One Loyalty Program for all Carnival brands

Luke Dawg

Carnival needs to understand us 40 somethings have more choices. As we get older we see other lines as better fits. We can move to Royal or Celebrity just as easily as HAL or Princess.

Of course Carnival understands that. Obviously Carnival is satisfied with the number of repeat guests they are getting. The problem is not with Carnival, the problem is with the customer who has matured out of the Carnival market and fails to realize it. Carnival knows what it is doing.

There are plenty of dissatisfied customers with Royal, etc., looking to try other cruise lines. HAL and Princess, and for that matter Carnival, certainly pick up some of those.

CCL has a robust CRM database. It is Business 101 to retain all your current customers. They know the penny pinchers from the ones who walk off the cruise with a sizable S&S accounts. It makes sense to entice maturing customers where ever they are in the customer lifecyle to other cruise experiences within in their control.

Of course Carnival understands that. Obviously Carnival is satisfied with the number of repeat guests they are getting. The problem is not with Carnival, the problem is with the customer who has matured out of the Carnival market and fails to realize it. Carnival knows what it is doing.

There are plenty of dissatisfied customers with Royal, etc., looking to try other cruise lines. HAL and Princess, and for that matter Carnival, certainly pick up some of those.

why do you think customers are expected to mature out of carnival and on to another line :confused: carnival has the best food and entertainment of the type i prefer at the price i want to pay and there is nothing to mature to from there. i can pay more, much more and get a few extra things that may or may not make my cruise better but why when i can get what i want from carnival and do it more often with the usually lower prices.

and to think people who still like carnival after multiple cruises with them haven't 'matured' and have a problem is just plain silly at best.

why do you think customers are expected to mature out of carnival and on to another line :confused: carnival has the best food and entertainment of the type i prefer at the price i want to pay and there is nothing to mature to from there. i can pay more, much more and get a few extra things that may or may not make my cruise better but why when i can get what i want from carnival and do it more often with the usually lower prices.

and to think people who still like carnival after multiple cruises with them haven't 'matured' and have a problem is just plain silly at best.

We still like Carnival but have reached the point where we are getting bored with the Caribbean and want to see the world.

Have found that Princess does a very good job in Europe and wish we could use our loyalty level there.

I'm not even sure it is completely about maturing out of the product. There are itineraries that just aren't available on Carnival that are on sister lines. My wife and I will be looking at Alaska in the next couple of years and Carnival just doesn't cut it there. Why Carnival corporation wouldn't want my money for that cruise for the cost of priority boarding is beyond me.

If they cannot figure out how to do this maybe they should hire somebody away from the Hilton brands that have already done it. Or insert name of any hotel brand here.....

Carnival makes changes and adapts to their target market (novice cruisers). If you are okay with the changes and can adapt with them, great. If not, move on.

I'm not even sure it is completely about maturing out of the product. There are itineraries that just aren't available on Carnival that are on sister lines. My wife and I will be looking at Alaska in the next couple of years and Carnival just doesn't cut it there. Why Carnival corporation wouldn't want my money for that cruise for the cost of priority boarding is beyond me.

If they cannot figure out how to do this maybe they should hire somebody away from the Hilton brands that have already done it. Or insert name of any hotel brand here.....

There are only so many Alaskan cruises allowed and cruise lines bid on them. HAL and Princess are already the two best cruise lines for Alaska. Why in the world would Carnival Corp want to compete with itself more than it already does?

Carnival sends one ship to Alaska and it does well.

Alaskan (and European) itineraries are no justification for a common loyalty program. If anything, they are reasons to keep them separate.

It doesn't sound horrible at all. It's factual.

You wouldn't be happy that someone could be collecting economy air miles and then think its ok to exchange them for a business class flight would you.

I usually fly as cheap as possible but accumulated enough miles to fly First to Australia for free

When Arnold Donald first took over, there was a press release where he stated that he wanted to combine loyalty programs. We see what happened to that!

