Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

No one would want to believe that a cabin steward could actually be making more money than they are. And what rational person would believe that Carnival would be letting them make that kind of money? But, if Carnival's previous numbers were to be believed and applied now, the stewards are not poor, downtrodden, third world savages. They're making pretty good money, heartbreaking tales of poverty aside. And they dodge the long arm of the IRS. What could be better?

You would be right!

At the OLD rate of $3.70 per day, and 20 cabins, it would be $74.00 per day. That is only about 27k per year.

But increase that by 10% to $4.07 and make it 35 cabins, and it's $142.75 per day. Or about 52k per year. I do not believe Carnival has extended all the increase to their employees.

And this would be none of my business except... I do NOT WANT ONE TIME PER DAY CABIN SERVICE.

But, if Carnival's previous numbers were to be believed and applied now, the stewards are not poor, downtrodden, third world savages. They're making pretty good money, heartbreaking tales of poverty aside. And they dodge the long arm of the IRS. What could be better?

Here comes the bonus. The staff get paid in mighty US$ and not some third world currency that can be devalued or become worthless overnight.

You would be right!

At the OLD rate of $3.70 per day, and 20 cabins, it would be $74.00 per day. That is only about 27k per year.

But increase that by 10% to $4.07 and make it 35 cabins, and it's $142.75 per day. Or about 52k per year. I do not believe Carnival has extended all the increase to their employees.

And this would be none of my business except... I do NOT WANT ONE TIME PER DAY CABIN SERVICE.

Your math is flawed. Big time.

1. You are assuming one person is cleaning 35 rooms, when in fact is multiple people. Usually there is the head steward and they have assistants under them.

2. You are assuming they work 365 days a year. Big stretch.

Why do you believe Carnival would increase gratuities and then pocket it for themselves, versus just raising fares, which is has already done over the past year due to increased demand?

Edited by Steve Dore

This is totally not true. My daughter worked as a server, it didn't matter how much she earned in tips, they still paid her the less than $3/hour. Not sure where you got this, but she has worked at several different restaurants and what you described has not happened at any of them. I also know several others who worked at different restaurants and same thing.

Sorry, you're wrong about the law (post#145). As for your daughter, it sounds like the employer didn't comply and she should look into it. This law has been that way since I first managed restaurants 29 years ago.

1. You are assuming one person is cleaning 35 rooms, when in fact is multiple people. Usually there is the head steward and they have assistants under them.

Why do you believe Carnival would increase gratuities and then pocket it for themselves, versus just raising fares, which is has already done over the past year due to increased demand?

I expect they don't get any tips paid directly to them either and Carnival have no motives in not disclosing how much of the gratuity "tax" they pass over.

Believe that and you believe anything.

Yes it's flawed. Because he based his math on only on tipper per cabin, when in most cases there will be two or more, at least doubling the amount of money involved. If only one steward was cleaning 35 cabins, they could make over $100,000/year if they worked 365 days. Now we know that's not the case, but clearly, if Carnival is giving them the full tips, and some would question that fact, the stewards are not hurting for money.

Yes it's flawed. Because he based his math on only on tipper per cabin, when in most cases there will be two or more, at least doubling the amount of money involved. If only one steward was cleaning 35 cabins, they could make over $100,000/year if they worked 365 days. Now we know that's not the case, but clearly, if Carnival is giving them the full tips, and some would question that fact, the stewards are not hurting for money.

I was hoping someone would notice only the one tipper... Carnival's occupancy averages 2.5 persons per cabin. Clearly, the room stewards are NOT getting all the money, and Carnival is using the confusion with the realignment of cleaning duties and raising gratuities to do something else with the dollars that used to go to the steward crew.

Guys, it was not, too, that I was figuring one steward's wages... it was for the total wages to be paid to A steward, whether working 365 days a year, or 365 stewards each working one day.

Yahoo finance might want to get their facts straight.It was never $15.95 for suites. It's going from $12 to $12.95 for non suites and to $13.95 for suites.

It is Royal Caribbean who raised the suite gratuities to $16.50 per day.

Clearly, the room stewards are NOT getting all the money, and Carnival is using the confusion with the realignment of cleaning duties and raising gratuities to do something else with the dollars that used to go to the steward crew.

Um, no, it's not clearly. :rolleyes:

If that's how you choose to justify your position, good for you. But if that is all the "proof" you have, then don't expect many, if any, to take your claim seriously.

I think Mexicans invented tacos in 1956 to make Americans fat. I don't have any proof of that, and it most likely is not true, but that is my opinion, so it must be true. :)

Um, no, it's not clearly. :rolleyes:

If that's how you choose to justify your position, good for you. But if that is all the "proof" you have, then don't expect many, if any, to take your claim seriously.

