Question about debarkation...Port Canaveral

Hey all,

We are on the Oasis Feb 19, 2017. I went to book our transfer to the airport and it gave us a time of 12:30pm. We've never sailed out of this port, but I was told the airport was a 1.5 hour ride away. We would never make it to our flight in time if we got a shuttle at 12:30!!

I called RCI yesterday but was told that the ground transportation department was closed on the weekends, so no way to question it until Tuesday.

Anyone know if there are earlier shuttles? Cabs? How much would a cab cost - the shuttle is $46 per person. There are 3 of us. We are willing to carry our own luggage off early.

Yes, I am a planner and now this is bothering me!! Since we've never sailed RCI or from this port, I am clueless.

On the plus side, while she was trying to help me with this we were able to save a bit on our cruise by taking advantage of the Canadian resident's offer currently available...after another CSR told me it was a new bookings only offer a few days ago. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice!

If you are referring to Orlando International Airport (MCO), it takes about 45 minutes to get there from the port.

There are private shuttle companies that you can use. Several commonly mentioned are Cortans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle, and Travelynx. Cortrans charges $20 per person.

Edited by clarea

Rent a car. The car rental company picks you up at the pier, short drive to car rental company. $40- 50.00 for a SUV including tax, plus a few gallons of gas. We have done this a few times. With 2 adults and 2 teenage boys with alot of luggage - 4 carry ons and 4 suitcases and also with just 2 adults.

You can either walk off with your luggage or request an earlier time. If the rental car vans are not there for pickup and quick call and they come with in 10 minutes.

Rent a car. The car rental company picks you up at the pier, short drive to car rental company. $40- 50.00 for a SUV including tax, plus a few gallons of gas. We have done this a few times. With 2 adults and 2 teenage boys with alot of luggage - 4 carry ons and 4 suitcases and also with just 2 adults.

You can either walk off with your luggage or request an earlier time. If the rental car vans are not there for pickup and quick call and they come with in 10 minutes.

I agree, rent a car. It will be cheaper and better than taking the shuttle. The drive is normally less than a hour. Then add about 1/2 hour for picking up the rental car. If you carry your own luggage of the ship. You should be off the ship by 8am and at the airport by 930am

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing there are other (and CHEAPER!) options. We are leaning towards renting, though I have bookmarked the shuttle sites too. Off to cancel the RCI shuttle

Two things

OASIS is not yet running from Canaveral, it moves here in the fall, so certain details of how things are gonna work are yet to be seen. But it is taking FREEDOM's place, and that too is BIG so ....

IMO that 1230 time is "wrong". IME they want everyone off and gone as near to 10am as possible - speaking for all the other ships here. They typically will start boarding by 11 ..... they don't have people moving "both ways" in the terminal ....

and yes the port to airport is about 45 miles . . . highway door to door and traffic is going 70 plus . . .

I don't recommend you take MY word for it .... but IMO something is wrong here ....

it is going to take an hour just to get through Customs. The new terminal bottlenecks everyone at Customs. When we departed Freedom May 15 it took us 45 minutes to snake through the line to get to an agent. If you get a porter, they have their own line which is usually shorter at times. Suite guests and pinnacles also have their own customs line.

Two things

OASIS is not yet running from Canaveral, it moves here in the fall, so certain details of how things are gonna work are yet to be seen. But it is taking FREEDOM's place, and that too is BIG so ....

IMO that 1230 time is "wrong". IME they want everyone off and gone as near to 10am as possible - speaking for all the other ships here. They typically will start boarding by 11 ..... they don't have people moving "both ways" in the terminal ....

and yes the port to airport is about 45 miles . . . highway door to door and traffic is going 70 plus . . .

I don't recommend you take MY word for it .... but IMO something is wrong here ....

I really thought that the time was funky but at first was OK with it. Then double checked our flight out. I've read enough here to know that people are on the ship long before the time they gave me. I'll take your word for it ;)

We would not rent a car just because of all that is involved. We took Cortrans Shuttle direct from the pier to the airport and it was fabulous. $20.00 each person, no tax, pay when you arrive (not in advance). Couldn't have been simpler. A car rental may seem like a feasible option but there are always extras, just so you know.

http://www.cortrans-shuttle.com/

I agree, rent a car. It will be cheaper and better than taking the shuttle. The drive is normally less than a hour. Then add about 1/2 hour for picking up the rental car. If you carry your own luggage of the ship. You should be off the ship by 8am and at the airport by 930am

Cortrans shuttle is $20pp. Hardly a savings of the hassle of renting a car

We would not rent a car just because of all that is involved. We took Cortrans Shuttle direct from the pier to the airport and it was fabulous. $20.00 each person, no tax, pay when you arrive (not in advance). Couldn't have been simpler. A car rental may seem like a feasible option but there are always extras, just so you know.

http://www.cortrans-shuttle.com/

Another negative on renting a car. You rent the car in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral and return it to Orlando location which may or may not be on airport property. You will need to find a gas station to fill the tank before returning car. Way, way to much hassle for a planner. I am one too. I , without a second thought would follow the suggestion for the shuttle. Sit back and relax on the drive and enjoy the local scenery. We lived in Orlando for 10 years and being a tourist mecca, you don't need the stress after returning from a wonderful cruise. If you were planning to stay overnight in Orlando, that would be a different story. Friend who worked for car rental at MCO said many people have accidents before they get off airport property. Let the driving to the professionals.

Another negative on renting a car. You rent the car in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral and return it to Orlando location which may or may not be on airport property. You will need to find a gas station to fill the tank before returning car. Way, way to much hassle for a planner. I am one too. I , without a second thought would follow the suggestion for the shuttle. Sit back and relax on the drive and enjoy the local scenery. We lived in Orlando for 10 years and being a tourist mecca, you don't need the stress after returning from a wonderful cruise. If you were planning to stay overnight in Orlando, that would be a different story. Friend who worked for car rental at MCO said many people have accidents before they get off airport property. Let the driving to the professionals.

I agree with this, we usually rent a car from the airport to the cruise terminal, and take a shuttle at the end of the cruise back to the airport. The gas stations right next to the airport have truly obscene pricing, so you have know to go a bit farther to get more reasonable pricing.