Alaska Round Trip From Los Angeles in 2018!

KruzPrincess

LOL. I think you missed my reason for saying that. You put down

We just booked our second ever cruise for September 2107 to Alaska on the Grand from San Francisco.

I just think booking a cruise 90 years out is a long time. You are very optimistic about still being able to cruise then LOL.

OOOPS! LOL!

I couldn't figure out why you needed to reply to my thank you, till I saw the big red highlight! :) :D

THANK YOU!!! This is perfect for us. We've been wanting an Alaskan cruise from LA, but I never thought it would actually happen. (Just like I thought a RT Panama Canal Cruise would ever happen. LOL. Wrong on both counts.)

We are booked!!! April is a little early in the season - and weather in the Pacific NW can be unpredictable, but it will be worth it. Seas probably won't be any worse than our April Pacific Coastal this year that had the Captain saying things like gale force winds and 15-foot waves as we traveled from LA to SF. We even stayed overnight in SF rather than brave the winds by leaving at 11 PM. Next day, everything was smoooooth sailing.

Anyway - really looking forward to this one. It will be our 4th Alaskan cruise. All the rest have been late in the year, usually the last cruise of the season. Will be different to be on the first.

Thanks again...

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I'll see you over on the roll call.

We did the Hawaii cruise once from Princess, we couldn't stand having that many sea days- just didn't work for us, although many people obviously are fine with that. I can handle (and enjoy) 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise,3 or 4 on a 10 day cruise- But 6 sea days for Alaska, are just too many for us, sadly--- I would love to do a coastal from Los Angeles heading north- would love to do that back to back if ever offered.

• 1 month later...
While I was on a cruise to Hawaii a while back I met a woman who was asking everyone to sign a petition asking Princess to do an Alaska cruise out of Los Angeles. I signed and thought it sounded great, but doubted that Princess would ever do this. WELL..... Princess must have listened! There is a 12 night Alaska cruise sailing April 27, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. Bookings just opened today. I'm posting this for people who like to sail out of Southern CA. I don't want you all to miss this opportunity. I'm guessing this is a test by Princess to see how well it sells. BTW, it follows the 28 day Tahiti, Somoa, Hawaii cruise. That would be an awesome B2B!!

This is really great news as we were looking for something a little different than Alaska out of Seattle. RT LA, a longer time at Vancouver, BC and the added sea days sound just fantastic to us.

However, we are already booked on the Emerald for Oct 2017 Hawaii, Samoa & Tahiti so we couldn't do it as a B2B. ;) But we just asked our TA to check in to it for us. Thanks.

Just Mike

I don't think anyone who has booked this has expectations that it'll be a warm weather cruise. If it's warm, that'll be icing on the cake. The reality is that it could be snowing or it could be 60-degrees. I'll pack layers and be prepared. Love the sea days. I've been on other cold weather cruises when even the covered pool area was too cold. It won't be worse than those. :)

Our 1st cruise was the Inside Passage out of Seattle in early May. The weather was just exactly what we expected when we were at Tracy Arms! Other than that it was much warmer like you said. Looking forward to this possibility.

Just Mike

As someone who doesn't live near LA - this doesn't interest me at all.

I would rather fly to YVR and spend the 2 weeks sailing in Alaska with out all the sea days and see the ports and glaciers 2x. Far more scenic for me.

I can see the attraction if you're in the Southern CA area but otherwise I'm with Coral. With a B2B its 2 more days and a far better route.

Just got off the phone with my lady at Princess. Did manage to get one of my favorite cabins on the Plaza deck and it did cost me a little more than usual but not having to fly and, stay over night in hotel before cruise, makes it so worth it for me. I have never booked a cruise this far out before so it will be interesting. She did say that this was a test to see the amount of interest in this itinerary and so far so good...........:D

Booked in our favorite cabin.

It's funny. My coffee shop buddy and I have been discussing a L.A.-Alaska-L.A. cruise for several months. We thought a 14-day cruise would be great--add stops in say Seattle, Astoria and San Francisco.

OK. Obviously, Princess was listening in our our conversation and what they came up with is close enough for me.

:)

Although not a round trip out of Los Angeles, Norwegian has a 14-day Alaskan cruise from San Francisco next May that hits some interesting and unique ports PLUS three major glaciers.

I prefer to cruise on Princess, but we have booked this cruise to use a 50% credit we received following a one-day delay on our NCL Hawaiian cruise this past March.

