Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

You are entitled to your opinion. But most cruisers are not concerned or just want affordable cruise price. So there is that.

You may well be right. I am a Carnival fan, despite my being less of one lately than before. Some newer fans may not realize what has been lost and may be okay with that.

The gratuities really are a bargain even up to about $25 a day per person. There's no excuse for not paying them, since it's a common practice in the industry.

I do question if the recipients really get all that the cruise lines say they do, but at the end of the day, it's not my business and I don't care. Makes for good conversation, though. :)

The gratuities really are a bargain even up to about $25 a day per person. There's no excuse for not paying them, since it's a common practice in the industry.

I do question if the recipients really get all that the cruise lines say they do, but at the end of the day, it's not my business and I don't care. Makes for good conversation, though. :)

How odd!

When you say its common practice across the industry, are you just referring to cruises? My last two had zero gratuities to pay - because the cruise company paid their staff properly. And $25 per day, per person - times by loads of rooms! Wow - you are generous! lol - But then you blow it by saying you dont care if the staff get paid or not! I'm sure you must be baiting! haha

How odd!

When you say its common practice across the industry, are you just referring to cruises? My last two had zero gratuities to pay - because the cruise company paid their staff properly. And $25 per day, per person - times by loads of rooms! Wow - you are generous! lol - But then you blow it by saying you dont care if the staff get paid or not! I'm sure you must be baiting! haha

Interesting, how much was your cruise fare?

How odd!

Not baiting. What I meant was that I don't care how the companies pay their staff out of the tips. If they say it all goes to them, that's fine. If they're skimming from the tip pool, that's their business and between the company and their employees. Personally, I think they're skimming, but I have no proof so it's just my opinion.

And when I say common practice, I'm speaking of US based cruise lines. I just noticed that you are in the UK. :D

Edited by Thorncroft

Not baiting. What I meant was that I don't care how the companies pay their staff out of the tips. If they say it all goes to them, that's fine. If they're skimming from the tip pool, that's their business and between the company and their employees. Personally, I think they're skimming, but I have no proof so it's just my opinion.

And when I say common practice, I'm speaking of US based cruise lines. I just noticed that you are in the UK. :D

OK, so it was Cruises specifically you were referring. They don't charge gratuities on far East cruises! The one I referred is Italian owned, but run from the US. Their staff are mostly European and from the far East.

OK, I understand what you're saying and I know the fare you pay needs to cover staff wages - but I personally would prefer transparency on that. I agree re skimming - I think they are too. I'd prefer them to just add it into the fare - which is obviously what the others Im talking about do.

Jimbo - yes the fare was more - but then I had a butler too who served me breakfast in my room every day. lol .... But the point was Staff didnt expect tips (they wanted them of course - and those who went above the call of duty got them - including the cleaners and of course my Butler! hehe

That means more people will have them removed.

I've prepaid mine. For the four of us for the 8 days it cames to $384 which I think its a pretty sizeable tip!!!

If the service has been poor, I dont blame anyone from removing them. Having prepaid, I'm guessing I don't get that option.

How odd!

Silver Cloud and Silver Wind are in a league of their own, and you darned well paid the price to include wages.

Not that it matters. I'm all for it. I booked while on Magic last week for a October 17 cruise and had gratuities added at 12.00 pp pd. Just wondering if those are locked in? I know Royal just did the same thing recently. If you already had a cruise booked and gratuities added, they were locked in. I have no problem paying the extra. Just wondering how that will be handled.

I did the sam thing. You're locked in at the old rate.

Silver Cloud and Silver Wind are in a league of their own, and you darned well paid the price to include wages.

If you are suggesting I paid more for my fare, then you are correct. But what I would say is that it was a longer cruise and taking into account the the cost of drinks and everything else you're expected to pay for the gulf between the two prices are nearer than you may think. "You get what you pay for" springs to mind.

