Transport from Gatwick to Southhampton

If my ship docks at 5:30 AM in south hampton and I get early disembarkation, would it be reasonable to think that I could be at the National Coach bus station in south Hampton for 6:50 AM for the bus departure?? Thanks for all the help so far... [emoji173][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Docking and disembarking are totally different things. I think it would be highly unlikely that any passengers will be allowed to disembark earlier than 7:30.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

If my ship docks at 5:30 AM in south hampton and I get early disembarkation, would it be reasonable to think that I could be at the National Coach bus station in south Hampton for 6:50 AM for the bus departure?? Thanks for all the help so far...

It's Southampton. If you search anywhere for South Hampton, you will get an entirely different place.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if there is cabs/taxis that will be at the Southampton cruiseport that would be able to travel to Gatwick airport that would be reasonably priced??

Metered taxis lined up on spec at the port will be horrendously expensive for that length of journey, though for journeys out of Southampton city limits they can negotiate.

But much better to pre-book a private transfer.

Try www.smithsforairports.com or www.aquacars.co.uk or www.westquaycars.com

All three are based at the Southampton end, all three (esp Smiths) are frequiently used by CC members.

I guess somewhere under £100 for a sedan.

Journey time around 2 hours on weekdays, less at weekends.

For any more detail, come back here with your date, ship, number in party, and flight time

JB :)

Thanks very much for the replies! I disembark on Sunday... And the timing of my flight... Leaves me only to do a private transfer to the airport.

.............then perhaps it's a good thing that it's a sunday. Traffic will be light. :)

we have booked Smiths. We have arranged for pickup at Gatwick, stop at Stonehenge and then drop off in Southampton. Excellent customer service so far and very reasonably priced.

Thank you very much! I need the exact opposite minus the stonehenge!

• 4 weeks later...

We have booked with Smiths from Gatwick to Southampton. Very pleased with their customer service so far. A question for John Bull. Is it customary to tip the driver?? We certainly want to observe the local customs!!

Thank you.

Tips are a discretionary thing. If the driver is pleasant and helpful, a five pound note would be appropriate. If not then nothing. Unlike in many countries, these drivers do not depend on tips, but of course, they do appreciate them.

We have booked with Smiths from Gatwick to Southampton. Very pleased with their customer service so far. A question for John Bull. Is it customary to tip the driver?? We certainly want to observe the local customs!!

Thank you.

Our rate from Southampton to Heathrow was 74 pound. We rounded it to 80.

We also used Simply airports from Heathrow to Central London. Quote was 37 - gave 40.

Thank you.

Yes, it's usual - but it's not the big deal that it is in the States, nor is it at the same level. And you won't be chased down the road if you don't tip at all.

For good service -

Five pounds if you can say, "Here you go, old chap, here's a fiver for your trouble. Toodle-pip".in an impeccably English accent.

Or ten pounds if the best you can manage is "thanks, buddy, here's a ten-spot, have a nice day" in a southern drawl. :D

Poor service means no tip, whatever your accent.

ps. The transfer fare from Gatwick will be higher than the figures quoted on this thread from Heathrow

I've reached out through email to Smith's twice now, and there has been no response back? Is this normal or should I be concerned? Perhaps its too early to inquire the trip is in October. Thanks in advance.

I've reached out through email to Smith's twice now, and there has been no response back? Is this normal or should I be concerned? Perhaps its too early to inquire the trip is in October. Thanks in advance.

Their responses are normally excellent.

Very occasionally their computer doesn't like in-coming e-mail addresses / server / whatever, and I'm almost certain that your e-mails haven't reached them or have automatically gone into their spam file, hence no response..

Do you have another e-mail address that you can send from? Or even another computer?

No, it's certainly not too early to book for October.

Yes, it's usual - but it's not the big deal that it is in the States, nor is it at the same level. And you won't be chased down the road if you don't tip at all.

For good service -

Five pounds if you can say, "Here you go, old chap, here's a fiver for your trouble. Toodle-pip".in an impeccably English accent.

Or ten pounds if the best you can manage is "thanks, buddy, here's a ten-spot, have a nice day" in a southern drawl. :D

Poor service means no tip, whatever your accent.

ps. The transfer fare from Gatwick will be higher than the figures quoted on this thread from Heathrow

Thanks John Bull!!

Our quote from Gatwick to Southampton Holiday Inn was £78 plus £7 for parking. We will add a tip!!