Cheers in Europe and bringing alcohol on board at ports

Just came back from 5/24 vista.

Yes! No problem you can take liquior with you to your cabin we brought

A bottle of Limoncello and 2 more bottles of wine.

But we ended with a tab of $550 because We love mojitos and every night

We go Havana bar to have our mojitos love it!!

The Vista is a beautiful ship.

Any new reports from the Vista?

Would love to be able to get a bottle of some sparkling wine from italy to enjoy in the cabin whike prepaing for dinner.

You can totally do this. All sailings so far reporting doing this. We brought 3 good sized bottles of limoncello at one time on in Naples on our sailing and they went right to the room with us.

I just called Carnival today to ask about the VAT tax and whether it would be applied to the Cheers program if pre-purchased before the cruise. The customer service rep said that the VAT tax will be applied whether you buy Cheers before the cruise, or while on board. She said it is the same for the specialty restaurants. That no matter if you pay before the cruise or after boarding, the VAT tax will be applied when the ship leaves its home port.

Does anyone who has sailed from Barcelona know if this is true? I was going to get Cheers even though I am sailing with my daughter who will be 21 the week before the cruise, even though she doesn't drink much, in order to avoid the VAT tax. But if I am going to pay it no matter what...I might as well go with the "by the drink" pricing.

Also, I've heard 10% and 20% for the VAT tax...does anyone know which is true? TIA!!

Does anyone who has sailed from Barcelona know if this is true? I was going to get Cheers even though I am sailing with my daughter who will be 21 the week before the cruise, even though she doesn't drink much, in order to avoid the VAT tax. But if I am going to pay it no matter what...I might as well go with the "by the drink" pricing.

Also, I've heard 10% and 20% for the VAT tax...does anyone know which is true? TIA!!

Hope this helps.

Hello Gail,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

In regards to your inquiry, the rates are 10% drinks/ food and 21% everything else, we follow the standard VAT rates:

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/eu-vat-rates/

Please be advised that as long as you're not physically changing the names on the reservation, you'll be fine to swap cabins for your sleeping arrangements regarding the Cheers package.

Thank you for choosing Carnival.

Carnival Cruise Line | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178 |

You can totally do this. All sailings so far reporting doing this. We brought 3 good sized bottles of limoncello at one time on in Naples on our sailing and they went right to the room with us.

Thanks a lot!

Am really looking forward to extend the summer in the med, now even more. :)

My previous - non Carnival experience - of Barcelona port is that they X Ray you as you enter the terminal building, you then check-in and can buy alcohol in the shops between the check-in desks on the way through to embarkation. We have never been X rayed or searched again at the point of embarking the ship. On NCL in April, people were blatantly carrying bottles on with them and nobody seemed to be challenged. Given the low price in the shops, I'll be risking it on my Celebrity and Carnival cruises from Barcelona this year. I suspect they turn a blind eye at Barcelona as the store owners would no doubt be out of business if it wasn't for the alcohol sales.

My previous - non Carnival experience - of Barcelona port is that they X Ray you as you enter the terminal building, you then check-in and can buy alcohol in the shops between the check-in desks on the way through to embarkation. We have never been X rayed or searched again at the point of embarking the ship. On NCL in April, people were blatantly carrying bottles on with them and nobody seemed to be challenged. Given the low price in the shops, I'll be risking it on my Celebrity and Carnival cruises from Barcelona this year. I suspect they turn a blind eye at Barcelona as the store owners would no doubt be out of business if it wasn't for the alcohol sales.

You are allowed to bring on 1 bottle of wine per person over 21 on embarkation on Carnival.

With that said, in Europe we were allowed to bring alcohol on board during the May 24th sailing of the Vista without it being taken away.

We've never purchased Cheers but plan to on our 9/3 sailing. There are two of us. Here is why:

1. We go to Alchemy every night. Generally have 3-4 drinks between 7p-12a ($70).

2. I get an iced coffee and my wife a tea every morning from the specialty ship ($12).

3. We like to have a soda or two with dinner ($6).

4. We plan on getting quite a few bottles of water to bring with us into port. Probably 2-3 large bottles from the bar in the morning. We aren't doing excursions in every port but with all the walking regardless, we want to stay hydrated ($15).

5. I've been known to enjoy a mimosa or two with breakfast, and my wife a bloody Mary. Also a Twilight Zone before dinner or on a sea day. Again, we're not doing an excursion in every port so we expect to have a little more ship time. (maybe $8 a day based on one extra?)

See, we don't plan on changing our drinking (alcohol) habits so that we break even or get out ahead. It's nice for us to think we can not have to limit that one other drink just because. But now that Cheers includes other beverages, it makes sense for us. It's not for everyone and I am just sharing my guesstimates.

I still intend to buy a few bottles of wine (prosecco, champagne) back on board, but want to save those bottles and bring them home with me.