Don't forget too, that on top of the $12.95 per person per day, you also get hit with 15% gratuities on drinks purchased as well as. You end up paying a very tidy sum of money for tips. Personally I don't think for one moment it's collected on behalf of staff and handed over to them. And unless it is in its entirety, calling the payment "gratuities" is not nice to think you've given a tip and the employers are taking money out of their bowl. If they don't, then staff earn a very good salary... But if they do..... Shame on cruise companies!

But I digress. The other cruises were mentioned purely to challenge the statement that all cruise companies add service as a separate charge.

Interestingly, in the UK, the government have just passed (or about to) a law which guarantees that all "service charge" fees mentioned on the bill.... ie an enforced gratuities charge (which you CAN have removed) finds its way 100% to staff. It would appear the UK government agree with my thoughts and recognise unscrupulous employers do skim and customers are being conned by the name of that payment charge. Particularly unfair as patrons might want to give these people a gift of appreciation but then don't because they think they already have. Transparency is the key.

Edited by les37b

I have no problem with the increase, I honestly would like it higher and make it mandatory NO additional tips allowed PERIOD. If you are pre-tipping it is silly to tip additionally. I should not have to carry around a wad of cash to feel like I am getting the service I already paid for.

Example a drink you already paid for the tip on the program you bought, why in earth would you pay a buck or two more to expect better service? 10 dollar drink (15% pre-pay $1.50) then 2 bucks for "great service" 20% so you are now playing 35 percent on one drink. That better be one amazing drink. $3.50 per drink is ridicules.

Room service same thing, I already paid for tips for kitchen, servers, cooks why would I need to pay even more to have a meal delivered? If I stay in my room for a meal I am literally paying twice on the tip.

Raise it to 15 bucks per day but don't put your hand out for extra.

If you are suggesting I paid more for my fare, then you are correct. But what I would say is that it was a longer cruise and taking into account the the cost of drinks and everything else you're expected to pay for the gulf between the two prices are nearer than you may think. "You get what you pay for" springs to mind.

Don't forget too, that on top of the $12.95 per person per day, you also get hit with 15% gratuities on drinks purchased as well as. You end up paying a very tidy sum of money for tips. Personally I don't think for one moment it's collected on behalf of staff and handed over to them. And unless it is in its entirety, calling the payment "gratuities" is not nice to think you've given a tip and the employers are taking money out of their bowl. If they don't, then staff earn a very good salary... But if they do..... Shame on cruise companies!

But I digress. The other cruises were mentioned purely to challenge the statement that all cruise companies add service as a separate charge.

Interestingly, in the UK, the government have just passed (or about to) a law which guarantees that all "service charge" fees mentioned on the bill.... ie an enforced gratuities charge (which you CAN have removed) finds its way 100% to staff. It would appear the UK government agree with my thoughts and recognise unscrupulous employers do skim and customers are being conned by the name of that payment charge. Particularly unfair as patrons might want to give these people a gift of appreciation but then don't because they think they already have. Transparency is the key.

You are correct, it is not all, but it is all major cruise lines. Comparing Carnival (or Royal or NCL or Princess, or HAL or Costa, etc) to Silversea's is not a fair comparison from any vantage point, tips included. But the mainline companies do all follow the same basic rules (and Carnival suggests the appropriate amount which is less than all other lines I mentioned). Why I asked about your fare is because you can "disguise" much in a 4 X or more fare compared to Carnival. Lastly as mentioned, UK has a much different view on tips then the US....period on that note.

This topic has been debated to death here. Whether or not a room steward services 1 cabin or a 101, you or I only stay in one in a time and that is the total concern we should have. How much they make is of zero relevance. It is an accepted practice, that can be either followed or ignored. If he/she does good work, he /she should be tipped. Period. The last night removal of tips at the GS is a disgrace, although the creative lies the cheapskates come up with are interesting.

Edited by jimbo5544

OK, so it was Cruises specifically you were referring. They don't charge gratuities on far East cruises! The one I referred is Italian owned, but run from the US. Their staff are mostly European and from the far East.

