Star Class and Royal Genie tipping

Not meaning to bash, but I can't imagine having the Genie and NOT utilizing the Perks. We will be traveling with 82 year old mother and her 92 year old husband. We are so looking forward to the Genie helping us with EVERYTHING. I hope that the those that don't use their Genie are traveling on the same dates as we are. More for us. :)

I like how you think

I think some people would book these suites just to have the use of the genie

We certainly did. We are booked on the Oasis for next February, and specifically chose our cabins based on having Genie service. A few years ago, we sailed on the NCL Gem in a butler suite, and though the ship itself was fairly ordinary, the butler service made it by far our most memorable cruise (including a prior cruise in the Oasis Royal Loft). We were thrilled when RCCL, our favorite cruise line, said they were going to introduce Royal Genies.

For the posters who said they would not feel comfortable or know what to do with a genie/butler, I can totally understand that feeling, as it is exactly how I felt prior to our cruise on the Gem. At the time, we chose the cabins for reasons other than the butler service (private hot tub, three bedrooms plus spacious living area, etc). But what we didn't realize is that it wasn't our job to figure out what the butler could or would do. These folks are total professionals, used to anticipating, not just catering to your needs. Things we never would have thought of asking for or ask to have done, just got suggested, or even done without asking, totally unobtrusively. And it all felt perfectly appropriate and normal. It was no more "uncomfortable" than having a waiter serve you dinner in the dining room rather than fixing your own plate.

On tipping, I might suggest checking the NCL boards, since they have a much longer history with butler services. Even so, you will find a wide range of views on the topic. We wound up tipping our butler $100 per person in the cabin for our 9-day cruise, but you could certainly find posts suggesting that a higher or lower amount would have been appropriate.

Edited by Lizcourt

I think some people would book these suites just to have the use of the genie

We always booked these suites prior to the Genie. Now I am awaiting to see if it makes a difference for us, but as others posted it does sound pretty good.

The genies work for guest services FYI. My folks had one on allure last week (we were next door). They tipped 350 I think for 3 people. They service 3 cabins each so that keeps them busy I'm sure. They do things like organizing but also things like bring you your favorite coffee in the morning or help serve you chops dinner in your cabin.

Not meaning to bash, but I can't imagine having the Genie and NOT utilizing the Perks. We will be traveling with 82 year old mother and her 92 year old husband. We are so looking forward to the Genie helping us with EVERYTHING. I hope that the those that don't use their Genie are traveling on the same dates as we are. More for us. :)

I also like the way you think!

Enjoy your cruise!

That would be the room steward, waiters, etc. The Genie is

not part of the included gratuities.

I'm not disagreeing with you. However how do you truly know how much goes to whom.? How many people in these suites really use the MDR? so how much actually goes to those waiters? When you paid for gratuities it made no mentioned of gratuities for CK staff or SL workers. I wonder if the inclusive gratuities will actually cover these hard working people who are the ones truly serving the majority of the suite guests.? Does anyone actually know how much they raised the cruise fare by to include the gratuities? I highly doubt it is by the exact amount of the gratuity.

When we were on Allure we tipped our servers in CK and SL extra because there was no mention of any of our gratuities going to these people, yet they were the ones that looked after us all cruise.

Edit I checked difference between star class and sky class for 3rd person cost to get idea on how much was added for gratuities. The difference was $67 no where near enough to cover the gratuities if you were adding.

Edited by Spurschick

We are planning on tipping our Genie $100 per person in the cabin. There will be 5 of us on Oasis in August in the 2 bedroom Aqua Suite. We also give a tip at the beginning of the cruise to our steward. So we will give our Genie a similar amount and go from there. Depending on service, we plan to give above and beyond, as I used to work for tips and realize how important it is to recognize good service.

We are planning on tipping our Genie $100 per person in the cabin. There will be 5 of us on Oasis in August in the 2 bedroom Aqua Suite. We also give a tip at the beginning of the cruise to our steward. So we will give our Genie a similar amount and go from there. Depending on service, we plan to give above and beyond, as I used to work for tips and realize how important it is to recognize good service.

Being around my folks a lot (who had a genie last week) since we were right next door I think you will find that amount about right. They provide a level of service that is well above and beyond what has ever been provided by Royal in the past. We are now all booked in two bedroom aqua suite for later in the year. That didn't take long.

