One Loyalty Program for all Carnival brands

Luke Dawg

It doesn't sound horrible at all. It's factual.

You wouldn't be happy that someone could be collecting economy air miles and then think its ok to exchange them for a business class flight would you.

Although I understand your point.....your example is not the best....as an AA frequent flyer (Platinum)...most air miles are actually accumulated in Coach or Economy and then we use those miles to either get another economy ticket, or a business class / first class ticket. We also get upgrade stickers that are earned in coach and we use those to get first class upgrades if seats are available.

On the original subject after cruising both lines, I don't think it is wise at all to combine the programs. Most people who cruise on Princess pay significantly more (not all the time) than those who cruise on Carnival. If they were to combine the programs, they would need to probably convert to some sort of points based system, and give more points based upon what is paid. If not, and it were like for like, Princess would lose a ton of business. Just my $.02

It doesn't sound horrible at all. It's factual.

You wouldn't be happy that someone could be collecting economy air miles and then think its ok to exchange them for a business class flight would you.

That's a bad analogy, this happens all the time and I've even done it, Beijing to Washington DC, best usage of miles yet!

hi everyone

It might be nice but you don't know that. You might like a merging of programs if you could get all the same perks that you now get with Carnival when you cruise another Carnival brand, but what if they didn't offer you the same perks? They could say your platinum on Carnival would get you a free bag of laundry on Princess and on Cunard just a welcome drink and only another five cruises before you would actually get something worth smiling about? Would you be happy with that or complain?

As a Carnival cruiser you are considered a past guest for all Carnival brands in pricing. That could be worth real money on any given cruise. If you are Carnival shareholder you would be getting an OBC for all your cruises, all brands. Also if you had bought these shares when you started cruising you would have benefited well from your support of the cruise line.

The reason to cruise a particular cruise line is not for the perks but for the value to you in itinerary, service, and overall experience. If you want to try something else go ahead and enjoy, but it should be for the above reasons.

whichever brand you choose

have a great cruise

That's a bad analogy, this happens all the time and I've even done it, Beijing to Washington DC, best usage of miles yet!

And there are many more who simply just do mileage runs.....when an international flight goes on sale really cheap...some jump on it simply for the miles they accrue....24 hours, fly 20,000 miles....and if you are lucky enough to have double or triple accelerators, it makes it even better.

When Arnold Donald first took over, there was a press release where he stated that he wanted to combine loyalty programs. We see what happened to that!

Now RCI is a different matter, as they have less cruise lines. Thus, being "Elite" on Celebrity, I joined the RCCL C&A society and instantly became "Diamond", and I have yet to sail them!

Now let's look at this to extremes. Let's say you are "Platinum" on CCL, and I am Platinum on Cunard. What level would you expect to be on Cunard, and don't even think of saying "Platinum". I'm not a snob, and not bragging, but on my over a dozen Cunard cruises including 3 TAs, I have probably spent as much as over 30+ CCL cruises. One alone was $15,000, and not in a suite either. Thus, some can view it not just as "points", but $$$$$ spent.

Frankly, I would resent a CCL Platinum to become Platinum on Cunard.

If you want to try the upscale CCL brands, then just go on them, and if you like them, then continue to establish your points.

Now, if I went on CCL, based on my Cunard status, I would expect to become Platinum instantly! However, the reverse will not work.

I do not understand how some "perks" will get someone to try another cruise line in the family, especially if that line costs 2-4++ times more, and with Cunard, demands proper evening dress (bring a suit or tux, guys).

RCI is one thing, but I do not see this happening with Carnival.

Nomex suit on! :D

Respectfully disagree - American and Jetblue created a reciprocal agreement for the NY market, they never merged. It can be done, there are million more airline passenger than cruisers.

Administratively it makes sense and falls within Arnold Donald's vision of collaboration and efficiencies savings. Think about it 10 brands = 10 loyalty departments.

I would like to see it happen..it would definitely make an incentive for people to go luxury or premium level "within the family" first. It seems like they could do something to make the more luxury levels cost more to earn etc. And reversely, folks who take whole family and generations may want Carnival over Cunard and can get a few extra perks etc. It seems there would be a way to make the most people happy.

I can't travel much but join every thing I do. It is amazing what little things happen...2 years ago was able to spend a few months in Oregon and used and earned perks at multiple hotels..learned some more about budget ones easier to find on my road route..I think they could do it to make most happy and make it fair.

