NCL vs Carnival

Hi everyone. We just booked our next cruise on the NCL Dawn in April 2017. We will be on the last cruise out of NOLA before it goes to Boston for the summer. We have been on Carnival a couple times and have NEVER been on NCL. I was wondering if ya'll could help me with some of the differences to expect once onboard. Things you like more or dislike more? Or just things to look our for or that is noteworthy. Any info or advice is very much appreciated!! We are looking forward to our cruise.

Also, if it makes a difference, it will be myself and my husband brining our 2 18 year old children (daughter and step-son)and a friend of my daughter's.

There is no FTTF on NCL so unless you are platinum or staying in a Suite/Haven there is no priority boarding. My DH is going on the Dawn in July with his DB. It is an older ship but there is still plenty to do.

There is no real difference in ships except the newer larger ones have more activities. Both lines have free and paid venues for dining. Pre-ordering water will cost much more on NCL. Yep-I am spoiled by the lower cost on Carnival. That said the water on NCL is fine and no need to purchase bottled water unless it is your preference.

Take a peek around as there are many threads that asked this same question. I think you will have a great time.

I just posted my CC review comparing the two lines- http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for that link! We have 2 NCL cruises booked after a 10 year hiatus from NCL. Even though we are Platinum on Carnival we decided to give NCL another try since Carnival's prices have gone up and the entertainment has gone down.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We have sailed on Princess, Carnival, Holland America and NCL.

Our first NCL cruise was last year. Very sad they are no longer sailing out of Houston. :-(

Entertainment on NCL was much better. Much!

The NCL app is awesome. You can pay a fee of about $10 pp to use it for texting or calling others on the ship. Just Hubby and I were on the trip, so didn't see a need for that feature. The rest of the app is free to use all week on their wifi. You can check your account balance, make dinner reservations, make shore excursion reservations and find out what activities are going on. The only thing that would improve the app would be if it had a deck map on it.

We make our cruise choices based on where we want to go and what it will cost. We prefer a balcony cabin for a warm weather cruise, and prefer an oceanview cabin for Alaska.

The great thing is that you will be out of NOLA which means that you are in a great city! I would aim for being at the port around noon which puts you later than the majority of folks, so you are later than most and won't have a very big wait to board. There are plenty of places nearby for a a cocktail and breakfast.