Brief Breeze Review-It's first cruise from Galveston

LisaH

I also submitted this to cruise critic for official posting.

Carnival Breeze

Western Caribbean: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay

May 8-15, 2016

Port: Galveston

Ocean Suite: 7233

After many years of cruises and living in Texas, we finally decided to try driving to Galveston rather than fly to Florida. This would be our second cruise on The Breeze. We cruised on her from Miami back in 2013. I would definitely cruise out of Galveston again other than the thought of fighting Houston traffic again is not a fun thought.

We left Dallas around 7:00 on Saturday morning and had reservations for a one night stay at the Holiday Inn Resort on Seawall Drive. I would definitely recommend this hotel as it was clean, quiet and the a/c worked really well. We had an ocean facing room so it was nice to be on the balcony and stare at the Gulf of Mexico. The hotel rates in Galveston are very high and this HI was approx. $289 per night. Its sister hotel, the San Luis (next door) is beautiful and we had lunch and a drink at the bar there. I would love to stay at this hotel but I am guessing that for one night only, the price is probably $400 +. It is beautiful and has a very active/young/hip and loud pool area.

The Cruise

Cabin 7233 – Ocean Suite was the most forward we have ever been on any cruise. It was surprisingly conveniently located to the things we were interested in. To go to the fitness center, all I had to do was go up 5 decks and walk right in. The cruise was the smoothest we have ever had. But the first night was a little less calm and being that far forward, you could sometimes feel a lurch and I am guessing it was the waves (while not big waves), we were pretty far forward. Our cabin attendant was spectacular.

Embarkation was a “Breeze” as it arrived empty from Miami. This was the first cruise for the Breeze out of Galveston. It is taking over for the Magic. We did not have FTTF but since we had a suite, priority embarkation is always a plus. We were in our cabin by 11:30. We used indoor parking very near the pier. With all the hail this year we decided to be safe rather than sorry. We dropped luggage off first and then parked. It was very easy and the Galveston port is very organized. Oh and on the return we tipped a porter $20 and he took our luggage for us to the parking garage – definitely worth it.

We did not cruise for the ports as we have been to Mexico, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. With the exception of Grand Cayman, I feel the ports are forgettable. We decided to do no shore excursions and pretty much stayed on the ship other than in Grand Cayman for shopping and brief shopping at the port in Cozumel.

We did the Chef’s Table for the first time and it was definitely a fun experience and worth the $75 pp + 15% gratuity. It also included a pic of the guests and Chef at the table. There was so much food (7 courses) + 3-4 appetizers. I think my husband liked it better than I did. For me, the food was not great but the experience of eating in the galley and interacting with the staff was great. I would recommend this to anyone.

We had margaritas at Blue Iguana and they were terrific. The bar service overall was terrible. There were not enough staff to place drink orders with if you were at a table in the atrium listening to the music. This area was popular as the violin trio and the country western duo were great. If we wanted a drink we either had to go to the bar ourselves, or go back to the Ocean Plaza bar that was less crowded and sit at the bar. This was my only real complaint with this cruise.

Blush Dining Room

We had early seating and were upstairs. We enjoyed our waiter and our dining experience. Food was good, not great with the exception of the salmon (available each night) AND the world famous Chocolate Melting Cake – to die for!!!! We had great tablemates from Oklahoma.

Entertainment

We only went to one show – the 70s night. The music was so much fun, the costumes and sets were great. The voices of the singers was mediocre. This was the only evening show we attended.

Summation

Overall it was a great cruise. We used it to relax and not schedule much. Our bed was so comfy that I laid in it each afternoon and watched Ellen. I think they must have new mattresses from our last cruise on the Breeze in 2013 even though the ship is still relatively new. I am also very warm natured and our cabin was soooo cool at times, even I had to click up the thermostat a couple of clicks once or twice. This made me very happy.

We are scheduled to cruise on Carnival Vista in February 2017 in a Havana Cabana Suite (5233). I will definitely review that when the time comes. Please feel free to email me at atticus0216@gmail.com if you have any specific questions or want any additional info. I love to talk about ship experiences.

Thanks for the review. Will be on the Breeze in Sept and doing the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel routing. Can't wait to do that routing again. And Dallas is traffic is much worse than Houston. Just saying. HA HA! Glad you had a good cruise!

