Carrying Food On The Ship

Please forgive my ignorance, I know this is going to be a weird question but here goes anyway...Would it be frowned upon to carry a jar of pickles on the Freedom? I have terrible leg/foot cramps at night and the only thing that seems to help is drinking some pickle juice. I would like to pack a jar if possible but don't even want to bother with it if it's not ok to do so. I would like to put it in my carry on to be sure the jar doesn't break...wouldn't want to go around for a week smelling like a giant pickle..lol

My son used to get bad cramps playing sports in high school and college; we found a product at our local grocery store in the aisle with the Gatorade, etc. It was filtered pickle juice -- without the pickles! -- in small plastic bottles, probably 8 ounces each, cost about $1 each. That might be easier than a jar of pickles ... unless you want to eat the pickles too! :D

Thank you guys for the quick replies!

It's definitely not unusual for people to bring packaged foods on, but normally the things I hear about are snack foods like M&Ms or some other favorite candy, or nuts / trail mix / crackers / chips. A jar of pickles is a bit on the unusual side, but it should be okay.

I also suffer from charlie horse cramps at night. Something else to try is Tums the chewable chalky ones. Shocked me the first time but they work. I also take a powder stuff called Calm I get at the health food store both are much easier to pack than a jar of pickles. Mine are a magnesium and calcium deficiency.

They have pickles on board so if you like eating them you could always ask for some extra pickles and juice.

If pickle juice is the only thing that works for you bring it worst case is you get called to the naughty room.

Hi,

https://www.lifestyle-labs.com/products/pharma-nord-bio-quinone-co-enzyme-q10-super-30-mg-60-capsules?gclid=CjwKEAjw9Zu5BRCS_OuVibujhQ0SJAD7t4Kr0bnKhk_vwr8fiTPJtIfTt3wMBB3B1XkNIpSoMBrS9xoC10Tw_wcB#fo_c=608&fo_k=1943f8ec7fc8ef746136bddd547ad28b&fo_s=gplauk&fo_oid=1361

I take these tablets for muscle cramps and I wouldn't be able to walk if i stopped taking them. They do take a short time to get into your system but do not have any side effects no matter how many you take.

Much easier than taking liquids on board.

Pete

Edited by Enforcer

My son used to get bad cramps playing sports in high school and college; we found a product at our local grocery store in the aisle with the Gatorade, etc. It was filtered pickle juice -- without the pickles! -- in small plastic bottles, probably 8 ounces each, cost about $1 each. That might be easier than a jar of pickles ... unless you want to eat the pickles too! :D

Thank you so much for this info! I'll definitely look for these! I had a nurse tell me about drinking pickle juice for cramps one time and it really does work...takes effect quickly too! If I can just get the juice without the pickles that would be great!!

I also suffer from charlie horse cramps at night. Something else to try is Tums the chewable chalky ones. Shocked me the first time but they work. I also take a powder stuff called Calm I get at the health food store both are much easier to pack than a jar of pickles. Mine are a magnesium and calcium deficiency.

They have pickles on board so if you like eating them you could always ask for some extra pickles and juice.

If pickle juice is the only thing that works for you bring it worst case is you get called to the naughty room.

This is worth a try too! I don't get them every night but as sure as I don't have something to take I'll get a bad one!

A spoon of plain yellow mustard is all it takes. About 1 minute to work for me.

My mother in law also suffers from leg cramps and her doctor told her to put a bar of soap in her bed sheets, near her feet and this will alleviate her cramps! I know, this sounds weird, but she says it helps!!!

Hi,

https://www.lifestyle-labs.com/products/pharma-nord-bio-quinone-co-enzyme-q10-super-30-mg-60-capsules?gclid=CjwKEAjw9Zu5BRCS_OuVibujhQ0SJAD7t4Kr0bnKhk_vwr8fiTPJtIfTt3wMBB3B1XkNIpSoMBrS9xoC10Tw_wcB#fo_c=608&fo_k=1943f8ec7fc8ef746136bddd547ad28b&fo_s=gplauk&fo_oid=1361

I take these tablets for muscle cramps and I wouldn't be able to walk if i stopped taking them. They do take a short time to get into your system but do not have any side effects no matter how many you take.

Much easier than taking liquids on board.

Pete

I'll have to check these out too! Some of these cramps are no joke!! Your big toe is not supposed to stand straight up! lol

A spoon of plain yellow mustard is all it takes. About 1 minute to work for me.

I have heard of this one but haven't tried it. They say, like in pickle juice, it has something to do with the salt and vinegar. I just don't know that I can stomach downing mustard but if a cramp is bad enough I'll do anything to get rid of it!

My mother in law also suffers from leg cramps and her doctor told her to put a bar of soap in her bed sheets, near her feet and this will alleviate her cramps! I know, this sounds weird, but she says it helps!!!

At least I shouldn't get called to the naughty room for a bar of soap..lol

I have heard of this one but haven't tried it. They say, like in pickle juice, it has something to do with the salt and vinegar. I just don't know that I can stomach downing mustard but if a cramp is bad enough I'll do anything to get rid of it!

Not the greatest tasting stuff without a hot dog, but I just chase it with some water. Small price to pay for the cramp relief.

In addition to my salty snacks (ie chips and really good crackers) and sweet snacks (ie cookies and chocolates) I bring a jar of jalapeño stuffed olives. Nice and spicy. Pull out the jalapeño, get blue cheese from buffet and make fresh, spicy blue cheese stuffed olives for our martinis. Never had a problem bringing the olives on board.

In addition to my salty snacks (ie chips and really good crackers) and sweet snacks (ie cookies and chocolates) I bring a jar of jalapeño stuffed olives. Nice and spicy. Pull out the jalapeño, get blue cheese from buffet and make fresh, spicy blue cheese stuffed olives for our martinis. Never had a problem bringing the olives on board.

This is good to know! I know I would feel like an idiot for carrying a jar of pickles on board but in the event that a cramp comes on I don't care what people would think. Those things can hurt pretty badly at times and when they hit I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of it! Thank you!

You can bring your pickles, if you want. They do have vinegar onboard...isn't that the main ingredient in pickle juice?

I believe so. From what I've heard it has something to do with the vinegar and the salt content.

I frequently share your pain. How much pickel juice do you drink before bedtime? 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, ???? Have bar of soap on DH side of bed, maybe should add one to my side. Was told by "old wife" any soap but Ivory, she didn't know why. Dill, sweet, bread/butter, does it matter?