OK, I understand what you're saying and I know the fare you pay needs to cover staff wages - but I personally would prefer transparency on that. I agree re skimming - I think they are too. I'd prefer them to just add it into the fare - which is obviously what the others Im talking about do.

Jimbo - yes the fare was more - but then I had a butler too who served me breakfast in my room every day. lol .... But the point was Staff didnt expect tips (they wanted them of course - and those who went above the call of duty got them - including the cleaners and of course my Butler! hehe

if you think those cruises you went on the cruise company made less of a profit by paying for the gratuities instead of you then you are sadly mistaken. people just can't seem to grasp the idea that first, a cruise company is going to make a profit or go bankrupt and second, you are paying the gratuities/wages one way or another, either as true gratuities, a service charge, or embedded in basic cruise fare. if the name of the payment is what bothers you then pay them as soon as you purchase your cruise and think of them as being embedded in the cruise price but either way, you are paying the wages of the crew, no if, ands, or buts about it.

Edited by Computer Nerd

if you think those cruises you went on the cruise company made less of a profit by paying for the gratuities instead of you then you are sadly mistaken. people just can't seem to grasp the idea that first, a cruise company is going to make a profit or close and second, you are paying the gratuities one way or another, either as true gratuities, a service charge, or embedded in basic cruise fare. if the name of the payment is what bothers you then pay them as soon as you purchase your cruise and think of them as being embedded in the cruise price but either way, you are paying the wages of the crew, no if, ands, or buts about it.

Yes, but then the smoked mirror of low fares is blown. And the cruise lines don't want you to know the total price of your cruise is your fare and taxes, plus your sail and sigh card charges.

Ah, the days of yore where you just brought your butler along for your cruise for your personal convenience.

Yes, but then the smoked mirror of low fares is blown. And the cruise lines don't want you to know the total price of your cruise is your fare and taxes, plus your sail and sigh card charges.

Ah, the days of yore where you just brought your butler along for your cruise for your personal convenience.

if someone can't do basic math in their head to know how much they are truly paying then they shouldn't have a bank account because cruising isn't the only place in this world where they are getting fleeced. ;)

if someone can't do basic math in their head to know how much they are truly paying then they shouldn't have a bank account because cruising isn't the only place in this world where they are getting fleeced. ;)

Not to take it OT, but I agree. I work in finance for a College and we think its bad now, just wait until a majority of the Millennials reach adulthood. It's bad people. Such a huge decline in the freshman student we saw in 2000 and the freshman students we see now in 2016. I'm scared.

Edited by Steve Dore

The last night removal of tips at the GS is a disgrace, although the creative lies the cheapskates come up with are interesting.

Not sure why people have to make up creative lies/stories to remove tips however some must. You don't need a reason, you are allowed to remove or change them.

Not sure why people have to make up creative lies/stories to remove tips however some must. You don't need a reason, you are allowed to remove or change them.

Whenever I've had occasion to be at GS on any cruise I've never, ever heard the business the person next to me is conducting; let alone heard anyones business as I walk by.

Anyone who bothers to read the cruise contract or payment terms displayed on the website screen before clicking the Buy Now button would know total cruise price always includes cruise fare + tax + DSC. There is no smoke and mirror trick or attempt to hide charges unless the buyer is willfully blind, too lazy to read or flunked his basic English and math in school.

Anyone who bothers to read the cruise contract or payment terms displayed on the website screen before clicking the Buy Now button would know total cruise price always includes cruise fare + tax + DSC. There is no smoke and mirror trick or attempt to hide charges unless the buyer is willfully blind, too lazy to read or flunked his basic English and math in school.

If you book by phone they don't mention it.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

if you think those cruises you went on the cruise company made less of a profit by paying for the gratuities instead of you then you are sadly mistaken. people just can't seem to grasp the idea that first, a cruise company is going to make a profit or go bankrupt and second, you are paying the gratuities/wages one way or another, either as true gratuities, a service charge, or embedded in basic cruise fare. if the name of the payment is what bothers you then pay them as soon as you purchase your cruise and think of them as being embedded in the cruise price but either way, you are paying the wages of the crew, no if, ands, or buts about it.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me as part seems to be the obvious and something I understand.