As I was told by rc when I inquired through Facebook, Coastal kitchen staff are paid through your Mdr tips. That is why they ask your room number There also seems not to be an assistant, so maybe they get their portion as well. We normally tip over and above to both Mdr and coastal kitchen and speciality.

Genies are part of guest services, not house keeping. GS people have officer status and are salaried like the C. I would guess most will have a college degree and would not be in the job for just tips.

http://www.royalcareersatsea.com/jobs/apply/RCL12172015GEN

Certainly not just for tips, but I doubt they'd have a lot of takers were there not that incentive to "go the extra mile and put on a smile" without the potential for 20-30+ grand a year in gravy!

Tom

$100 per person sounds about right for this level. I'm amazed and happy about the action on this topic. This seems like service so few people would use but many of you are using and plan on booking this type of stateroom. Gives me hope that our economy is coming back with a vengeance.

I don't see myself ever needing the help of a genie. Maybe to go save me a chair by the pool? That actually might be worth it....lol But so glad they offer this level of concierge service.

Certainly not just for tips, but I doubt they'd have a lot of takers were there not that incentive to "go the extra mile and put on a smile" without the potential for 20-30+ grand a year in gravy!

Tom

If folks are doing per person, the big money is in the aqua suites. Seems to me that most of the deck 17 star cabins probably only have two people. Maybe a third on occasion.

If folks are doing per person, the big money is in the aqua suites. Seems to me that most of the deck 17 star cabins probably only have two people. Maybe a third on occasion.

RLS can take 6, OLS and GLS can all hold at least 5 and the SLS can hold 4. Still some chance to earn big $. That being said it comes from the generosity of the guest. My FIL though he gave a good tip of $20 on top of auto grats for his CLS. It is all in perspective.

John you are right though, as typically for us it is either 3 or 2 guests in the SLS.

LOL we did too! But then we found a Star Class suite for less than 1k above the most expensive Sky Class suite and snapped it up for 6 of us!

Jan 29, 2017. 4 person price for sky aqua suite is $8130. 4 person price for Star aqua suite is $10530. I really can't see sharing a cabin though.

So it's $600 pp for a huge deck, private bedroom, unlimited food choices, free drinks, genie, and whatever else

Edited by John&LaLa

Jan 29, 2017. 4 person price for sky aqua suite is $8130. 4 person price for Star aqua suite is $10530. I really can't see sharing a cabin though.

We've shared in the past, when our sons were younger. Now they're 24 and 28, and we'll share only under certain circumstances - they must have their own room and shower. The RLS fits the bill there (but I'll bet only our younger son will want to come along). For our Solstice cruise in August, on which they're both coming), we have a penthouse. It has a second full bath, but lacks a second bedroom, so... an extra cabin it is. Unfortunately, that means that they won't be able to enjoy Michael's Club nor Luminae (or the unlimited specialty dining.. free internet...premium beverage pkg).... not only that, it's an additional $2,500 oop compared to having them as 3rd/4th darn it!

Tom

RLS can take 6, OLS and GLS can all hold at least 5 and the SLS can hold 4. Still some chance to earn big $. That being said it comes from the generosity of the guest. My FIL though he gave a good tip of $20 on top of auto grats for his CLS. It is all in perspective.

John you are right though, as typically for us it is either 3 or 2 guests in the SLS.

...and then there's me...only 2 of us in a 2 BR ATS...so you just never know !

We've shared in the past, when our sons were younger. Now they're 24 and 28, and we'll share only under certain circumstances - they must have their own room and shower. The RLS fits the bill there (but I'll bet only our younger son will want to come along). For our Solstice cruise in August, on which they're both coming), we have a penthouse. It has a second full bath, but lacks a second bedroom, so... an extra cabin it is. Unfortunately, that means that they won't be able to enjoy Michael's Club nor Luminae (or the unlimited specialty dining.. free internet...premium beverage pkg).... not only that, it's an additional $2,500 oop compared to having them as 3rd/4th darn it!

Tom

For two couples, would the RLS work better than a 2 bedroom aqua suite?

So it's $600 pp for a huge deck, private bedroom, unlimited food choices, free drinks, genie, and whatever else

We got the Star Aqua (2 bed room) for 6 for $11k thereabout in Dec 2017. 2 of the 6 are a toddler and a preschooler but that makes no difference to the rates.

We (three) got off the Allure Aqua suite 9330. Our Genie Susan was terrific and we tipped 350.00. We gave 100. the first day 100. after a big meal served in our suite for six and 150.00 the last day. We sailed May 1st to the 8th. Penny