Pure selfish

Dajo5601

If you leave the pool area then Yes, you should lose your chair. If you step out of line while waiting for lunch, do you expect all the rest of us hogs to just let you back in your place? What do people expect? I want to know if your rules differ from others so when I run into you I can bend them your way.

I shall become a Chair Policeman next Cruise and if you want to save one you have to solicit my service.

Edited by WupperAV

The only problem with removing item from chairs that you believe are taken by chair hogs is how do you really know how long they've been gone. I'm all in favor of removing towels & articles from unused chairs when people are gone for a long time but when you just arrive at the pool & there appears to be a vacant chair you don't really know for how long.

Does everyone just stand around for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for them to return?

It does present a problem.

I'll generally "hang" for close to an hour & then swoop in.

It doesn't always work that way. You're counting on that person's observations & most times they're not counting minutes when someone's gone. It could be 15 minutes, 30 or 45. Who knows? I usually go for lunch at the buffet which could be as long as 25-30 minutes & when I briefly return I go in the pool for 15 minutes. It might mean my chair is vacant for quite a while till I actually sit down. Does that mean I should give up my chair? :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not giving up my chair because I'm gone for periods of time.

I've tried vacating my seat & it doesn't always work since there are so many people who don't play by any rules.

There's not really a good solution to solving the problem.

I'll take your chair if you go to the buffet! I mean how inconsiderate of you! Have someone BRING you food from the buffet. You lose all rights to that chair once you've left, sorry.

I'll generally "hang" for close to an hour & then swoop in.

I watch for a short while then speak with people around the chairs in question. When I hear comments like, "we have been here since or they left for lunch around..." Depending on what neighbors have to say will let me judge if the chairs are really available or not.

I have taken chairs a couple times, used for a couple hrs and THEN have pissy people turn up demanding their chairs ;) can I say that did not happen!

My other favorite trick is to simply move a sunny chair into the shade and an hour later the Chair Hogs come back to empty spaces with no chairs :) now that's a funny thing to watch play out!!

Edited by JVilleGal

It doesn't always work that way. You're counting on that person's observations & most times they're not counting minutes when someone's gone. It could be 15 minutes, 30 or 45. Who knows? I usually go for lunch at the buffet which could be as long as 25-30 minutes & when I briefly return I go in the pool for 15 minutes. It might mean my chair is vacant for quite a while till I actually sit down. Does that mean I should give up my chair? :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not giving up my chair because I'm gone for periods of time.

I've tried vacating my seat & it doesn't always work since there are so many people who don't play by any rules.

There's not really a good solution to solving the problem.

If you're going to lunch, you're not using the chair. Sorry. It's one thing to have your towel on a chair while you're in the pool or while you go to the nearby restroom. If you're leaving your spouse behind and just grabbing a plate of food at the Horizon (which may take 5 to 15 minutes tops) and return with your food to eat at your deck chair, that's considered okay. But to actually eat a meal in the Horizon, you're using a chair here. You don't need to have a chair by the pool at the same time. Major difference.

Last Feb on the Ruby, DW and I were enjoying the view from the stern. We were standing at the rail because all loungers were "reserved". Nobody was in them. We were there for at least 2 leisurely drinks (an acceptable unit of time on a cruise) when two mid 30's girls arrived from HC with plates. They looked at waves and one proudly commented to the other while pointing, "Those are our loungers right there." Then they turned and left.

After their departure, their paperback books and towels mysteriously disappeared.

Cheers

Good for you.

In defense, I'd say being gone to eat for 30 minutes is well outside the chaise-porcine phylum. The scenario being: you've been sitting in the lounger all morning, get up to eat, leaving your princess bag with various goodies inside, after eating you return to the lounger by the pool (gone 29.9 minutes), remove your cover up and lay that on the lounger, kick off flip-flops, put on hat and sunglasses, check/rearrange your stuff, then go to paddle in the pool for 15 minutes.

Does not sound like in this scenario, to me, that one should "give up" the chair or be considered as "reserving" loungers or being called a chair hog.

I am a firm proponent of the notion that towel(s) by themselves laying on a lounger do not indicate that "you'll be right back". I've seen too many occurrences of folks obviously picking up their stuff, taking off and just leaving towels behind.

Edited by Ferd Berfle

I'll take your chair if you go to the buffet! I mean how inconsiderate of you! Have someone BRING you food from the buffet. You lose all rights to that chair once you've left, sorry.

By the same scenario if a person leaves his chair and goes in the in the water for 30 minutes does the same rule apply? (which I do quite often)

I can go to the buffet when it first opens, eat my lunch and be back in the chair in less than the 30 minute allotted time.

From what you're implying is that it make a difference as to why you leave the chair when it should be relinquished.

You make it sound that every chair is open season at any time there's no one sitting in it.

It's strange how each person can interpret the rules to fit their circumstances.

Why can't cruise ships have a 30 min.(45,60) clock available for use. When you pick it up the deckhand or whoever winds it up then hands it to you to place on your chair/lounger. When time is up a loud ringer will sound letting you know that this spot is now available.

By the same scenario if a person leaves his chair and goes in the in the water for 30 minutes does the same rule apply? (which I do quite often)

I can go to the buffet when it first opens, eat my lunch and be back in the chair in less than the 30 minute allotted time.

From what you're implying is that it make a difference as to why you leave the chair when it should be relinquished.

You make it sound that every chair is open season at any time there's no one sitting in it.

