Voom Surf vs Regular Internet Pkg...Differences?

^^^ right, that confirms what was reported earlier - the onboard price is $3 more per day than pre-cruise prices. So for a Diamond, the break even point is 7 days - longer than that buy per cruise - shorter than that buy on board and use the D $20 discount.

Are they only selling the unlimited packages? Whether the ship has Voom or not? I am platinum and am trying to decide if I should prepay for the unlimited package to get the discount. I don't need that much time but not sure if there is another option once I board. BTW, Jewel this fall. Thanks, Dena

when purchasing the zoom surf package for 1, is that using only one devise at a time, or are you limited to using only one devise for the full extent of the trip. In other words, am I limited to using my ipad only, or may I use my iPhone at other times?

Are they only selling the unlimited packages? Whether the ship has Voom or not? I am platinum and am trying to decide if I should prepay for the unlimited package to get the discount. I don't need that much time but not sure if there is another option once I board. BTW, Jewel this fall. Thanks, Dena

They do not sell "minutes" anymore. The minimum you can buy is one 24-hour period of unlimited internet.

I just called the C&A desk again to find out about the new Voom Packages. As Diamond Plus we get 2 free days each or a $79 and change discount on any package. So since we are both Diamond Plus we get 2 discounts of $79....by my math, we should be able to get the Voom Surf, or the Voom Surf and Stream at a nice discount. I'm still not sure which package we need, either the Voom Surf or the Surf & Stream. Guess I'll find out onboard, or just get the Surf & Stream. I just tested my communications apps on my phone. I have an older iPhone 5S. I put it in Airplane mode, and connected to my home WIFI only. While in WIFI mode I could communicate via Apple's Facetime, and Facebook Messanger, I was successful via both Voice and Viedo. I could also use 'Whatsapp' to communicate via voice or text.

MY REAL QUESTION IS...CAN WE TRUST RCCL....WILL VOOM REALLY BE INSTALLED BY THIS COMING WEEKEND ON ALL SHIPS? FROM WHAT C&A SAYS>>>THE ANSWER IS YES>>>BUT ARE THEY TO BE BELIEVED??

when purchasing the zoom surf package for 1, is that using only one devise at a time, or are you limited to using only one devise for the full extent of the trip. In other words, am I limited to using my ipad only, or may I use my iPhone at other times?

You can use any one device at one time - you can use as many devices as you want, but just one of them can be connected at one time.

my real question is...can we trust rccl....will voom really be installed by this coming weekend on all ships? From what c&a says>>>the answer is yes>>>but are they to be believed??

No. No.

Anyone heard what level of "free" Wifi a Diamond member will get choosing the free one 24 hr day option?

I'm guessing if RCCL has a choice of two, they'd give out the cheaper surf version.

Anyone heard what level of "free" Wifi a Diamond member will get choosing the free one 24 hr day option?

I'm guessing if RCCL has a choice of two, they'd give out the cheaper surf version.

That would be my guess too, but no reports back yet.

We have also not heard what level is provided free to D+, Pinnacle, and Star & Sky class suite guests on Oasis and Quantum class.

Edited by clarea

48cb9a75a8dc7eee8aa50d38ca81c6f2.jpg56a2415d9ed0718018552f2f5cb80803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

so it is cheaper to buy in advance......I purhcased the surf and stream package for $12.59 pp per day for my cruise that sails tomorrow. I doubled check in my order history that it was surf and steam

so it is cheaper to buy in advance......I purhcased the surf and stream package for $12.59 pp per day for my cruise that sails tomorrow. I doubled check in my order history that it was surf and steam

You mean 12.99? The current promo pre cruise is $3 off the SURF package ($10 vs $13) and $5 off the SURF+STREAM package ($13 vs. $18).

Am I assuming too much that the D discount will eventually be $13 and $18 depending on which package you get (and double those amounts for D+)? Or the discount will stay at $20 for D and $40 for D+ if you buy only one day?

