Non drinker Cheers program?

sheila59

personally, i wish they would offer a beer and wine only option like rccl does. but they don't and i still like to cruise with carnival and therefore i live with those limitations without complaining. not saying you're complaining but there are many others that complain why carnival isn't more like this and that. in my opinion, if someone wants things the way other lines do them then they should just sail those lines and then they won't have anything to complain about.

Nailed it!!!!

Edited by First and Ten

Sorry, but I don't see it as ridiculous. These boards are full of people looking for ways to circumvent the rules. How many threads have we seen on smuggling booze, smoking on the balcony, etc, etc? It would take one cruise before some start saying their cabin mate doesn't drink so only they should need to purchase Cheers. Once aboard they would be getting a drink, give it to the cabin mate and five minutes later, go get one for themselves. I know, some will say that wouldn't happen, but we all know it would, and so does Carnival.

I believe there's a per day drink limit anyway, so what difference does it make whether one person drinks 15 drinks in a "day" (24 hour period) or two people. I always get the soda card and so does my son but my husband doesn't drink soda and he doesn't have to get it. I might have one drink per day but the cheers program would be worth it for my husband. :(

Do other CCL Lines like Princess and HAL have the same rule that all people in the cabin over 21 must purchase drink packages?

No, just been on Princess Emerald and not everyone in the cabin has to buy the package, they are however hot on showing your card for each drink. There cocktails were not very nice.

On previous NCL they have the rule all passengers must buy, however when we explained my son is a non drinker they allowed him to not have to purchase it. This was the onboard bar that was selling the package.

I think it's a silly unfair rule. Not everyone in the cabin wants to buy the package, like said earlier a lot of people may drink one day but not the next. The reason why I buy it is so that almost everything is paid upfront, for me it would be cheaper to buy as I go.

personally, i wish they would offer a beer and wine only option like rccl does. but they don't and i still like to cruise with carnival and therefore i live with those limitations without complaining. not saying you're complaining but there are many others that complain why carnival isn't more like this and that. in my opinion, if someone wants things the way other lines do them then they should just sail those lines and then they won't have anything to complain about.

I agree I figure I can do it their way or find a line that does it my way. As it is I am coming out way ahead by not buying their package. Even at the discounted price I would lose money because honestly I'd have my bottled water and maybe one shake in a day but I'll admit I'd probably buy the package just in case I wanted other non alcoholic things to drink and that is where Carnival is losing money, on the people that would buy it just in case. In the end it's saving me money by them not having it so I'm not complaining lol

Even with bottled water and an occasional hot chocolate my drink costs at the end of the week are probably under $20 if I want a couple of shakes I would hit $30 or I could make them myself for free with the available ice cream and milk. With their non alcoholic version it'd be $100+ and I'd buy it for both of the kids too. Probably should be glad they don't offer it.

citcatt1, read my other, later, post. I know some disagree and that's fine, it's their prerogative. And as others have said, people don't like the product or rules are free to not buy it.

By the way, if you don't think it matters who drinks the drinks then why do both you and your son buy the soda card? Why not just buy one and share? Just curious.

Edited by Pyrate13

I believe there's a per day drink limit anyway, so what difference does it make whether one person drinks 15 drinks in a "day" (24 hour period) or two people. I always get the soda card and so does my son but my husband doesn't drink soda and he doesn't have to get it. I might have one drink per day but the cheers program would be worth it for my husband. :(

look up a few posts and your question will be answered. but in reality, it doesn't matter 'why' carnival does it this way, they just do. they don't have to explain why to me or you or anyone else. if one wants to sail carnival, those are the house rules. if one doesn't like the house rules there are other lines that do it differently and one of those may meet people's needs better.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Because the guy without the cheers package would be purchasing regular priced drinks from the bar without his buddy sharing his cheers package.

What happens if you get something you don't like? Are you expected to throw it away instead of giving it to someone else? Seems like the point of this type of program is to try new things, chances are there are going to be several drinks you try you won't like, what are you going to do with them that isn't going to be breaking the rules, other than dump them?

Also on big things like shakes, if you drink a little and don't want the rest you can't hand it off to your kid to finish, you are expected to dump it or it's considered sharing.

Like I said I don't plan to get the package but I do see where there are areas that "sharing" makes more sense than not. I don't see wasting a drink because you dont' like it or you don't want it all. But technically to stay within the rules that is what you should do. Which is ridiculous.

