Star Class and Royal Genie tipping

Hello! With Star Class - in Cococay - i was told by a RC agent over the phone that the cabana was no extra charge. Can someone please confirm if that’s correct? When we last went to Labadee, (we were Sky Class though) and it was almost $450 (we did the over the water cabana, and that’s what I want again!). Our cruise is in March, so hopefully they are back to functional by then (from the hurricane).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find this hard to believe.

Your response makes no sense regarding my question...thanks though...

Sent from my iPhone

My post makes perfect sense though when you think about how unlikely it is for RCI to give a Star Class guest a cabana at no additional charge. I'm also not sure why Cococay would be any different from labadee.. I had to pay full freight for my cabana back in August.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hello! With Star Class - in Cococay - i was told by a RC agent over the phone that the cabana was no extra charge. Can someone please confirm if that’s correct? When we last went to Labadee, (we were Sky Class though) and it was almost $450 (we did the over the water cabana, and that’s what I want again!). Our cruise is in March, so hopefully they are back to functional by then (from the hurricane).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anthem stop in cococay? None of the oasis class ships do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My post makes perfect sense though when you think about how unlikely it is for RCI to give a Star Class guest a cabana at no additional charge. I'm also not sure why Cococay would be any different from labadee.. I had to pay full freight for my cabana back in August.

I second constable145, as we have sailed Star Class to Labadee 3 times (Aug 16, March 17 and Sept 17) and Cabanas are not free. Whatever the agent told you, they were wrong.

For the person asking about CocoCay, I’m guessing you are sailing there on Anthem. There is an over the water bar there but I have yet to read about or see pics of an over the water Cabanas there.

Does anthem stop in cococay? None of the oasis class ships do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m guessing it must. The person that is asking is going there in March and the pier will not be completed by then. There will be no Oasis Class ships if there is no pier.

I’m guessing it must. The person that is asking is going there in March and the pier will not be completed by then. There will be no Oasis Class ships if there is no pier.
Anthem does. I'm on her in Feb and we stop there.

I suspect once the pier is built Oasis class ships will call on Cococay.

Anthem does. I'm on her in Feb and we stop there.

I suspect once the pier is built Oasis class ships will call on Cococay.

I agree 100%. Once the pier is done Oasis Class will sail there and there will be many Cabanas at that point. :)

For the person on Anthem in Star Class - the stop is CoCoCay; HOWEVER, the cabanas are NOT free to Star Class. And, as a matter of fact, last March, I asked the genie to get one for me and was advised I had to have booked it myself prior to cruising. The Anthem, apparently, operates a bit different from how it works at Labadee. I had been originally advised the genie would reserve it for me and charge my account (my TA put OBC on to cover the rental for me).

I was very disappointed since I hadn't booked one (but, well, someone was smiling since we never stopped there anyway that day LOL - sorry, that was mean.).

I just checked over the weekend and I think I missed out on them for this March. So I'll probably just stay aboard and enjoy a, hopefully, pretty empty ship.

How many of you that have no wish to use the genie will ever book Star class?

So far I haven't booked Star Class but the inclusion of a Genie was for me at one point a negative mainly due to the perception that they performed a butler type of role which I didn't want or need.

On my last cruise, we were in Sky class and I witnessed what the Genies actually did with their guests. They seem to deliver a VIP enhanced experience. More of a personal concierge than a butler type of service, making things happen, reserving/guarding seats at shows etc. A dedicated person working towards making your cruise experience pain free and comfortable as possible is an extra service worth paying for both in terms of gratuities and the price of the room.

So in my case the misconception put me off and perhaps that is the case for others. I should add that I have experienced butler service on Cunard and Celebrity. In general they did very little to enhance my cruise experience. The RCL offering seems a lot different.

On the matter of gratuities, if I demand a lot and they do a lot then that clearly has a bearing on how much I pay. As a matter of principle I never pay in advance, always at the end. I let my conscience drive ultimately how much I add on top of what I consider reasonable as an additional gesture of appreciation.

For the person on Anthem in Star Class - the stop is CoCoCay; HOWEVER, the cabanas are NOT free to Star Class. And, as a matter of fact, last March, I asked the genie to get one for me and was advised I had to have booked it myself prior to cruising. The Anthem, apparently, operates a bit different from how it works at Labadee. I had been originally advised the genie would reserve it for me and charge my account (my TA put OBC on to cover the rental for me).

I have not been to CocoCay but from what you have said it makes me think that when the pier is built and Oasis Class ships start sailing there that changes will be made to enhance the Sky and Star Class experiences. I suspect it to mirror the Labadee experience. Separate beach, separate buffet and Cabanas that are booked on board with first pick going to Star, then Sky and down the totem pole.

As you eluded to, if you knew you had to book it in advance you would have.

I have not been to CocoCay but from what you have said it makes me think that when the pier is built and Oasis Class ships start sailing there that changes will be made to enhance the Sky and Star Class experiences. I suspect it to mirror the Labadee experience. Separate beach, separate buffet and Cabanas that are booked on board with first pick going to Star, then Sky and down the totem pole.

As you eluded to, if you knew you had to book it in advance you would have.

It's been a number of years since I was at CocoCay; however, you are correct in that I would have booked if I had known (one of those Star Class quirks from ship-to-ship ;)).

This time, I've already pre-convinced myself that the tendering process, etc. is not worth the effort and I'll enjoy the ship that day. :D