Cruising with 17 month old

tori0417

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Bermuda on the 29th on the summit. We are avid cruisers and go on celebrity every year and love it. However, this will be our first cruise with our son who is 17 months old. Anyone have any tips? We usually have late seating dinner but are entertaining select dining ( we have never tried it before). Thanks in advance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did Summit out of San Juan with our 18 month old. We were just going to get away / not doing any excursions or anything - really a dry run for longer / other cruises.

We did early dinning which was fine.

Here are a couple of recommendations

1) umbrella stroller - much easier to navigate ship with

2) Fabric Shower curtain and magnetic hooks (can get at Target for <$10) to put around pack n' play for nap time / evenings

3) Back Pack with Teether - Allows little one to walk around with some freedom - also helpful to carry one or two diapers rather than the entire diaper bag

4) Disposable diaper bags - Armnhammer - these are great in general as well

5) BE FLEXIBLE - realize that your normal at home schedule probably will not be the same on the ship - just role with it

6) Tot time in play area is nice change of pace (usually a 45 minute window mid-late afternoon)

7) Bath Time - we were with my folks who had a suite so we did bath time in their tub - if you don't have this as an option - most suggest a small inflatable tub

Thanks for the tips! Yes, definitely planning on being flexible and we are also going for a hanging out kind of vacation. What is tot time?

I would choose first seating traditional. Less formal and most families eat then from our experience. Your servers will have everything set up and if you have preferences in food choices, tableware, table/chair arrangements etc, it won't need to be negotiated every night.

If you need to make a change, use the buffet.

In select dining many cruisers aren't going to want to have a child at their table especially if eating during the super busy 7-8 hour.

Too I'd check on babysitter availability a few nights to give yourselves time alone. Will help keep you all on even footing.;)

I hope you have a fantastic trip!!!

In addition to what others listed, I would add:

1.swim floaties or inflatable ring with the seat in the middle - perfect for use at beach in Bermuda

2. Swim diapers

3. Baby sun tan lotion

4. Special sleep item your child uses at home (stuffed animal, blanket, etc)

5. Sun hat

6. Children's music loaded to your phone - great to calm during the day or at night

I would choose first seating traditional. Less formal and most families eat then from our experience. Your servers will have everything set up and if you have preferences in food choices, tableware, table/chair arrangements etc, it won't need to be negotiated every night.

If you need to make a change, use the buffet.

In select dining many cruisers aren't going to want to have a child at their table especially if eating during the super busy 7-8 hour.

Agree completely.

The Tot time is in the kids club usually for about 45 minutes where you can bring your child and they can play with some of the toys - you have to stay with them

I didn't realize that with select dining you had to sit with others. I thought you could get a table for just your family. I have to agree then, that if I was on a cruise, I wouldn't want to sit with toddlers, but just because when I am out for dinner, especially on vacation, it's not the experience I'm looking for. Now if I was fortunate enough to have grandchildren....!

<snip> In select dining many cruisers aren't going to want to have a child at their table especially if eating during the super busy 7-8 hour.<snip>

Not sure what enadj means - while it is an option, one certainly does not have to share a table with Select dining. The wait may be a bit longer for a table for 3 during the busy times, but it is possible to dine with just your family.

Edited by MarKay525

In Select dining you can request a table of what ever table size you desire. Want to share a table - no problems. Want a table for 3 - no problems. I agree - on vacation I would not chose to share a table with a toddler or children of any age. With Select - that is our choice. Hope you have an awesome cruise!

Edited by Jane2357

Oh good, I'm happy we can request. After reading this I did put a call into my travel agent and she is setting a reservation time for select dining while trying to see if she can get us into early seating.

Yes, I am prepared to pay full gratuities and I would certainly do so anyway. I am lucky that my son is very well behaved the majority of the time, however with that being said, the gratuity is still well deserved in all aspects of the vacation. And hey, no judgement here; before we had our son we weren't thrilled with sitting with kids or other people for they matter. To each their own on vacation. But wanting to travel with him, we definitely want to make sure we are prepared so it's enjoyable for everyone (including other passengers! Lol)

I didn't mean to confuse you regarding table size for select dining. Yes you certainly can request a table for four . But you might need to wait longer during that busy 90 minutes or so. We found requesting a small table in early traditional the way to go. The servers made friends with our daughter ( a few years older), had her favorite foods always at hand and really made the meal go smoothly.

If your agent doesn't come thru, head to the dining room when you board ( time will be in the daily paper) and see the maitre d. He will work to make it all happen.

There are merits for both Select and Early. I wouldn't try the late seating unless it is your toddler's normal habit to eat that late.

With select you can always call ahead earlier in the day to "reserve" a time slot so you don't have to wait in line. You should be able to request a small table.

In either case, once you meet waiters who are to your liking, request to be seated in their area for the rest of the cruise. Most of the wait staff are terrific about remembering your child and making sure he has something right away (applesauce, chocolate milk, crackers) or will coordinate a rush order from the kids menu so the parents can try and enjoy the normal pace of the MDR.

Otherwise, pack'n'play and a quality umbrella stroller are two tips that I would second.

Have a great trip!

You or your husband should go down first and preorder the meal for the family (check the menus ahead of time). Then the second person and child arrives about 15 min later when the food is on the table. Less waiting! Also - ask for a table near the entrance in case you need to get up and stretch your legs between courses. Usually few people want these tables. Prearrange with your server to get your dessert to go and enjoy later in the room when it's the kiddos bedtime. In my experience, sometime between 15 and 18 Months there is a shift in a kid who used to sit quietly at a table but suddenly just wants to run! It lasts about 6 months and then they are back to learning table manners. We had the shift happen mid - vacation one time. Good luck!