Free laundry on Princess happens once you hit Elite (150days or 15 cruise credits). Takes 3 days to get back. Find it easier (and quicker) to do it ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow....I guess they figure it is really for longer cruises only they want to do it..wow..I always bring more undies than needed.....lol....

The one for all policy doesn't allow perks to be tailored to the brand experience. I used to be for it but think it's better to leave it alone if they make one it will likely dissapoint us all. Be careful what you wish for.... You might get it.

When Arnold Donald first took over, there was a press release where he stated that he wanted to combine loyalty programs. We see what happened to that!

Now RCI is a different matter, as they have less cruise lines. Thus, being "Elite" on Celebrity, I joined the RCCL C&A society and instantly became "Diamond", and I have yet to sail them!

Now let's look at this to extremes. Let's say you are "Platinum" on CCL, and I am Platinum on Cunard. What level would you expect to be on Cunard, and don't even think of saying "Platinum". I'm not a snob, and not bragging, but on my over a dozen Cunard cruises including 3 TAs, I have probably spent as much as over 30+ CCL cruises. One alone was $15,000, and not in a suite either. Thus, some can view it not just as "points", but $$$$$ spent.

If you want to try the upscale CCL brands, then just go on them, and if you like them, then continue to establish your points.

Now, if I went on CCL, based on my Cunard status, I would expect to become Platinum instantly! However, the reverse will not work.

I do not understand how some "perks" will get someone to try another cruise line in the family, especially if that line costs 2-4++ times more, and with Cunard, demands proper evening dress (bring a suit or tux, guys).

You Cunard people are kinda stuffy. Lol. Keep it the way it is

To merge all lines into one Corporate rewards plan. End of discussion.

Shareholders don't care which line you cruise - as long as it is in the Carnival family. That makes them (us) happy.

And it makes sense in so many ways, most of all in then being able to choose the destination you want and plug in that cruise line that goes there.

We are considering Asia next year. Carnival isn't there yet, but Princess, HAL and P&O are. We would love to use one of them and not be confined just to Carnival.

Keeping customers is a priority, or should be, and by extending the rewards plans to all lines, you have a much better chance of having those cruise dollars remaining in house.

I like the idea of dollar days where the amount you spend on the cruise goes into the bank and you draw out what you need for future cruises. Carnival days wont earn as many as Princess or Cunard that is a given, but you choose where you want to earn and use your dollars.

Ask why do they have different brands??. That will answer why the loyalty program shouldn't be all one. If that was the case they would get rid of Cunard, Princess, holland America etc. and just call them all Carnival. They don't because they know that would be a mistake just like one rewards program would be Each brand caters to a different market and the rewards programs can tailor themselves to that market. That's the advantage of capitalism vs communism. Lol

Edited by xeroxme

To merge all lines into one Corporate rewards plan. End of discussion.

Shareholders don't care which line you cruise - as long as it is in the Carnival family. That makes them (us) happy.

And it makes sense in so many ways, most of all in then being able to choose the destination you want and plug in that cruise line that goes there.

We are considering Asia next year. Carnival isn't there yet, but Princess, HAL and P&O are. We would love to use one of them and not be confined just to Carnival.

Keeping customers is a priority, or should be, and by extending the rewards plans to all lines, you have a much better chance of having those cruise dollars remaining in house.

I like the idea of dollar days where the amount you spend on the cruise goes into the bank and you draw out what you need for future cruises. Carnival days wont earn as many as Princess or Cunard that is a given, but you choose where you want to earn and use your dollars.

And it will never happen... Oh wait end of discussion. Way to many variations to seriously consider it as an option.

Well said.....Platinum on Carnival, and Platinum on Princess.....but two of my Princess cruises were in excess of $17,000 each (Baltics and Fjords of Norway - non-suite).....If I were to sail on Cunard, I would fully expect to start at the bottom and work my way up. That being said, my wife and I don't cruise to become Platinum or Diamond or Elite.....we cruise for the itinerary, and the joy that the trip and the ocean brings us.

Ask why do they have different brands??. That will answer why the loyalty program shouldn't be all one. If that was the case they would get rid of Cunard, Princess, holland America etc. and just call them all Carnival. They don't because they know that would be a mistake just like one rewards program would be Each brand caters to a different market and the rewards programs can tailor themselves to that market. That's the advantage of capitalism vs communism. Lol

Then why does Marriott and Hilton keep all the brands separate but utilize one reward program?