On the Liberty - D+ receive a coupon for $39.98.

For surf only it is $19.99 per 24 hour period and $27.99 for surf & stream.

To purchase the surf only package for the entire cruise the price is $90.93 and with D+ discount is $50.95. The package is prorated each day at $12.99/day. In other words D+ can no longer purchase a 5 day package for free - it will cost you $12.99. However, can purchase a 4 day package for free.

At the Internet Cafe computer there is an option to purchase a one hour package for $15.

By the way, I have the surf only and it does seem faster, but can not down load You Tube. Have been knocked off twice so far, but pretty fast for email and just browsing. In Cozumel yesterday on my balcony and kept being knocked off by the hotel stronger networks.

Carla

Edited by golfpccc

You mean 12.99? The current promo pre cruise is $3 off the SURF package ($10 vs $13) and $5 off the SURF+STREAM package ($13 vs. $18).

Am I assuming too much that the D discount will eventually be $13 and $18 depending on which package you get (and double those amounts for D+)? Or the discount will stay at $20 for D and $40 for D+ if you buy only one day?

I am on a 9 night so $113.31 divided by 9 = $12.59 a day - I am only GOLD for RCCL so no other discount

$113.31 USD

*Service Charge $0.00 USD

Cancel

SUBTOTAL$113.31USD

Edited by tlreze

Onboard ovation now and to answer a previous question the one day Diamond coupon buys the basic wifi and not the voom version

We opted for the basic package for the week as its really just to surf the web a bit and pick up emails but it really is pretty slow. it reminds me of the wifi we had on Radiance a few months ago. We haven't been able to download a couple of things and gave up trying to watch a YouTube video as it was constantly buffering.

If you need it for anything other than basic stuff I would choose the voom option

Onboard ovation now and to answer a previous question the one day Diamond coupon buys the basic wifi and not the voom version

We opted for the basic package for the week as its really just to surf the web a bit and pick up emails but it really is pretty slow. it reminds me of the wifi we had on Radiance a few months ago. We haven't been able to download a couple of things and gave up trying to watch a YouTube video as it was constantly buffering.

If you need it for anything other than basic stuff I would choose the voom option

That's likely because you are still too far north - once you get south of Spain, speed and performance should improve - even on SURF only.

Thanks for the info.

Did you notice if they offered a reduced cost upgrade option for the guests with the coupon?

That's likely because you are still too far north - once you get south of Spain, speed and performance should improve - even on SURF only.

That's good to know. Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Did you notice if they offered a reduced cost upgrade option for the guests with the coupon?

I assume so since there is a discount off any of the many packages on offer. But it's difficult to tell since I'm actually D+ so I can get 2 days basic package free (i.e. 2 X $20) or I can get 1 day voom free - which is priced at $27.99

Edited by Bobal

OP here. Well since I've virtually only got 18 days before my sailing, I think I'll do the Voom for 1 device. The price with the 30% discount is coming up to $63.63 for the week, and that may be enough for me. Keeping it simple.

We are on Jewel in July and I am considering one of the internet packages but am admittedly a little confused about a couple of points. Would we need the VoomSurf + Stream for using Skype? And how well does it work at sea?

Also, I have read that Jewel of the Seas only offers "hotspots" around the ship. I was hoping this is old info as it has been in dry dock recently and would expect to find the wifi available throughout the ship now. Anybody know what the situation is? Thanks.

Hi cruiser, just to let you know Jewel did not get Voom. We were on her just after Yard. The system now is much better than the old one she had before but about 50% speed of voom. We had Voom on allure in Jan and super fast. Bob

bd0d23be63e82a401af241f1fe8486fa.jpg

Day 1 on ovation, however I have just FaceTime with DH who is in the car driving home so he only has 3G. ( yes he pulled over...) so I would say Surf was sufficient for my needs.

Edited by little britain