I think Mexicans invented tacos in 1956 to make Americans fat. I don't have any proof of that, and it most likely is not true, but that is my opinion, so it must be true. :)

The math doesn't add up. Do you really think that stewards are making $50,000 a year? 95¢ a day per passenger will really go a long way to an outstanding bonus for Arnold and Christine. Most of Cruise Critic is cheering it.

The math doesn't add up. Do you really think that stewards are making $50,000 a year? 95¢ a day per passenger will really go a long way to an outstanding bonus for Arnold and Christine. Most of Cruise Critic is cheering it.

They not only don't need it, the quantum leap to jump to that is way more unbelievable than what you say does not add up.

They not only don't need it, the quantum leap to jump to that is way more unbelievable than what you say does not add up.

The simple fact is no one except for the cruise line accounting department really knows. The cruise line collects the money and distributes it how it sees fit. It's additional revenue that makes shareholders happy and plumps up stock prices. How much they pay out to stewards is up for debate, but it's hard to argue the math. I don't think the stewards get all that any of these cruise lines claim. I don't think it is absurd for someone to question where it goes if they want to know; just don't expect any straight answers.

The simple fact is no one except for the cruise line accounting department really knows. The cruise line collects the money and distributes it how it sees fit. It's additional revenue that makes shareholders happy and plumps up stock prices. How much they pay out to stewards is up for debate, but it's hard to argue the math. I don't think the stewards get all that any of these cruise lines claim. I don't think it is absurd for someone to question where it goes if they want to know; just don't expect any straight answers.

Big leap from questioning to saying that the chairman and president are on the take. But that is what happens here ..

Thinking it and saying it are two different things. Slanderous at the least.

Not slanderous at all. Not even rising to libelous as the poster did not say in a matter of fact way it is going to the CEO, only that a 95 cent difference per person per day would go a long way towards a bonus. Not that that is a fact. Splitting hairs? Maybe. But we ARE essentially discussing the meaning of words, so seems appropriate to me.

Either way, I do have a hard time believing the room attendants are getting such big wages (increase + less stewards with more rooms to attend to). Considering they are employed through an agency and not directly with Carnival it just doesn't make sense to me. But, as I said, I really can't say where the money goes, just what doesn't pass the common sense sniff test.

Not slanderous at all. Not even rising to libelous as the poster did not say in a matter of fact way it is going to the CEO, only that a 95 cent difference per person per day would go a long way towards a bonus. Not that that is a fact. Splitting hairs? Maybe. But we ARE essentially discussing the meaning of words, so seems appropriate to me.

Either way, I do have a hard time believing the room attendants are getting such big wages (increase + less stewards with more rooms to attend to). Considering they are employed through an agency and not directly with Carnival it just doesn't make sense to me. But, as I said, I really can't say where the money goes, just what doesn't pass the common sense sniff test.

He sure did not have a problem saying it. Whether he alluded or said it the intent is clear. Shame that is what this forum comes to.

Edited by jimbo5544

He sure did not have a problem saying it. Whether he alluded or said it the intent is clear. Shame that is what this forum comes to.

Far worse things are said on here daily, directed at users for sharing their opinions.

Would you be 100% surprised if he were partially right?

From the Carnival Corp. and plc 2014 10-K:

In addition, substantially all of our brands recommend that our guests pay a voluntary hotel service charge, which is collected by us and directly paid out to our ships hotel service staff.

So I guess if you have evidence to the contrary, you should go to the following link and report it. They pay well.

http://www.sec.gov/whistleblower/

Then again, this is Cruise Critic...why even bother with facts. :eek:

Edited by Steve Dore

From the Carnival Corp. and plc 2014 10-K:

In addition, substantially all of our brands recommend that our guests pay a voluntary hotel service charge, which is collected by us and directly paid out to our ships hotel service staff.

So I guess if you have evidence to the contrary, you should go to the following link and report it. They pay well.

http://www.sec.gov/whistleblower/

Then again, this is Cruise Critic...why even bother with facts. :eek:

Might went to check where those ships are registered or where those tip earners live.

Might went to check where those ships are registered or where those tip earners live.

False reporting of financial information to investors and the SEC has nothing to do with ship registry or what country I Made is from.

You will be surprised a lot more people know the answer besides accounting. Senior management knows. HR knows. Some dept heads know. But no one is talking. Why? Because this is internal confidential info outsiders are not entitled to have. Some here can speculate and spin their conspiracy theories all they want. I doubt Carnival and in fact most cruisers would care.

You will be surprised a lot more people know the answer besides accounting. Senior management knows. HR knows. Some dept heads know. But no one is talking. Why? Because this is internal confidential info outsiders are not entitled to have. Some here can speculate and spin their conspiracy theories all they want. I doubt Carnival and in fact most cruisers would care.

Only because it affects our SERVICE!

THAT is the issue.

Yes, right, more than accounting; many in upper management positions.