In our group of 6, 4 of us would possibly purchase the drinks package, the others are non drinker and child, but of the ones who do buy it, none of us would use it to the full extent, we would only have a max of 4-5 drinks, my husband only drinks a couple of beers, and he would only drink in the evening, and non of us drink everyday, now I'm sure there are lots of people like us out they are the reason why cruise companies sell these packages is because they make money. I understand what some of you say, people have the package and give their friends/family free drinks from it, but how are they free, and you are limited to a certain amount of drinks per day, so it's not like they cost the cruise company any money, it's the within the amount of drinks they are allowed in the package. Cannot see why thats a problem with some people on here.

They do in a way cost the line money. You and your husband in one cabin, you buy the package and he doesn't but you share with him so 7.5 drinks each, 15 drinks = $50 per day for the package. Now, on the other hand, you both purchase the package but still only drink 7.5 drinks each, same 15 drinks but now the line has taken in $100 per day. Over a 7 day cruise that's an additional $350 from that cabin.

It's a business and they are in business to make money and please their shareholders. Many lines do not make their profit off the price of the cruise, they make it off the extras that they sell you. Lines that allow the one person per cabin purchase of their drink package are making it up on something else and that something just might be an item you don't want but are still paying for one way or another so that the other guy doesn't need to buy the drink package.

I personally prefer to pay for what I want or use, as much as possible anyway, rather than paying for someone else.

I understand what some of you say, people have the package and give their friends/family free drinks from it, but how are they free, and you are limited to a certain amount of drinks per day, so it's not like they cost the cruise company any money, it's the within the amount of drinks they are allowed in the package. Cannot see why thats a problem with some people on here.

Hi Sheila

It's really not very hard to understand. The package is not for the sale of 15 drinks to be consumed at your discretion. They used to sell " drink tickets " that would amount to what you are describing.

They are selling a package for one individual's use where they can order up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hr. as well as other non alcoholic drinks. There is the stipulation that everyone in the cabin over the age of 21 purchase the "package", to discourage what you are describing.

I don't know about "Kent" but a lot of cities have transit systems where riders can purchase a monthly pass, for instance. Similar to what you are describing, it would allow unlimited rides to the bearer of the pass, so you could give it to a friend to use as well, right. It doesn't cost the transit system anything? Unfortunately is not what is being purchased and most people understand this. In the case of the bus pass, in most cities it is illegal to share and if caught you could be arrested and fined. Of course Carnival wont do that but you should understand why it is not allowed.

No morality police here, you can do what you want, but did you really not understand?

Hi Sheila

It's really not very hard to understand. The package is not for the sale of 15 drinks to be consumed at your discretion. They used to sell " drink tickets " that would amount to what you are describing.

They are selling a package for one individual's use where they can order up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hr. as well as other non alcoholic drinks. There is the stipulation that everyone in the cabin over the age of 21 purchase the "package", to discourage what you are describing.

I don't know about "Kent" but a lot of cities have transit systems where riders can purchase a monthly pass, for instance. Similar to what you are describing, it would allow unlimited rides to the bearer of the pass, so you could give it to a friend to use as well, right. It doesn't cost the transit system anything? Unfortunately is not what is being purchased and most people understand this. In the case of the bus pass, in most cities it is illegal to share and if caught you could be arrested and fined. Of course Carnival wont do that but you should understand why it is not allowed.

No morality police here, you can do what you want, but did you really not understand?

Of course I understand. And I understand Carnival reasons for stating its for the person who bought the package. If they did not everyone would be sharing them. What i was saying is Carnival would not be losing money as the drinks come from the 15 that the purchaser has already purchased, so I don't see why some people on here get so upset about it. Not trying to offend anyone.

Sorry, but I don't see it as ridiculous. These boards are full of people looking for ways to circumvent the rules. How many threads have we seen on smuggling booze, smoking on the balcony, etc, etc? It would take one cruise before some start saying their cabin mate doesn't drink so only they should need to purchase Cheers. Once aboard they would be getting a drink, give it to the cabin mate and five minutes later, go get one for themselves. I know, some will say that wouldn't happen, but we all know it would, and so does Carnival.

You are spot on.

The rules are clear.

Our choices are clear.

Ones does not have to purchase the Cheers package. One does not even have to sail on Carnival. But don't book a cruise knowing the rules and then whine and complain when they won't accommodate "special"circumstances.

The longer I frequent this forum, the more I understand the "Walmart of Cruising" reputation Carnival has earned.

I for one am not "upset", just trying to explain the reasoning and the business end. Forget the 15 limit number, many don't reach it anyway. If you can't see the difference between selling one package for $50 or two for $100 while still serving the same amount of drinks, I guess no amount of explaining is going to help. You'll not have to be concerned about anymore from me, I'm done. Enjoy your cruise.