Now RCI is a different matter, as they have less cruise lines. Thus, being "Elite" on Celebrity, I joined the RCCL C&A society and instantly became "Diamond", and I have yet to sail them!

Now let's look at this to extremes. Let's say you are "Platinum" on CCL, and I am Platinum on Cunard. What level would you expect to be on Cunard, and don't even think of saying "Platinum". I'm not a snob, and not bragging, but on my over a dozen Cunard cruises including 3 TAs, I have probably spent as much as over 30+ CCL cruises. One alone was $15,000, and not in a suite either. Thus, some can view it not just as "points", but $$$$$ spent.

Frankly, I would resent a CCL Platinum to become Platinum on Cunard.

If you want to try the upscale CCL brands, then just go on them, and if you like them, then continue to establish your points.

Now, if I went on CCL, based on my Cunard status, I would expect to become Platinum instantly! However, the reverse will not work.

I do not understand how some "perks" will get someone to try another cruise line in the family, especially if that line costs 2-4++ times more, and with Cunard, demands proper evening dress (bring a suit or tux, guys).

RCI is one thing, but I do not see this happening with Carnival.

Nomex suit on! :D

My last crossing on QE2 I was forced to pay an extra $6 because they had the nerve to move me from a MO to a QO LOL:D

There are only so many Alaskan cruises allowed and cruise lines bid on them. HAL and Princess are already the two best cruise lines for Alaska. Why in the world would Carnival Corp want to compete with itself more than it already does?

Carnival sends one ship to Alaska and it does well.

Alaskan (and European) itineraries are no justification for a common loyalty program. If anything, they are reasons to keep them separate.

I don't really need help figuring out who cruises where and how to determine how they get their slots. That wasn't the point. Alaska was an example of the larger issue. Why wouldn't Carnival Corporation want to keep cruisers in the family as they move between lines for whatever reason.

this is what i don't get. it sounds like people are cruising for the benefits instead of cruising for the cruise. i agree, there are other lines that do alaska better which is why i sailed ncl for my alaska cruise. the benefits or lack thereof had no bearing on who i sailed with, only the itinerary and the price. again, i'll state, maybe all cruise lines should save some money and dump the benefits in their entirety and people will just start cruising whichever line fits their needs for a particular cruise.

First time cruisers do spend a lot more than veteran ones. As long as they can fill their ships with favorable pricing guess they think there is no reason to adjust loyalty programs.

Remember the last time they did it how much was taken away.

But Mr Bluster said the changes were BRILLIANT :D :eek:

Carnival makes changes and adapts to their target market (novice cruisers). If you are okay with the changes and can adapt with them, great. If not, move on.

if i didn't think i was getting a great cruise for a great price, i wouldn't be sailing on the line. it's most likely probably that since i couldn't care less about benefits that i have sailed 5 different lines because i pick the line and cruise that fits my needs. granted, carnival has benefited most from my cruising but even then still only have taken me on 9 of my 18 cruises. rccl, hal, princess, ncl, and the us navy have taken me where carnival could not.

this is what i don't get. it sounds like people are cruising for the benefits instead of cruising for the cruise. i agree, there are other lines that do alaska better which is why i sailed ncl for my alaska cruise. the benefits or lack thereof had no bearing on who i sailed with, only the itinerary and the price. again, i'll state, maybe all cruise lines should save some money and dump the benefits in their entirety and people will just start cruising whichever line fits their needs for a particular cruise.

At the end of the day I am going to take the best itinerary for the money. But if I can get that itinerary with priority boarding as an example I'm going to do it. Not all perks are important to me. I don't really care about the Diamond/Platinum party or the gift. I enjoy the laundry benefit but it doesn't make or break the cruise.

I don't really need help figuring out who cruises where and how to determine how they get their slots. That wasn't the point. Alaska was an example of the larger issue. Why wouldn't Carnival Corporation want to keep cruisers in the family as they move between lines for whatever reason.

Carnival is not turning down repeat business. I imagine they don't want to offend the loyal passengers on their other cruise lines by allowing Carnival riff raff an easier path to elite status than they had. It is the riff raff that wants exchange privileges with the upper crust and not the other way around.