It's strange how each person can interpret the rules to fit their circumstances.

My beef is not whether someone goes for lunch and leaves their stuff be it 30 minutes or 35, it's those folks that come out early in the morning (or nana does it) and mark off chairs with towels, a throwaway book and a tube of sun screen. Then they go for breakfast, do some shopping, go for a cooking class then around 11 wander out the the pool without a care in the world knowing they have a chair already for their use. Couple of hours in the sun then it's lunch and a nap then at 2 wander back for some more sun. Quite often they will have another activity that came up so they just grab their book and sunscreen and leave, leaving the towel for others to guess whether the chair is occupied.

Last cruise I took off my tee shirt and tossed it an empty lounge. I tripped on a chair stuck into the aisle. Had quite a bleed. Was several hours by the time I got back from sick bay. There my tee was still sitting there. That lounge was unoccupied for several hours by a no nothing garment. How many people walked by a very prime spot because it was "occupied". Great example of why pool attendants should be more alert and should have removed my shirt after an hour at the minimum.

Why can't cruise ships have a 30 min.(45,60) clock available for use. When you pick it up the deckhand or whoever winds it up then hands it to you to place on your chair/lounger. When time is up a loud ringer will sound letting you know that this spot is now available.

So when the alarm goes off and wakes me from a deep REM sleep I have to get up and leave? Isn't the alarm designated for chairs that are unattended? Then we would now have 50 alarm clocks going off at the same time?

How long did it take to come up with this solution?

Another situation that's bad is when a person decides to leave their chair with their towel laying on it assuming the pool attendant will take care of removing it. It can lie there for hours so no one else can possibly use the chair.

The attendants have to many things to do to keep track of who's gone & how long a chair has been vacant.

....and no, a timer wouldn't work.

I watch for a short while then speak with people around the chairs in question. When I hear comments like, "we have been here since or they left for lunch around..." Depending on what neighbors have to say will let me judge if the chairs are really available or not.

I have taken chairs a couple times, used for a couple hrs and THEN have pissy people turn up demanding their chairs ;) can I say that did not happen!

My other favorite trick is to simply move a sunny chair into the shade and an hour later the Chair Hogs come back to empty spaces with no chairs :) now that's a funny thing to watch play out!!

Sounds like a great idea!

As I've said many times, I wait close to an hour to take a chair. I'll ask pax sitting nearby how long it's been vacant. If it's been an hour they lose their seat. If I go in the pool. I usually do so near the time I wish to leave. Personally, I seldom leave anything on the seat. If I do, I actually leave a note saying when I left & when I'll return(always less than 30 min.)

In defense, I'd say being gone to eat for 30 minutes is well outside the chaise-porcine phylum. The scenario being: you've been sitting in the lounger all morning, get up to eat, leaving your princess bag with various goodies inside, after eating you return to the lounger by the pool (gone 29.9 minutes), remove your cover up and lay that on the lounger, kick off flip-flops, put on hat and sunglasses, check/rearrange your stuff, then go to paddle in the pool for 15 minutes.

Does not sound like in this scenario, to me, that one should "give up" the chair or be considered as "reserving" loungers or being called a chair hog.

I am a firm proponent of the notion that towel(s) by themselves laying on a lounger do not indicate that "you'll be right back". I've seen too many occurrences of folks obviously picking up their stuff, taking off and just leaving towels behind.

You sound like a research scientist! Great analyzing job.

You've nailed it. If more people would exercise common courtesy and common sense, there would be no need for a 10 page thread on this. (Although sadly, I guess courtesy & sense are becoming more uncommon that common.) This shouldn't be so hard. Go the pool area when you actually want to be there, leave chair in short increments of time to grab food & bev or cool off in the pool, and when you're done, take your towels and go! (Sorry, my pet peeve is folks who leave towels when they aren't coming back. There are bins conveniently placed by the pool. It's not hard. I also despise people who litter, so this may be an extension of that! LOL!) If everyone would adhere to this "policy", there really wouldn't be much of an issue.

15 minutes and that's it. If they are not there then the towel gets taken off. I am frankly fed up with chair hogs. I have seen people "reserving" a pool chair at 7:00 am and not returning until the afternoon. Well I do the same as others, if its unoccupied for 15 minutes and I need the chair because there are no others, I take the towel off. Too bad, so sad!

While I totally agree with you that if someone is hogging the chair then I remove the towel as well, but 15 min is not enough time to say they are hogging the chair.

Most cruise lines, including Princess say the limit is 30 min.

I have seen it take me close to 20-25 min just to go to the ladies room and then go grab a slice of pizza and a drink when it's a sea day. There are line ups at each one of those locations on a sea day.

I love this!! I am going to have to try that sometime.

Space can be found, it's the lounge chairs that are hogged :)

I move chairs all the time when I have to (into what shade I can find) & they have most of the area covered pretty good. If it gets really tough to get a lounge seat I'll settle for a table chair which I can usually find somewhere on deck.

Considering the number of people who have been interested in this (more than 14,000 at this time) how come are the rules not implemented by Princess?

I understand that the "regular" crew might be a bit "shy" about enforcing the "law" but what about the security staff?

:eek:

What right does any Pax have on that specific deck chair? Exactly! None! Go swimming, loose your lounge chair. Go potty, loose your lounge chair. Leave to eat, loose your lounge chair.

If this mentality was used everyone would have a place to lounge. Think of all the available lounge chairs.