholm as when they released the dates.

I've been researching this today. When we are arriving in Stockholm on September first 2017, the itinerary lists Stockholm, but I checked the Nynasham port website and the Getaway is scheduled to dock there. I'll be cancelling. That's a deal breaker.

Should have said September 8, 2017

Should have said September 8, 2017

8. Sept 2017 Nynäshamn (Stockholm), Schweden 08:00 17:00

the german homepage says this, the catalog says stockholm.

maybe it is like a suprise where you will stop

8. Sept 2017 Nynäshamn (Stockholm), Schweden 08:00 17:00

the german homepage says this, the catalog says stockholm.

maybe it is like a suprise where you will stop

Isn't this terrible? Like the poster above the agent of the phone told me Frinhamnen. I have found the same as what you've written. I was so pleased with this booking yesterday. It has really taken the wind out of my sails. Now I'm looking at HAL on similar dates but will probably end up with RCCL in May.

Spoke to ncl again. A supervisor assured me its Frihamnen. Cruise mapper has Nynasham. The German site has Nynasham. Who do I believe? Should I cancel? How do I get firm info? Have emailed the port of Nynasham. Will report back.

I am the OP. First, I appreciate everyone's input.

I decided to pass on this cruise altogether. It was so time consuming trying to get valid info from NCL. One of the dates I was interested in, had the ship leaving from Berlin and Copenhagen the same day. YIKES! I was told so many different stories as far as definitive ports. I was told, more than once, NCL hadn't decided some things and things could change. The same day port thing was the clincher.....NCL rep said they were waiting to see how much interest there was on each date? LOL

I tried to find ports (specific city) that didn't take hours to travel to what I wanted to see. The info received was contradictory or non-existent.

I didn't feel comfortable booking anything. Good luck to all who are going. Hopefully, they will have it all sorted out by the time you sail.

I am the OP. First, I appreciate everyone's input.

I decided to pass on this cruise altogether. It was so time consuming trying to get valid info from NCL. One of the dates I was interested in, had the ship leaving from Berlin and Copenhagen the same day. YIKES! I was told so many different stories as far as definitive ports. I was told, more than once, NCL hadn't decided some things and things could change. The same day port thing was the clincher.....NCL rep said they were waiting to see how much interest there was on each date? LOL

I tried to find ports (specific city) that didn't take hours to travel to what I wanted to see. The info received was contradictory or non-existent.

I didn't feel comfortable booking anything. Good luck to all who are going. Hopefully, they will have it all sorted out by the time you sail.

I just cancelled too. Spent much of the day trying to get a straight story from ncl. If you are still interested in the Baltic--which is amazing by the way--Royal Caribbean is doing a great ten day out of Copenhagen next year. On the Serenade. We are now booked on that one for next year. Our price was close to that of ncl's offer. The Vision is doing a twelve night. Anyway good luck. We did this cruise back in 2009 and the cities visited are some of my favourites. It is a wonderful part of the world. I will never forget the Swedish Archepilageo. Gorgeous.

Later today I will be reserving a cabin on the June 30th (2017) itinerary out of Copenhagen.

There was some very good info on this thread, thank you. I have already done a lot of research, and will be doing a lot more. I also have the added pleasure of having to also research what will be good for a tween (12) and teen (17) on a Baltic itinerary. [i know, not a ton of kids on this itinerary, but like our last Med cruise, there should be enough for my kids to form some friendships while on board the ship.] I am looking forward to this, and sailing on NCL for the first time.

Ohhhh interesting! We have the 9/28/17 sailing booked (best timing for us) and were disappointed because it was supposed to go to Nynashamn instead of Stockholm - so I just checked the itinerary and cruise timetable for Oct 5 and now it's supposed to be in Stockholm after all! Based on what I've read about difficulty in some ships sailing into Stockholm, though, I'm not going to count on it when the time comes....

Edited by hun

Ohhhh interesting! We have the 9/28/17 sailing booked (best timing for us) and were disappointed because it was supposed to go to Nynashamn instead of Stockholm - so I just checked the itinerary and cruise timetable for Oct 5 and now it's supposed to be in Stockholm after all! Based on what I've read about difficulty in some ships sailing into Stockholm, though, I'm not going to count on it when the time comes....

Hi Hun. I took a look at the itinerary and not only does it now say Stockholm but it also now says Stockholm Archipelago for a full day preceding Stockholm! The 28th works best for us and I too am excited, but won't get hopes up just in case. Thanks for the heads up on the roll call.

Edited by littlelulu01

I just booked this same one the other night myself. Other than St Petersburg I don't really care where we go as Russia is one of those bucket list places I want to visit before I die. :D