Well said.....Platinum on Carnival, and Platinum on Princess.....but two of my Princess cruises were in excess of $17,000 each (Baltics and Fjords of Norway - non-suite).....If I were to sail on Cunard, I would fully expect to start at the bottom and work my way up. That being said, my wife and I don't cruise to become Platinum or Diamond or Elite.....we cruise for the itinerary, and the joy that the trip and the ocean brings us.

Also well said!

I don't cruise for status, it just happened.

One day, I found a Platinum pin in my cabin on Cunard. I was not even expecting it or thought about getting it.

Oy! I guess I've spent enough money with you guys! :D

Edited by loubetti

Remember the majority of cruisers are repeat cruisers, it is crucial to the bottom line to get us back on their ships, not the competitor's

I believe some cruisers fear shared benefits will cause their favorite cruise line to be overrun by spring breakers and tattooed beer drinking bikers. These groups are not travelling on Princess or HAL. I like to have fun, Carnival is a good vacation for me but I also seek a different experience and I am looking forward to our Princess cruise. I would appreciate the company recognizing me for my loyalty.

...How very true. As you can see below, we very much enjoy the Carnival Cruise Line product. As we matured, with my daughters now having graduated college and off starting their own careers, it is time for us to start to look at other lines. So, it seems that the natural progression would be for us to take a look at Princess, keeping it "in the family."

...But, without any Carnival Corporation recognition, it leaves the field open to RCL, X, NCL and MSC among others. With just a small token of appreciation regarding loyalty status, Carnival Corp. could retain a lifelong customer. I can tell you that from talking to many cruisers on board that are around our age (mid-50's) because of, not only the changing demographics of CCL's entry level cruisers, but also we vividly remember what cruising on Carnival used to be, we are all looking to "move on up" regarding our choice of cruise lines.

...I don't think anyone expects Carnival Corp. to merge loyalty programs point for point. Certainly not fair to those with higher status on Princess, HAL or Cunard. But as a dedicated "Carnivalite" and a CCL shareholder, Carnival should do whatever it can to keep their customers "in the family."

Then why does Marriott and Hilton keep all the brands separate but utilize one reward program?

Haha. Good point. And the fact is there is major consolidation in the hotel brand business. After the consolidations choice and perks will go down from the lack of competition.

When you use your points they are gone. When you don't, they expire. Many programs you have to qualify for regularly.

Only some Walmart cruisers want exchange privileges at Saks. You don't see many at the upper tier wanting the opposite.

The whole point of so many cruise lines is to market them differently and loyalty programs are, after all, marketing tools. In reality, it isn't something earned and they aren't sustainable.

We have sailed on RCCL lines including Celebrity, RCCL, and Azamara, and we love the perks that we get because the programs are shared between the lines.

However, in spite of the fact that we are also Platinum Level on both Princess and Carnival, we do not think that the shared plan would work for the different lines owned by Carnival Corporation.

To be blunt, Carnival is a much cheaper line than either Holland America, Princess, or Cunard, and I do feel that there would be much resentment in respect to individuals building up credits on Carnival, only to use them on the other lines.

This may sound horrible, but is probably the reason why Carnival Corp. does not wish to make such programs fleet wide. Sorry

But how would anyone know how I gained my lofty status, unless I told them.

You have to redeem points in the hotel programs to get many of their loyalty benefits. In addition:

You get more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands. So should you get 1 point for Carnival, 2 for Princess, 3 for Cunard?

You need to USE more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands as well. So use 1 points for loyalty benefits on Carnival, 2 points for benefits on Princess...???

Seems like a bit of a hassle and not sure it can ever really be "even'ed" up, particularly as the different lines give you different benefits for their loyalty, based on their regular clientelle

You have to redeem points in the hotel programs to get many of their loyalty benefits. In addition:

You get more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands. So should you get 1 point for Carnival, 2 for Princess, 3 for Cunard?

You need to USE more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands as well. So use 1 points for loyalty benefits on Carnival, 2 points for benefits on Princess...???

Seems like a bit of a hassle and not sure it can ever really be "even'ed" up, particularly as the different lines give you different benefits for their loyalty, based on their regular clientelle

Not to mention the reservations and booking systems aren't linked