I'm fully aware that ALL cruise companies are in business to make money. It's daft to suggest I didnt think that. And Yes, I am fully aware that part of the increased fair is because it is paying their wages. I dont have a problem with that, in fact I prefer it that way. As I've said (along with others) there is a big cultural difference between the UK and the US on this subject.

I tip when I get good service, not because someone has just done what I think they should be paid by their employer to do. A tip is meant as an extra - a bonus - not part of an employees basic money.

Now here's the thing.

So far, my Gratuities bill to date for this 8 day cruise I'm on - I've had to fork out $530 in tips for me the wife and 2 kids. I was flabbergasted! Do Americans really hand out $530 in tips each time they go on holiday? Anyway - I just dont believe that amount is being handed over, so it introduces another dilemma. You are happy to pay for service - but are you equally happy if you left a tip for a waitress, to find the owner snipped a big chunk and didnt let the waitress keep your gift to herself?

I expect a Saudi Prince probably tips those amount, but I find it incredible I've had to.

We will agree to disagree I guess.... But I do think its needed to explain points of view.

Edited by les37b

My English and Math is fine. I spoke directly with Carnival before booking. I asked about the cost on board for drinks and asked for some examples. I then asked if there was any extra charges for those drinks and I was told there would be a 15% gratuitie but that was it.

I now learn I will also face a further 10% charge for tax, despite asking the question direct before booking.

Was this an attempt to get me to book by willfully hiding charges in order to get a booking?

I was far from Lazy - I asked them direct and the reply that came back was at best uninformed and frankly awful service - or maybe just a trick with smoke and mirrors.

You are correct, it is not all, but it is all major cruise lines. Comparing Carnival (or Royal or NCL or Princess, or HAL or Costa, etc) to Silversea's is not a fair comparison from any vantage point, tips included. But the mainline companies do all follow the same basic rules (and Carnival suggests the appropriate amount which is less than all other lines I mentioned). Why I asked about your fare is because you can "disguise" much in a 4 X or more fare compared to Carnival. Lastly as mentioned, UK has a much different view on tips then the US....period on that note.

4X fare? I didnt even pay 2X the cost of this trip and it was 10 days instead of 8. Adding the cost of drinks, gratuities and tax, it really isnt going to work out massively different in price.

But what a difference in quality!

And Yes, I'm not disagreeing with the notion, most US Cruise companies use this practice of adding a tip to your bill, I just put forward as a fact they dont all do - and those n the Far East dont either.

This topic has been debated to death here. Whether or not a room steward services 1 cabin or a 101, you or I only stay in one in a time and that is the total concern we should have. How much they make is of zero relevance. It is an accepted practice, that can be either followed or ignored. If he/she does good work, he /she should be tipped. Period. The last night removal of tips at the GS is a disgrace, although the creative lies the cheapskates come up with are interesting.

Interesting.

If someone does a good job for you, they should be rewarded? No problem about that (apart from would you tip your builder or dentist..... or checkout till girl....)

But in essence, I'm with you. OTOH, if you havent had good service, why would you want to Tip? I know from what you've said you understand the differences in attitudes between the UK and US, but I wouldnt understand why you would unilaterally tip because some has opened a bottle for you but made you wait and served you with a dirty glass.

Like I said in the post above, this 8 day trip for me, the wife and kids has already attracted a $530 bill for gratuities! Thats a tidy sum don't you think? And its all prepaid. And yes I agree its not good that someone removes tips for no other reason than they want the money promised for themselves instead. The term you use "cheapskate" is a correct one.

Whenever I've had occasion to be at GS on any cruise I've never, ever heard the business the person next to me is conducting; let alone heard anyones business as I walk by.

I have on multiple occasions. Several could've heard by anyone at the bar.