Edited by JennN

We've never purchased Cheers but plan to on our 9/3 sailing. There are two of us. Here is why:

1. We go to Alchemy every night. Generally have 3-4 drinks between 7p-12a ($70).

2. I get an iced coffee and my wife a tea every morning from the specialty ship ($12).

3. We like to have a soda or two with dinner ($6).

4. We plan on getting quite a few bottles of water to bring with us into port. Probably 2-3 large bottles from the bar in the morning. We aren't doing excursions in every port but with all the walking regardless, we want to stay hydrated ($15).

5. I've been known to enjoy a mimosa or two with breakfast, and my wife a bloody Mary. Also a Twilight Zone before dinner or on a sea day. Again, we're not doing an excursion in every port so we expect to have a little more ship time. (maybe $8 a day based on one extra?)

See, we don't plan on changing our drinking (alcohol) habits so that we break even or get out ahead. It's nice for us to think we can not have to limit that one other drink just because. But now that Cheers includes other beverages, it makes sense for us. It's not for everyone and I am just sharing my guesstimates.

I still intend to buy a few bottles of wine (prosecco, champagne) back on board, but want to save those bottles and bring them home with me.

Just be aware, large bottles of water are not included in the Cheers program. However, small bottles are included.

The Alchemy bar made Cheers worthwhile for me. Ioana and Maria will take care of you. [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just be aware, large bottles of water are not included in the Cheers program. However, small bottles are included.

The Alchemy bar made Cheers worthwhile for me. Ioana and Maria will take care of you. [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aahhhh thanks. Then 3 bottles of little waters per person :)

Yes, we had Ioana on the Victory last year and loved her (and are FB friends) but she's leaving a few weeks before we get on. So sad!

The port intensive schedule has made it difficult to get the maximum value out of it… but I have certainly tried.

We sprung for the case of water delivered to our room to take off in port with us. With temperatures in the 80's this was a must. I have also used Propel powder with them to help catch up on electrolytes lost from the previous night of imbibing. The fridge in our cabin holds about 15 of these bottles and we paid 3$ for a case of 12.

If you stick to standard drinks (i.e. Beer, rum and coke, gin and tonic), then it might be hard to get the value. We have had 3 ports that start before eight and get back around five. If you like higher end drinks then you can easily get the value. We love Alchemy and have had 5+ drinks there every day making it worth the price.

A couple words of caution. You can't get doubles with cheers even though I have had drinks with three or more shots in them. I like a double bourbon on the rocks (and they will try to upgrade you to a double until they find that you have cheers) but it's not allowed

Second warning is to bypass the wine bar. I got a $22 charge and had to go read the fine print to find that Cheers does not cover it.

Edited by solongshakespeare

Wine isn't included? Or was that just at the "wine bar"? It was having wine with meals that prompted me to get Cheers. I hope I've not messed up!

And what glass of wine cost you $22? Id expect a bottle for that! :p

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I were on the May 24 sailing out of Athens and we did not have our bags checked once. We initially brought on a bottle of wine and proseco then got some wine in other ports and we just brought it on board. maybe their rules are different in Europe but everyone seemed to be able to bring alcohol on board.

That's good to know - I have read it says you can take two bottles of wine - so I was planning on buying some duty free at the airport ! What spirit does the Italian lemon drink have in it ? Also can you use on board drinks package for glasses of wine in the dining rooms or buffet ? I've read posts that's people with bottomless bubbles were having problems getting served at the bars - can anyone give advice was thinking of getting it for my son - thanks

My son and I were on the May 24 sailing out of Athens and we did not have our bags checked once. We initially brought on a bottle of wine and proseco then got some wine in other ports and we just brought it on board. maybe their rules are different in Europe but everyone seemed to be able to bring alcohol on board.

Hi PattyL,

Did you put it in bags when you brought it aboard like in backpacks or something or just carry it on? Thank you. :-)

Hi PattyL,

Did you put it in bags when you brought it aboard like in backpacks or something or just carry it on? Thank you. :-)

From what I've read people did both...some even just carried on the bottle

I just called Carnival today to ask about the VAT tax and whether it would be applied to the Cheers program if pre-purchased before the cruise. The customer service rep said that the VAT tax will be applied whether you buy Cheers before the cruise, or while on board. She said it is the same for the specialty restaurants. That no matter if you pay before the cruise or after boarding, the VAT tax will be applied when the ship leaves its home port.

I think it may have been you in another thread that said this. The problem here of course is the customer service reps dont have a clue what they are talking about.

You need to understand first what you are being taxed for. Taxes are applied for PURCHASES you make while on board if you dont leave EU waters.

Buying cheers before you depart will mean no monitory transaction has physically taken place in the European Union. You will only be charged for drinks that you physically purchase or if you buy the cheers program on board and will have a further 10% added to the cost of cheers - and NOT as has been suggested as a tax on the drinks totted up that you've consumed. Or do these reps also think you will be charged tax on the food you consume also?

And yes, I have had this confirmed IN WRITING from Carnival.

From what I've read people did both...some even just carried on the bottle

Exactly!! Word spreader fast as often people were just loading up with the largest bottle of their choice and walking on the ship. Bottle in hand or in the obvious duty free bag. There was no need to try to hide it. I don't even think they cared how many bottles a person had as I carried on three and my partner had four in the backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk