Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

Carnival wouldn't even have to be skimming from the tip pool to make money off the program. The money from all the ships sits in their account drawing interest until it's disbursed to the recipients. That's got to be a substantial amount of money to draw interest on. Not that there's anything wrong with them getting the interest.

Well that I can see. Same way that they hold our deposits and make us pay in full 75 days or whatever ahead of time. This of course isn't unique to Carnival. Airlines do it once we book, hotels if you have a prepaid rate, etc. I really don't worry about that kind of stuff because I can't control it.

I guess if it bothers someone that much then they can just have them added onboard. I always use discounted gift cards so it's all the same. The GC people already have my money long before I cruise so I just add them in to my booking as to get them out of the way. But I can totally see what you mean about benefitting Carnival in that way. This is probably honestly the only thing I have had brought to light for me in all these dang tipping threads! Not that it changes the way I feel, but it is nice to gain a different perspective.

Every room steward I have had in at least the last ten cruises also has an assistant who he/she pays out of his pocket.

Yes, they hire crew members that have their time off of their regular job. They pay them so they can team up and net more.but then some think they should tip the assistant directly and screw things up.

Yes, they hire crew members that have their time off of their regular job. They pay them so they can team up and net more.but then some think they should tip the assistant directly and screw things up.

I am sure that happens. The point is that the logic of how much they make from tips when they have 24+ rooms is flawed (not that it should bother anyone as they are only staying in one room at a time). The system actually works well.

I am sure that happens. The point is that the logic of how much they make from tips when they have 24+ rooms is flawed (not that it should bother anyone as they are only staying in one room at a time). The system actually works well.

Only to people that are oddly interested in their income.

Yet they overlook someone is losing their job for every cluster of rooms the ones employed are being expanded to. When 100 rooms had 10 stewards, that was 10 stewards. Now that they are doubled, 5 stewards are unemployed, and 5 stewards are overworked, as you can tell by the feedback of the test ships.

"Lady, I can't service your room twice a day and clean 35 cabins".

Only to people that are oddly interested in their income.

Yet they overlook someone is losing their job for every cluster of rooms the ones employed are being expanded to. When 100 rooms had 10 stewards, that was 10 stewards. Now that they are doubled, 5 stewards are unemployed, and 5 stewards are overworked, as you can tell by the feedback of the test ships.

"Lady, I can't service your room twice a day and clean 35 cabins".

All except that is a non issue. My last 5 cruises (before the test) they had expanded coverage and there was not a problem. I did not realize that cruisers had to worry about full employment. It's none of our business as long as you get service, which I always have done. One offs as you describe are rare exception. Even on the Dream, which was for some reason a problem, this has been resolved. How did tipping turn into twice a day service (which is still not an issue).

All except that is a non issue. My last 5 cruises (before the test) they had expanded coverage and there was not a problem. I did not realize that cruisers had to worry about full employment. It's none of our business as long as you get service, which I always have done. One offs as you describe are rare exception. Even on the Dream, which was for some reason a problem, this has been resolved. How did tipping turn into twice a day service (which is still not an issue).

In the past week I have read of cabin service issues on 3 ships; all recent sailings. It appears the issue is not totally corrected. Until it is corrected it is appropriate for paying guests to "make noise". Once it is fully corrected and there are no more reports of people being shorted then we can say it is resolved.

Carnival took a gamble to save money and resources and I think the pushback was much greater than they anticipated, but the test was more of a change and not a test and it's not so easy for them to flip a switch and go back.

In the past week I have read of cabin service issues on 3 ships; all recent sailings. It appears the issue is not totally corrected. Until it is corrected it is appropriate for paying guests to "make noise". Once it is fully corrected and there are no more reports of people being shorted then we can say it is resolved.

Carnival took a gamble to save money and resources and I think the pushback was much greater than they anticipated, but the test was more of a change and not a test and it's not so easy for them to flip a switch and go back.

If there are exceptions, I have no issue with these being raised up (make noise) in fact they should. I would be utterly shocked if that could not be resolved with a stop at guest services.

Of course the test was a test with the intention of making it a reality. Have you heard they are reversing this?

You don't? Ever go into a supermarket that usually has 10'cashiers ringing, and suddenly they are cut back to 5? Yes, that effects me the same way a cut back of steward staff would.

By the way, people on the dream are still reporting problems.

If there are exceptions, I have no issue with these being raised up (make noise) in fact they should. I would be utterly shocked if that could not be resolved with a stop at guest services.

Of course the test was a test with the intention of making it a reality. Have you heard they are reversing this?