Of course I understand. And I understand Carnival reasons for stating its for the person who bought the package. If they did not everyone would be sharing them. What i was saying is Carnival would not be losing money as the drinks come from the 15 that the purchaser has already purchased, so I don't see why some people on here get so upset about it. Not trying to offend anyone.

you are buying up to 15 drinks. if you only drank 7 drinks then you only purchased 7 drinks. Carnival's price point is less than the 15 drinks because they know most people wont hit the 15 drinks

if most/all people share it and the average gets closer to 15 per person, the price will go up and affect everyone. I believe that is the reason others get upset.

this is just like the smugglers saying that what they do affects no one and people should mind their own business. now Carnival stopped people from taking water and bottled soda aboard so it did affect everyone.

same concept. thats why people are passionate about this

Hi there

I thought I stated it clearly.

The package is not a purchase of 15 drinks per day. It is an agreement that for a certain amount of money up front a person may get up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day. That is why if a person can't/doesn't want to drink the 6-7 drinks every day that would approach the breakeven point for the consumer, they should opt out.

Sure you can share, but you can't justify it by suggesting that it is something you have paid for. Will you get caught if you do? Probably not.

I'm not upset (perhaps others may be) but I am surprised that you don't really seem to understand what it is that you have purchased.

have a good day

Edited by Nic6318

You are spot on.

The rules are clear.

Our choices are clear.

Ones does not have to purchase the Cheers package. One does not even have to sail on Carnival. But don't book a cruise knowing the rules and then whine and complain when they won't accommodate "special"circumstances.

The longer I frequent this forum, the more I understand the "Walmart of Cruising" reputation Carnival has earned.

I personally like Walmart....but you go ahead and pay $1000's more for a cruise because of a name brand :D

Edited by First and Ten

Thanks, I think you have all stated it clearly. I did understand it perfectly well, make more money selling two as opposed to one.............im not new to cruising. It does seem you are upset by your writing manner and remarks.

I have no intention of sharing any package, I just started off asking the question does everyone need to purchase the package in the cabin. My 26yr old son is a non drinker but sharing with his older sister who does want to buy the package, that's where people started to get upset, We don't even drink 6 drinks per day, but obviously we will drink water and probably the odd coffee. I just like to have things payed upfront, no surprises in your bill then.

I think we should drop it now. Peace and love and all that😊

In our group of 6, 4 of us would possibly purchase the drinks package, the others are non drinker and child, but of the ones who do buy it, none of us would use it to the full extent, we would only have a max of 4-5 drinks, my husband only drinks a couple of beers, and he would only drink in the evening, and non of us drink everyday, now I'm sure there are lots of people like us out they are the reason why cruise companies sell these packages is because they make money. I understand what some of you say, people have the package and give their friends/family free drinks from it, but how are they free, and you are limited to a certain amount of drinks per day, so it's not like they cost the cruise company any money, it's the within the amount of drinks they are allowed in the package. Cannot see why thats a problem with some people on here.

just as i can't see why people think it's okay to rationalize breaking the rules. the problem is if you don't like carnival's rules, don't sail carnival. it's just that easy. other cruise lines do things differently and if their alcohol program in more in line with your desires, sail those lines. but sailing carnival and complaining about their rules is just plain silly and in the case of giving your drinks to someone else is tantamount to theft because carnival is losing out on the sale it would have made if the person with the package hadn't shared it against the rules.

Edited by Computer Nerd

citcatt1, read my other, later, post. I know some disagree and that's fine, it's their prerogative. And as others have said, people don't like the product or rules are free to not buy it.

By the way, if you don't think it matters who drinks the drinks then why do both you and your son buy the soda card? Why not just buy one and share? Just curious.

Because I follow the rules. I'm just not a drinker so I would never pay 400.00 for the couple of drinks I would drink, but for my husband it WOULD be worth it. That's it! Nothing more! I know its a business and they're making money I just WISH everyone in the room didn't have to buy it. That's all. (plus the soda card doesn't cost 400.00)

Have read this thread while trying to decide whether or not to purchase Cheers. We aren't big drinkers, so an extra $700 seems like overkill.

Haven't seen anything about what the average cost for a mixed drink is, can someone chime in on that?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ATX_CRUISER

Have read this thread while trying to decide whether or not to purchase Cheers. We aren't big drinkers, so an extra $700 seems like overkill.

Haven't seen anything about what the average cost for a mixed drink is, can someone chime in on that?

Thanks in advance.

a beer is about 7 dollars, a foo-foo drink is about 10, and a mixed drink would be about 12. a can of soda is about 2.50.