14-Day Ultimate Alaska from San Francisco

Mon San Francisco, California (EMBARK) 5:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed
Astoria, Oregon
8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu At Sea

Fri
Ketchikan, Alaska

Sat
Cruise past Sawyer Glacier

Juneau, Alaska
2:00 pm 10:00 pm

Sun
Cruise Glacier Bay

Mon
Skagway, Alaska
7:00 am 9:00 pm

Tue
Icy Strait Point, Alaska
8:00 am 5:00 pm

Wed
Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Thu
Sitka, Alaska
7:00 am 4:00 pm

Fri
Prince Rupert, British Columbia
1:00 pm 10:00 pm

Sat Cruise Inside Passage

Sun
Nanaimo, British Columbia
8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon
Vancouver, British Columbia
(DISEMBARK) 8:00 am

Edited by AryMay

Although not a round trip out of Los Angeles, Norwegian has a 14-day Alaskan cruise from San Francisco next May that hits some interesting and unique ports PLUS three major glaciers.

I prefer to cruise on Princess, but we have booked this cruise to use a 50% credit we received following a one-day delay on our NCL Hawaiian cruise this past March.

Tue At Sea

Wed
Astoria, Oregon

Thu At Sea

Fri
Ketchikan, Alaska

Sat

Juneau, Alaska

Sun
Cruise Glacier Bay

Mon
Skagway, Alaska

Tue
Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Wed
Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Thu
Sitka, Alaska

Fri

Sun

Mon

Wow great itinerary! Hopefully this is the start of a trend of longer Alaska sailings from California :D

Wow great itinerary! Hopefully this is the start of a trend of longer Alaska sailings from California :D

And if time and money weren't an issue (which they are ;)) I would string together a few cruises on the Norwegian Sun before the 14-day Alaskan cruise to make a wonderful adventure starting in Rio de Janeiro!

March 31 - 10 nights

Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires

April 10 - 15 nights

Buenos Aires to Santiago

April 25 - 20 nights

Santiago to San Francisco

May 15 - 14 nights

San Francisco - Vancouver (Alaskan cruise)

A total of 59 days without repeating any ports and at prices much less than what world cruise segments usually sell for! BUT...after the frustration of dealing with NCL's customer service for the last several months (or lack thereof :rolleyes:) I am ready to return to Princess!

• 4 months later...

Tue At Sea

Wed
Astoria, Oregon

Thu At Sea

Fri
Ketchikan, Alaska

Sat

Juneau, Alaska

Sun
Cruise Glacier Bay

Mon
Skagway, Alaska

Tue
Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Wed
Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Thu
Sitka, Alaska

Fri

Sun

Mon

This does sound wonderful. I wish it was princess or celebrity and I would book it in a heartbeat! How good or bad is Norwegian?

This does sound wonderful. I wish it was princess or celebrity and I would book it in a heartbeat! How good or bad is Norwegian?

This will only be our 2nd time on Norwegian so I'm probably not a good judge of how the cruiseline is overall. In fact, we booked this cruise to use a very large credit that we got following our Pride of America cruise to Hawaii.

We were on the first Hawaiian cruise following a drydock in San Francisco and the ship left a day late due to construction not being completed. Luckily we were still able to make all of our ports as scheduled, but work continued on the ship for the duration (10 days) of the cruise which made certain areas of the ship unusable. There were also issues in the dining rooms during the cruise as they were implementing all new menus. We were given a refund to cover our expenses for the extra day prior to the cruise in San Francisco and to cover the cruise fare for missed day.

In spite of the problems, I can say that the staff & crew were great (although they were probably trying to compensate for all of the other issues!)

While I was on a cruise to Hawaii a while back I met a woman who was asking everyone to sign a petition asking Princess to do an Alaska cruise out of Los Angeles. I signed and thought it sounded great, but doubted that Princess would ever do this. WELL..... Princess must have listened! There is a 12 night Alaska cruise sailing April 27, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. Bookings just opened today. I'm posting this for people who like to sail out of Southern CA. I don't want you all to miss this opportunity. I'm guessing this is a test by Princess to see how well it sells. BTW, it follows the 28 day Tahiti, Somoa, Hawaii cruise. That would be an awesome B2B!!

If I wanted to do an Alaska cruise (been there, done it twice, that was enough), I would want to cruise in Alaska and not waste half of my cruise time cruising in California, Oregon and Washington getting to Alaska.

DON