I have read repeatedly where guests are to clearly be given options and reading reports from guests where those options are not being given. So I don't know if reversed is the right word. Perhaps modified.

I have no issue if someone wants once a day service. That's fine. They could have always had that by letting a steward know / using their Snoozing card so no one would end. If they are happy with that, great.

But those that are used to and want twice daily services should not have to compromise, especially not in the face of an 8% increase in daily service charges.

I would not blame anyone that modified their service charges if they did not get the service the brand ambassador has pledged they can have. It's the only universal language a corporation speaks ($$$).

Ideally I'd prefer to deal with absolutely none of this on vacation. Like I've said elsewhere, a cruise without any stops at guest services is a success. I don't want to deal with managers, messages, guest relations, etc. on a cruise. Sounds like going to work to me.

The world doesn't just consist of the US.

There are restaurants in the UK who add a services charge to bills in. No one tips when that happens (unless they don't notice).. And by Law, you can if you wish have that charge removed.

Similarly services like hairdressers, where customers will add a tip to the credit card bill they pay the cashier.

Because its been picked up, every penny of these service charges now has to by law be given to the staff. So yes it's a criminal offence in the UK now to pull this scam.

Is this the case in the US? My understanding of US employment (and I will openly admit is not good), is that things are heavily in favour of the employer who can and does bully and terrorise staff with the fear of being fired. Coupled with non existent sick pay and minimal holiday pay, it's not good being an employee. Here, I can be sick for a whole year (6 months full pay and 6 months on half pay) get 6 weeks holiday plus a further 8 days bank holiday. American friends I've spoken with can't believe that someone could get that. It's not out of the ordinary either.

Employment laws are a lot to do with this and why staff can't be paid in tips without a proper salary they can survive on.

Personally I prefer our system, but fair enough if you disagree.

and you pay for that system through the nose in taxes. i prefer our system where i can pay less in taxes.

They knew exactly what they were doing. They got caught.

This makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to me actually. They thought they could save a whole bunch of money by doing servicing less. They hedged their bets by not "ripping off the band aid" and the tests didn't go as well as planned and they were forced to backtrack. Except it appears on some ships backtracking is slow or unevenly applied.

If they wanted to make 1 a day service the standard they should have just gone for it on all ships at the same time, no options, no blowing sunshine by the brand ambassador, no double speak about trials or tailoring things to the guests liking.

The corporate take away from this? No half measures.

It makes perfect sense to me actually. They thought they could save a whole bunch of money by doing servicing less. They hedged their bets by not "ripping off the band aid" and the tests didn't go as well as planned and they were forced to backtrack. Except it appears on some ships backtracking is slow or unevenly applied.

If they wanted to make 1 a day service the standard they should have just gone for it on all ships at the same time, no options, no blowing sunshine by the brand ambassador, no double speak about trials or tailoring things to the guests liking.

........... Or it was just a trail just like they said to see 1 how their staff did with it 2 what their clients thought of it and 3 whether it would bode well for a full deployment. While I know you don't like the once a day (personally I agree with you here) there have been more than a few that have no problem with it.

........... Or it was just a trail just like they said to see 1 how their staff did with it 2 what their clients thought of it and 3 whether it would bode well for a full deployment. While I know you don't like the once a day (personally I agree with you here) there have been more than a few that have no problem with it.

It has always been an option; just use the Snoozin (do not disturb) card.

So we can agree this an enhancement, so they don't have to "remember" to use the card?

Depends how you define "enhancement"

If you mean a way to further streamline? Maybe

If you mean a way to deliver more value to the guest? Haha no

but what does that have to do with 'getting caught' :confused: they made a business decision......some go well, others don't. they didn't do anything wrong and certainly didn't get caught but found it simply wasn't a good business decision and decided to change back to the old practice.

but what does that have to do with 'getting caught' :confused: they made a business decision......some go well, others don't. they didn't do anything wrong and certainly didn't get caught but found it simply wasn't a good business decision and decided to change back to the old practice.

I'm just saying they only went half way and had to back track.

A decision would have been going to once a day for everyone, all ships, that's it, the way it will be.

Instead they had months and months of having to trot out the brand ambassador to say one thing while each ship seemed to handle it differently. Some people got the same old standard service without anything being said, others got cards to make selections, others were told verbally they could have one or the other, but not both.

It was just a messy trial.

What they should've done was quietly role it out fleetwide as the new standard. No options, no cards, no explanations. What they did was try to foist a cutback on their customers, cloaked as an "enhancement" to the cruising experience. It was poorly thought out, poorly worded, poorly executed and loudly panned. Silver tongued devils they are not. LOL