How to test for true Voom.

I'm a unix guy and I said it was the network. I'm also the backup network guy so I'm not going to fight with myself. It really was the network, though more specifically an OTV issue. Cisco advised us to change the ARP timeout to be less than the CAM timeout. So far no more OTV problems.

It is NEVER the network. :D:D:D

Interesting info. I wonder if the same sat antennas have the ability to switch between the O3b sats and the geosync sats?

I am not sure if they are using Ka and or Ku for there bands. The dish that they use could be used for both if they are configured for dual band (if needed). Some ships may need a new gimbal system to be used with low-Earth Orbit satellites. They will need to switch between satellites as the satellite go out of range.

I am not sure if they are using Ka and or Ku for there bands. The dish that they use could be used for both if they are configured for dual band (if needed). Some ships may need a new gimbal system to be used with low-Earth Orbit satellites. They will need to switch between satellites as the satellite go out of range.

That's what I thought too, that the O3b sats would require faster movement that might be beyond what the geosync sat antennas were capable of.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Keeping the systems separate and using one for a rollover for when the signal from low-orbit goes out makes sense. Same way that you'd get more then one provider for connectivity out of a data center. Ya want it to be a good fallback.

Of course that's easy to say without actually seeing how practical it is in practice.

I am currently on Navigator.

Sunday night I signed in with the code provided and the internet worked somewhat.

Monday and Tuesday nothing. The message I got was "wireless connections is turned off not connected".

Today I wanted to see if I could download some pictures from my laptop to my blog, and I was able to do it, but not at any better speed than what I had on Vision last October.

Now in my cabin and took care of a couple of business items successfully, so will see how it goes from here. We don't disembark until July 16 so I will have plenty of opportunities to see if it is really an improvement, or just a claim.

More than one I am guessing. (but not the OP) :)

Well, everyone knows the best way to test an internet connection is to.....:rolleyes:

<begin hijack alert>

Did someone mention Tracer T ???:D:D:D

</end hijack alert>

Edited by ClassicalSax

Got off the Liberty a few weeks ago. When they dry docked in February they were SUPPOSED to get VOOM. THEY DID NOT install it. I spoke with a knowledgable crew member and he said that there was no explanation as to why they did not install the VOOM, but they did say that it would be installed at a later date. However, they were not sharing any information on the date as of a few weeks ago.

I am currently on Navigator.....

I was on last week (Caribbean before TA) and these were the numbers on midship deck 7:

.22 Mbps down

.05 Mbps up

oddly, Tmo wifi calling worked most of the time even with those terrible numbers.

At one point I saw the ceiling opened up and thought they might be running cable or putting up new WAPs but turns out they were replacing water pipes...:(

I would expect you still have more of the same on your TA.

Edited by ClassicalSax

I'm a unix guy and I said it was the network. I'm also the backup network guy so I'm not going to fight with myself. It really was the network, though more specifically an OTV issue. Cisco advised us to change the ARP timeout to be less than the CAM timeout. So far no more OTV problems.

It is NEVER the network. :D:D:D

It's always DNS in my experience... :rolleyes:

I just today had another meeting with the IT Manager (3 stripe, high level) to talk about IPSec VPN being blocked. He said to his knowledge VPN was not blocked, so I used to my iPad Pro to prove its failure. He took down the information and will get back to me. I ask once again if the Liberty is going to get O3b in the future and he said "no". If anyone cruising the Liberty is expecting true Voom let me say it's not happening. I also asked if the Indy was getting Voom he was under the impression it's not.

I think we could say that "Voom" is not a technology, platform, or protocol but merely a brand name for what boils down to a wi-fi product they are selling. The brand name "Voom" initially covered the low orbit connections via O3b, but it seems now RCLL is extending the brand name over the rest of their newly created tiered wi-fi products a la surf and surf/stream packages. Perhaps we need a new name for the "true Voom" connection? :D

So far the discussion has focused on latency, measured by the ping results. Its not great (compared to land based connections), and for "chatty" connections (lots of back and forth) the latency is noticeable.

But what about the bandwidth when on the ship's public internet access?

Is RCL's internet access considered medium latency / low bandwidth, or medium latency / high bandwidth?

"I dunno, its working now...musta been a network blip" ;)

I think we could say that "Voom" is not a technology, platform, or protocol but merely a brand name for what boils down to a wi-fi product they are selling. The brand name "Voom" initially covered the low orbit connections via O3b, but it seems now RCLL is extending the brand name over the rest of their newly created tiered wi-fi products a la surf and surf/stream packages. Perhaps we need a new name for the "true Voom" connection? :D

I think "true Voom" would work. Everything else should be called "Voom lite". These are very distinct terms.

Dana and Sculley of the X-files would tell you the truth is out there and will be uncovered here on cruisecritic. RCL should get in front of this topic and own up to the true offerings.

Edited by serialcruiser48

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Keeping the systems separate and using one for a rollover for when the signal from low-orbit goes out makes sense. Same way that you'd get more then one provider for connectivity out of a data center. Ya want it to be a good fallback.

Of course that's easy to say without actually seeing how practical it is in practice.

Sorry I should have said medium earth orbit satellites not low earth orbit satellites. A dual dish system would of course work better. I would guess that the gatway changes depending which on is closest to the satellite at that time. So when switching the satellite you could be also switching the gateway. The more satellites there are the more likely the same gateways is used.

I just today had another meeting with the IT Manager (3 stripe, high level) to talk about IPSec VPN being blocked. He said to his knowledge VPN was not blocked, so I used to my iPad Pro to prove its failure. He took down the information and will get back to me. I ask once again if the Liberty is going to get O3b in the future and he said "no". If anyone cruising the Liberty is expecting true Voom let me say it's not happening. I also asked if the Indy was getting Voom he was under the impression it's not.

He's definitely incorrect about Indy - three new antennas were installed above the sky bar not long before leaving for the transatlantic to Southampton (hotel director revealed this!) in readiness and it was activated for the start of the t/a. Consistently getting over 20mbs downloads and around 250 ping! (Below 200 in the Caribbean) :)

Personally, I'm on the internet every day of life and using it while on vacation to do anything more than send an email home once or twice seems nuts to me. I cruise to get away from all that stuff. It's nice just to relax and enjoy not worrying about anything more than if its going to be sunny all day and where am I going to eat lunch and dinner.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

He's definitely incorrect about Indy - three new antennas were installed above the sky bar not long before leaving for the transatlantic to Southampton (hotel director revealed this!) in readiness and it was activated for the start of the t/a. Consistently getting over 20mbs downloads and around 250 ping! (Below 200 in the Caribbean) :)

Are you currently on the Indy and getting thses ping rates? If yes,can you do me a favor and ping console.worldoftanks.com and tell me what you get?

Are you currently on the Indy and getting thses ping rates? If yes,can you do me a favor and ping console.worldoftanks.com and tell me what you get?

Attached below, about a day and a half away from southampton at the moment

1445456141_ScreenShot2016-05-12at18_35_17.jpg.5287c86db2cc5c904bdd477a4a25c5b4.jpg

I think it's mainly that we're getting further north compared to the caribbean and are right on the edge of the satellite coverage area

O3b-coverage-map.png

Definitely in the limited coverage area now (we're almost level with the south west coast of cornwall in England) however still feels fast and responsive (definitely more like a land based connection than a ship one!!) no problem streaming video etc. either :)

Edited by Duggy1983