Thanks for the review. Will be on the Breeze in Sept and doing the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel routing. Can't wait to do that routing again. And Dallas is traffic is much worse than Houston. Just saying. HA HA! Glad you had a good cruise!

I will agree that Dallas traffic is terrible and getting worse. I think we are running a very close second to Houston. :)

Thank you for this review.

We are taking this ship and cruise in August. This will be our first cruise and we also will be on Deck 7. Am feeling a little overwhelmed right now with all the decisions and options. Nope scratch that, ALOT overwhelmed.:eek::eek:

Edited by ATX_CRUISER

We stay at The Inn at The Waterpark ... near Schliterbaun (sp) water park ,we cruise in the winter months ... Very nice hotel , Free parking for the week , Free Shuttle to and from the cruise port . $99.00 a night during the Water parks off season ! about 3 -4 blocks from Seawall Blvd ...

Thank you for the well written report.

Did the Holiday Inn have an outside pool bar?

They had a pool but no outdoor bar. However, the San Luis hotel next door is its sister hotel and I am pretty certain you could use their pool and outside bar. This was a happening spot - very loud though.

The first sea day and the second to last night of the cruise.

Now I am doubting myself...might have been the 2nd sea day. I was on vacation so my memory was not fully engaged.

I will agree that Dallas traffic is terrible and getting worse. I think we are running a very close second to Houston. :)

I'll totally agree those people across the county line, they are crazy(I'm in Fort Worth)!!!

That said, I'm cracking up that we are discussing how bad traffic in Dallas and Houston is, on a review post that include a port of call in Jamaica.

I've been to Jamaica twice, once on the Conquest and the other on the Magic. We don't do a lot of excursions and always try to get away from the tourist areas. All I can say is drivers in Jamaica are absolutely insane. I've been to a lot of countries and nothing compares to Jamaica. I wouldn't ever try driving down there myself. I've had more than onc person down there tell me "Traffic signs are just a suggestion".

Edited by wo5m

They had a pool but no outdoor bar. However, the San Luis hotel next door is its sister hotel and I am pretty certain you could use their pool and outside bar. This was a happening spot - very loud though.

Thank you.

Thanks for your review! We're going on the Breeze in December, and I'm so glad to hear your cabin was cool. With the exception of our very first cruise on the Magic, the temperature of the cabin on every cruise has been intolerable and we've had to request a fan every time. :eek:

Thanks for your review! We're going on the Breeze in December, and I'm so glad to hear your cabin was cool. With the exception of our very first cruise on the Magic, the temperature of the cabin on every cruise has been intolerable and we've had to request a fan every time. :eek:

It's really a luck of the draw. I'm on the Breeze right now (Cove Balcony). My cabin is great (has gotten as low as 67° at 11pm, but averages around 69-70°. HOWEVER..... my parents' cabin, three doors down, (Cove Balcony), is a HOT BOX. Thermometer registered as high as 75°. Had a/c technicians look at it TWICE. All they could offer is to crank up the volume of air being pushed out, but it's still HOT !!!!!!! (No fans available on the whole ship. They were all loaned out!!!!) 😳

image.jpg.2ef5ec9082442955bd6b59ce9c40eb54.jpg

Edited by TowMater

Thank you for this review.

We are taking this ship and cruise in August. This will be our first cruise and we also will be on Deck 7. Am feeling a little overwhelmed right now with all the decisions and options. Nope scratch that, ALOT overwhelmed.:eek::eek:

I wouldn't worry - you will have a great vacation! I have not been on deck 7 on the Breeze, but was on Deck 7 on her sister ship the Magic out of Galveston and it is a GREAT cabin location. You can be as busy or as laid back as you want. Bon Voyage! People will be more than happy to answer your questions as they come up.

Do you feel like deck 7 was to close to the lani? I am worried and thinking of moving up for our March cruise.

We were in a suite on Deck 7 on the Magic and didn't think it was too close at all. I think that is our favorite location on the ship. I'm sure it will be also on the Breeze

LisaH, Hi! When you return you might want to consider this as an alternate route. May take a little longer (but not if Houston traffic is bad) somewhat scenic, you go over several bridges, so lots of water views. and pass the Kema Boardwalk. As you are approaching Houston, take I-10 East towards Baytown. Just as you are almost through Baytown, take 146 S. towards Galveston. You will end up on I-45 S. just a few miles from Galveston. We do this in reverse, when we want to go anywhere North of Houston.:)