Beyond that, product differentiation is necessary among the various Carnival Cruise Lines or why have them? The target markets are different.

Carnival is not turning down repeat business. I imagine they don't want to offend the loyal passengers on their other cruise lines by allowing Carnival riff raff an easier path to elite status than they had. It is the riff raff that wants exchange privileges with the upper crust and not the other way around.

Beyond that, product differentiation is necessary among the various Carnival Cruise Lines or why have them? The target markets are different.

Riff raff??

Riff raff??

What??? Are they saying they don't want me on the other lines because that is my legal name after all! ....Just kidding.

That said, when I first read this I thought that couldn't be the case because if they wanted to keep the so called "Riff raff" it doesn't stop me from booking at cruise with them. I'd still Riff raff, just the blue card equivalent Riff raff.

However, on the flip side I could see people gaming it must like they did old Carnival VIP program. If you remember you had people who would stack up 10 two, three or five day cruises to become platinum, but the people who went on on 7 or 10+ day cruises missed out even though they had much more time at Sea.

Edited by wo5m

What??? Are they saying they don't want me on the other lines because that is my legal name after all! ....Just kidding.

That said, when I first read this I thought that couldn't be the case because if they wanted to keep the so called "Riff raff" it doesn't stop me from booking at cruise with them. I'd still Riff raff, just the blue card equivalent Riff raff.

However, on the flip side I could see people gaming it must like they did old Carnival VIP program. If you remember you had people who would stack up 10 two, three or five day cruises to become platinum, but the people who went on on 7 or 10+ day cruises missed out even though they had much more time at Sea.

You can still play that game on Princess. Their loyalty program is based on number of cruises or days at sea. Princess has some short cruises and awards double points if you cruise single or in a suite. You can be Elite in no time and probably cheaper than reaching Diamond on Carnival.

Loyal HAL cruisers probably don't want any of that riff raff, either.

Its not cruising for the benefits, its if you have two options and all else being equal, it can definitely break that difference

Let's make some noise about this. It is long over due.

I am starting this thread in the hope Carnival Corp will consider combining the loyalty programs of all their cruise brands. I am a frequent Carnival cruiser. I am proud to say I have earned Platinum level with Carnival. Recently my small group booked a November cruise on Princess. This will be our first Princess cruise and we are all looking forward to a new cruise experience. When asked by my PVP why we chose Princess, my reply back was "I wanted to keep it in the family". I have been thinking about what I said "keeping it in the family" and with much thought have come to the conclusion that Carnival Corp. may not feel the same way. Carnival Corp. benefits from my loyalty in terms of market share and profits. So my question is "When will Carnival Corp. combine all their loyalty programs?" My wife and I enjoy priority check-in, boarding and debarkation, appreciation drink, dedicated line at Guest Services, complimentary wash and fold to mention a few. I believe these benefits could easily be recognized on all CCL brands.

As you know combining loyalty programs are not uncommon. It is widely known the Airline industry has been very successful in combining frequent flyer programs. In fact creating one program is the first order of business when carriers merge or enter into a marketing relationship.

Let's go Carnival Corp - one program for ALL!

How will this help me in any way? We're platinum on Carnival and Elite on Princess. If you're platinum on Princess, you won't get the free laundry and the other perks just like I don't get 250 free minutes of the internet on Carnival, free mini bar, etc. I don't see any changes at all coming forth. I'll stay more loyal to Princess due to the better perks. Pay the price like we all did and get the perks.

How will this help me in any way? We're platinum on Carnival and Elite on Princess. If you're platinum on Princess, you won't get the free laundry and the other perks just like I don't get 250 free minutes of the internet on Carnival, free mini bar, etc. I don't see any changes at all coming forth. I'll stay more loyal to Princess due to the better perks. Pay the price like we all did and get the perks.

Your one of the few to be up there on both. Wish we started a few years earlier on Princess so we could be up there on both.